Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A Rolling Stones Musical a la "We Will Rock You"
Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: July 14, 2009 23:06

Does anyone think that this is a possibility? Would it be something that people would enjoy? I would like to get people's constructive feedback?

Re: A Rolling Stones Musical a la "We Will Rock You"
Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: July 14, 2009 23:07

I think there's something along those lines already in London called Satisfaction. Never seen it.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: July 14, 2009 23:47

I have written musicals for Schools and have always thought it would be a great idea to do a Stones Musical, perhaps something on the lines of Return to the Forbidden Planet.

I also thought it would be good to put something together using all the old Screaming Lord Sutch music from the sixties.

Date: July 15, 2009 00:40

Sir Jagger
Stones tongues on doggie clothes
"I can't get no" - The Musical

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: July 15, 2009 02:13

please, no musicals based on Stones musicthumbs down

Date: July 15, 2009 02:43

Doctor Dear!
please, no musicals based on Stones musicthumbs down
ç

Agreed. Musicals are lame and tacky.

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: July 15, 2009 06:15

And gay.

Date: July 15, 2009 12:11

This is a genuine inquiry, it's fine if you don't like musicals, but a lot of people do, and there is something innately theatrical about the songs the Stones have recorded, so having seen We Will Rock You many times(for work, I work in the theatre), and not being either a big Queen fan or of musicals, it nevertheless strikes me as something that might work very well.

So anything constructive, more in depth, would be really useful.

I don't take offence easily, especially with fans of my favourite band, but I find the last comment, by boogie69, really surprising, and unnecessary.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 15, 2009 12:32

To be honest, since the Stones have always been marketed as the bad boys, I don't think a musical would be such a great idea.
It's OK for Queen, ABBA, or maybe the Beatles, but I don't think it can be that good for a genuine rock band.

I might be wrong though, and I wonder if any Stone fan visiting this board ever went to see Satisfaction, which was played in London a few years ago.
What was it exactly ???

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 15, 2009 12:48

tomcat2006
I think there's something along those lines already in London called Satisfaction. Never seen it.

Yes, I attended a showing around two years ago. The dancing is mildly entertaining, although in all truthfulness, the whole performance is just a little weird. The show starts in he 1960's and works its way up to the current era. Among the performances I recollect: Citadel and This Place Is Empty. Some of the song choices were bizarre to say the least.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: July 15, 2009 12:51

i hate musicals! this is not art it is dulling the mind.
if they tried i doubt it would be successful. not enough hits in the grandma and housewifes section.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 15, 2009 13:15

"It's OK for Queen, ABBA, or maybe the Beatles"

These musicals tend to be for bands that have stopped making music so the members can make money. Something the Stones don't have a problem with.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 15, 2009 13:16

I guess a musical would fit perfectly in the (anti) climax: club-show, arena-show, stadium-show, musical.

I am no expert when it comes to musicals, but from what I've seen it is all based on numbing
the audience with visual effects and overproduced sound, so you won't be noticing the actual
music.

I guess that's just one more step away from what Rock 'n Roll is all about.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 15, 2009 14:19

"Satisfaction" played while the Stones where at the O2. Didn't went to see it but I can not say I was not curious, but since the real thing was on town for the week didn't find it necessary to go see it, don't even know if it's a musical and I really hate 'em, but I would surely attend to a Stones based musical or whatever. Even if I'm called gay.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: July 15, 2009 14:20

A Rolling Stones Musical - please God, don't be so cruel!

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 15, 2009 14:53

ablett
"It's OK for Queen, ABBA, or maybe the Beatles"

These musicals tend to be for bands that have stopped making music so the members can make money. Something the Stones don't have a problem with.

It's also bands which are "poppy", easy to listen to, and we must admit it : far more popular. Popularity ain't a sign of quality, though.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 15, 2009 15:06

leteyer
"Satisfaction" played while the Stones where at the O2. Didn't went to see it but I can not say I was not curious, but since the real thing was on town for the week didn't find it necessary to go see it, don't even know if it's a musical and I really hate 'em, but I would surely attend to a Stones based musical or whatever. Even if I'm called gay.

IMO, a musical has a 'plot' of some description: 'Satisfaction' does not.

It quite literally a series of dance routines put to Stones music.

I understand there was supposed to be some kind of meaning behind each routine, but really it was all rather vague, - and well, rubbish to be frank.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 15, 2009 20:55

if the stones did this god forbid what's next some circue de solie crap ?if this happens you know its officaly OVER .

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: July 15, 2009 21:32

I remember reading about a Stones musical in London maybe 20 years ago. I think it was called Let the Good Stones Roll. It certainly didn't last long.

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: July 15, 2009 22:17

I think this would be a great idea. When you need to take out a mortgage to see the Stones it would be great to be able to experience their music in the West End at a lesser price. And you can go for a nice meal as well. Even better there will be an interval and it's easier to get drinks!

Date: July 15, 2009 22:48

Yes it was called "Let The Good Stones Roll", I saw it, in about 1977 at the Ambassadors Theatre, and yes it was basically rubbish, it transferred from the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

I'm thinking something more imaginative based on a strong storyline, perhaps adapted from The Master and Margarita/Faust/Bible, because Jagger/Richards, and I suppose most probably Jagger, has a lot of ideas that have a dark theme one way or another.....However I do think that there are plenty of "uplifting" upbeat songs that would lend themselves to a dramatic treatment.

I think with the right orchestrations it could be very powerful, Jagger has always had theatrical performance in his bones; character names would be easy and plentiful, heartbreak would never be far away, but an anthemic storming "You Can't Always Get What You Want" performed by a young energetic band and cast, with an audience of 2000 people all singing along would be a great spectacle.

I directed a young cast in a very stripped down version of "Tommy" a few years ago, and watching "Pinball Wizard" with all the families, on a Saturday night in Glasgow, go mad was truly exciting....

I know there are many reasons for not doing it, but I do think it's worth exploring further, I'd much rather see a Rolling Stones musical than a Queen one any day....

Date: July 16, 2009 02:31

Come on a few positive options please....

Date: July 16, 2009 11:20

I realize that it does not sound like a smiling smiley sound idea...
Nevertheless, last yr I did see a really good musical on Janis Joplin
- so there is hope! [www.lovejanisthemusical.com]
Would require all the right ingredients of course: script/tunes/direction/acting
one would think. Likely to take place after the Stones take their final bow. [imo]

Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: July 16, 2009 18:20

NO

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 16, 2009 18:32

And no reality shows.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2240
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home