Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Why are you a completist?
Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: July 14, 2009 22:33

Because of the generous nature of many posters, it is possible to amass a very large collection of material. But why do you do it?

1. If you have all of the legal issues, do you then collect coloured vinyl, cassette versions, foreign issues, of the same songs?

2. If you collect bootlegs, is this restricted to studio outakes, concerts, or both?

3. What about DVD's?

4. Do you buy CDRs? If not, why not? Would you not buy a rarity just because it was on CDR or where would you compromise your principles?

5. Has it gotta be FLAC? Not MP3?

6. Sheet music, posters, coffee mugs....?

Personally, it's always been about the music and the format is not really relevant if it's stuff I haven't already got. And coloured vinyls ( OK, vinyl is outdated but, hey, we're completists!) are just for tourists.

I'm not a completist, just want the stuff I like. But you guys who are, where do you draw the line and can you see a time when you will stop?

Re: Why are you a completist?
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 14, 2009 22:39

People, various friends, family, etc... tell me I'm a Stones fanatic, that I have 18 versions of the same thing, whatever.

I don't. I do have the Love Is Strong promo and the regular ol' CD single with the shitty remixes and The Storm. So that's 2. I think that's the only single of the Stones I have two CDs for. In fact, I could list all I have and it wouldn't take up much room on one page here. It's just not that much.

I always laugh at them when they say that. You think I am a Stones fanatist? Or whatever, I always say something different or make a word up. YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

So I certainly am not a completist and I never will be.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: July 14, 2009 23:01

1. If you have all of the legal issues, do you then collect coloured vinyl, cassette versions, foreign issues, of the same songs?
Almost everything.

2. If you collect bootlegs, is this restricted to studio outakes, concerts, or both?
Both

3. What about DVD's?
Yep

4. Do you buy CDRs? If not, why not? Would you not buy a rarity just because it was on CDR or where would you compromise your principles?
No CDr:s, has to be silverdiscs

FLAC, no MP3:s unless I´m putting it in my MP3 player, only place where those files belong.

Yep, but only original posters, no reprints or copies.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 15, 2009 01:08

To help compensate the sorrows of my Shame Cycle.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 16, 2009 07:18

I think there are completists in different categories, many of which you have named. But there are even more things to collect and many different permutations within each.

I would like Matt Lee to answer the question.

plexi

Posted by: winter ()
Date: July 16, 2009 10:02

i am a completist because i know that once i have everything, there will still be one thing i don't have; an incomplete collection, so it becomes circular and liberating, and i settle for being a majority-ist instead of a completist.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 16, 2009 13:48

OCD is another source of Completism.

Posted by: Orbit ()
Date: July 16, 2009 15:42

Basically collect the music i.e. all the versions, mixes, B-sides etc etc. Originally on vinyl, now on CD.

2. If you collect bootlegs, is this restricted to studio outtakes, concerts, or both?

Both

3. What about DVD's?

Yes but perhaps not to quite the same degree as audio.

Normally only trade CD-R's. However sometmes will buy/trade CD-R if its the 1000th re-release that claims to be from an improved source. If it's a significant improvement will then buy it as a silver disc.

Neither. CD or vinyl only.

Some stuff but am quite choosy. Certainly not a completist here.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 16, 2009 17:43

Sheet music is usually wrong, therefor it's worthless.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: July 17, 2009 09:26

Plexi you are so right! Their is a whole world of stuff to collect out there that many overlook! I have answered below and raised a few more categories....

Generally I only collect US/UK/Japan of vinyl and promo CD. for Ronnie/Faces I collect everything.

Both.

3. What about DVD's?
Yes but only ones in the nice Euro digipacks, I almost never have time to sit and watch a DVD so I usally only get to enjoy the music.

Never bought one (at least a bootleg one - I have bought promo only CD-R's, often referred to as CD-R Acetates, which I have always thought is a little bit of a grand title). I have loads of both the bootleg and promo ones but other than a few of the promo ones I missed out on I don't buy them.

At 33 I probably young enough to know the difference but I don't. I don't collect computer files....

Interesting 3 categories to pick, I have answered and added some more (there are still many more on top of these too!)

Sheet Music: One with interesting covers like Tumblin' Dice yes but generally not (I have started getting more recently through lack of ability to find stuff in the other categories I am more passionate about).

Posters: Yes but generally only album promo and concert posters, not magazine personality ones and only ever originals. Nothing against re-prints but to me they don't generate the same energy and feeling of the music.

Coffee Mugs: Official promo only ones yes others generally no.

Passes: Yes, all years all tours prefer laminates to stick on's but collect every type in every colour for every city.

Tickets: not that wild about (appart from concerts I went to) but have quite alot.

