Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Keith at Aylesbury Crown Court
Posted by: Susie ()
Date: August 18, 2011 23:41

Believe it or not I was there with my college friend taking photos after the verdict and fine… the press were bothering them and poor Keith looked exhausted, although Mick was in good form and fairly good humoured.

They were in The Bell and there was some sort of kerfuffle in the lobby — lights, flashes noise and questions (mainly really stupid ones). Mick was shepherding Keith into a private bar away from them, Keith looked as though he was on the point of collapsing, as they walked past us, Louise and I caught his eye and quietly asked Keith if we could take a few more shots for our college work. To our amazement, Mick said ok — I suppose we were non-threatening young girls, totally different from all those straight pushy pressmen — so we got our private audience.

We didn't hassle Keith with any questions and only took about 10 photos, he looked totally whacked and ill and it would have been rude and unkind to demand anything more. We felt protective and wanted nothing so much as to take him home and tuck him up in bed with a hot water bottle and a mug of cocoa (really not my envisaged reaction to meeting the rock star I'd idolised since I was 12!). Mick was just so kind — they really have (had?) a deep brotherly bond, which I think is obvious in the photo below… unfortunately I've lost the negs and only have a couple of prints — this is the best one.

Another strange thing about that day: the presiding judge was Judge Verney… I was at art college with a couple of his daughters, they were a really cool family and quite bohemian. Keith really has the luck of the devil, even when it comes to judges, God bless him and his Glimmer Twin.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-19 16:48 by Susie.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 18, 2011 23:57

Susie thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 19, 2011 00:16

....Nice story Susie .... And thanks for sharing

ROCKMAN

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 19, 2011 00:20

that photo is EXCELLENT

thank you Susie.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 19, 2011 11:06

Thank you Susie - lovely story and a beautiful picture.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: August 19, 2011 11:26

Thank you for sharing your story Susie.

Posted by: kater-v ()
Date: August 19, 2011 19:29

Thank you for your story, Susie!
Please,could you remember, what that work for the collage was than had demanded the photos of Keith and Mick? And maybe you could show the other shot nevertheless?

Posted by: sizey ()
Date: August 19, 2011 19:55

Edith Grove
Wasn't this taken outside the court ?

it's outside the Ship Hotel in Chichester June 1967
Simon

Posted by: sizey ()
Date: August 19, 2011 20:01

Lovely and rare- Lovely and funny.

[www.itnsource.com]

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: August 19, 2011 20:23

"The kids in the gallery gasp, that's just what it was - a communal release of relief - and then there's DEAD SILENCE as he's found guilty of possessing coke."

OK, what am I misunderstanding - why was everyone relieved that Keith was found guilty?!

Thanks to Susie for that cracking photo - I love it when the boys hug. Isn't Jagger a cheeky charmer in the clip Sizey posted, "I never miss a case."

Harlem Shuffler, where have you gone? Will we ever hear his Redlands story...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-19 21:03 by Claire_M.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 19, 2011 21:24

Susie
Believe it or not I was there with my college friend taking photos after the verdict and fine… the press were bothering them and poor Keith looked exhausted, although Mick was in good form and fairly good humoured.

They were in The Bell and there was some sort of kerfuffle in the lobby — lights, flashes noise and questions (mainly really stupid ones). Mick was shepherding Keith into a private bar away from them, Keith looked as though he was on the point of collapsing, as they walked past us, Louise and I caught his eye and quietly asked Keith if we could take a few more shots for our college work. To our amazement, Mick said ok — I suppose we were non-threatening young girls, totally different from all those straight pushy pressmen — so we got our private audience.

We didn't hassle Keith with any questions and only took about 10 photos, he looked totally whacked and ill and it would have been rude and unkind to demand anything more. We felt protective and wanted nothing so much as to take him home and tuck him up in bed with a hot water bottle and a mug of cocoa (really not my envisaged reaction to meeting the rock star I'd idolised since I was 12!). Mick was just so kind — they really have (had?) a deep brotherly bond, which I think is obvious in the photo below… unfortunately I've lost the negs and only have a couple of prints — this is the best one.

Another strange thing about that day: the presiding judge was Judge Verney… I was at art college with a couple of his daughters, they were a really cool family and quite bohemian. Keith really has the luck of the devil, even when it comes to judges, God bless him and his Glimmer Twin.

Best thing I've read on the Stones for ages. Welcome on board Susie. Any chance of seeing the other photos. Did you ever take any of them at gigs?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 19, 2011 21:40

Thank you Susie. Lovely story

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 19, 2011 22:41

Mathijs
Deltics
New Musical Express Thursday January 15, 1977

The court heard that forensic tests showed the silver tube on the chain to contain traces (130 milligrams) of an off white powder, including 39 milligrams of pure cocaine.

So Sessler even cheated his employer -smiling smiley

Mathijs

lmfao, I thought maybe so too, but the other 91 mg could have just been "unpure" cocaine. A core sample of evidence in that tube , determining just when Sessler showed up at the party and it became pure. big smile .

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 19, 2011 23:16

this thread rocks! its all about big brother beatin down the great unwashed of the world, really. Susie your stuff really appreciated. Those court documents were quite an interesting read. I kinda like the way they talked, "be a pillar and show up for judgement when called". Thank heavens the guard is finally changing and big brother has rotated into Big Sister. Let the chicks rules for a while. Can I get you a cold drink? peace.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 19, 2011 23:24

ahh what a beautiful shot! i've seen a few of the same scene in assorted publications,
but this one is just wonderful - look at the man's eyes!

thank you Susie - for the photo, for the charming story, and for being kind and sensitive at the time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-20 10:32 by with sssoul.

Date: August 20, 2011 00:11

Sadly as I said, I lost the negatives although I might have a good hunt in the loft — it's a long time ago and I'm amazed I managed to keep the print safe all this time (I'm not too organised).

I used to think Mick was rather a ruthless arrogant bugger, but he's a sweetie and I was really impressed with the support he gave Keith that day — very mature. I should think he was relieved it wasn't gaol for Keith — it would have been a disaster for them with visas and touring especially the Far East and the US at the time. Perhaps the judge knew his daughters would give him hell for evermore if he'd gaoled a Stone winking smiley I know I would have if it were my dad. But I suspect it was because he was a perceptive judge who could see Keith had enough problems. He wasn't a well man.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-20 16:40 by Susie.

Date: August 20, 2011 00:29

Just a college photo-journalism project… there wasn't the security around in those days and wall of PR people etc. so it was a lot easier to access super stars. I guess that all changed when Lennon was shot.

The next month my friend got a gig photographing Margaret Thatcher as the new leader of the Conservatives. We were all dying to hear how obnoxious and bossy she'd be, but quite the reverse. She made my friend some tea and asked her if she'd worn the right clothes and offered to change if they were wrong. Quite motherly, utterly charming and nice and said something about she hoped very much my friend would be successful when she left college.

Date: August 20, 2011 00:52

Silver Dagger

Best thing I've read on the Stones for ages. Welcome on board Susie. Any chance of seeing the other photos. Did you ever take any of them at gigs?

Sadly not — I was always too busy DANCING

Once though, a bit later that year, I was backstage at a Clash gig at Finsbury Park (?)… long story… and watching the support which I think was the NY band Suicide. I muttered "God this really is all too doom gloom and heroin, I'm off…" and this beautiful girl in a pink suit standing next to me roared with laughter and we chatted away for a couple of minutes.

I went back to join my boyfriend whose jaw was dropping to the floor.

"Do you know who that was?!!" "no" "You've been talking to Marianne Faithfull!" I had no idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-20 01:02 by Susie.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: August 20, 2011 06:01

Naturalust
lmfao, I thought maybe so too, but the other 91 mg could have just been "unpure" cocaine. A core sample of evidence in that tube , determining just when Sessler showed up at the party and it became pure. big smile .

Not only that, but 100mg of cocaine or some similar powder is quite a lot and would probably completely clog such a tube (speaking from analytical chemistry experience here of course!).

The inaccuracy in reporting never ceases to amaze me. If details are mentioned about something I know anything about, it is usually wrong. Makes me wonder about the other 95%.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 20, 2011 10:59

Sipuncula
If details are mentioned about something I know anything about, it is usually wrong. Makes me wonder about the other 95%.

Absolutely. I thought it was only me

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 21, 2011 22:38

Susie, I think you should post that picture of yours on this thread:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 22, 2011 00:01

Thanks for the lovely photo Suzie.

With regard Les Perrin, who was a great friend of mine, he had a long illness but he and his wonderful wife were friends of Mick and the Stones til the end.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: August 22, 2011 20:31

Question for Susie

How did you know where the press conference would be? Was it common knowledge in Aylesbury?

Date: September 8, 2011 13:04

The Bell was the only large hotel in the market square Aylesbury near the court so it was a no brainer. We were locals.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: September 10, 2011 21:50

Susie
The Bell was the only large hotel in the market square Aylesbury near the court so it was a no brainer. We were locals.

Thank you, Susie. I guess he arrived by car to avoid as much hassle as possible.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 11, 2011 00:20

Thanx and great photo! Even better than the "official" ones . .

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1574
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home