Press Kits: All, tour/album/solo whatever, love these!

Picks: All, the city ones from 06 drove me particularly crazy (I am still missing 4 or 5 cities, there are 70 something different ones including cancelled/moved dates). Also used sticks (not worth making a category just for them).

Guitars: I wished heavily used but alas not (yet). I have many signed, promo or hand painted (by Ronnie) ones though. I have a couple of Charlie cymbals too.

Artwork: 50+ Ronnie prints plus 3 originals (outside artworked guitars). Original drawings by Charlie and Keith too.

Promo stuff: promo radios, promo cases, promo sun glasses, promo jotters, promo torches, promo matches, promo keyrings, promo...promo anything (official record company stuff only though).

Itineries: all tours both entourage and crew

Set Lists: not unless they are hand written or annotated, never worried about the photocopied ones (even if they are "orginal" photocopies i.e. done on the band copier)

Backstage signs, decorations etc: Yes, particularly if it is custom stuff.

Clothing: Concert T-shirts for classic shows (club shows or special venues, particularly that I have been to), promo only stuff or band worn stuff (alas I have little of the band worn stuff but my limited range does include one Ronnie shoe!).

Lyrics: Something I would love more of, very hard to get and I only have a couple of Ronnie solo ones. I do have letters from all band members though (except MT) (similar category I guess).

Magazines: Stones covers (ones I like), Ronnie of Faces covers (all) articles inside (absolutely not, I would need an aircraft hanger).

Handbills / Flyers: 60's ones are one of the favourite things I collect.

Programmes: I get particularly excited about ones for individual dates in the early 60's.

Merchandise: The nice / cool looking stuff yes but generally no, silver coins, skate boards, converse, blimps etc...

Books: Ones I like, especially ones with memorabilia in or rare collectible ones. I collect every Genesis book in Deluxe and Standard for example, Stu, the first printing of "Ode to a High flying Bird", stuff like that.

Autographs: love these, got loads and always happy to get more

Photographs: promo ones yes, others generally no but if I see one I particularly like I get it or interesting personal / individual ones.

Shop displays: In all types all sizes (at least until I get married!)

Solo stuff: In all the categories above (and all for Faces/Birds too)

There must be so many more categories that I can't think of this early in the morning! What ever you collect as long as you enjoy it then happy days!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 17, 2009 11:42

Coloured Vinyl is always poor sounding but I'll buy it. Foreign issues, Yes.

2. If you collect bootlegs, is this restricted to studio outakes, concerts, or both? Studio outtages is the thing, and it's not much out there to catch with the Stones

3. What about DVD's? Boring

4. Do you buy CDRs? If not, why not? Would you not buy a rarity just because it was on CDR or where would you compromise your principles? Not any more. The'eyd failed with the sound

5. Has it gotta be FLAC? Not MP3? For kids only

6. Sheet music, posters, coffee mugs....? T-shirts, caps, scarfs but not bleeding coffee mugs...well maybe ever coffee mugs..

I admit, I'm a completist, badly injured

2 1 2 0

Posted by: arc-angel ()
Date: July 17, 2009 18:58

I mainly collect Stones records from Germany / UK / US and some special Japan issues, but regarding the Debut album I collect ALL issues from around the world (started with the first issues in mono, then stereo and now the remaining re-issues). So many times the same songs...

I collect both, but have at least more of the concert boots ... also here vinyl records, but I have also more than hundred boot CD's

3. What about DVD's?
I also started to buy some DVD's a few years ago, but slowed that down in favour of fine old vinyl.

No, I never bought one and never will. I know how easy tons of that can be produced ... and then be sold expensive. Furthermore I would miss the sleeve, photos etc.

No collection of that kind of stuff ... I only feed my iPhone / iPod, because I have to travel a lot.

YES, but only sheet music which are old, Posters only the original ones (tour and promo posters) and some other rare promo stuff, like tour programmes, press folders etc., but no cups or mugs.

Matt - a pretty cool listing, you're great!

If I had to decide between some rare items to buy, the 1st priority is VINYL, second are promo items and 3rd are CD's.

... and by the way I do also collect Ronnie & Faces ...

Andreas

Date: July 17, 2009 21:46

winter wrote: ... and i settle for being a majority-ist instead of a completist.

i love it, great term!!

Now, I wanna hear stones-relics reply to all this!! or did he drop off the board and has not come back?

plexi

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: July 17, 2009 23:59

arc-angel
... and by the way I do also collect Ronnie & Faces ...

Andreas

A man of wealth and taste!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 22, 2009 15:05

I've been meaning to post to this...

I do have some boots. I started to get into the boots and wanted everything but that's excessive because there's so much out there. I have a few studio outtake boots, but mostly live shows. All I really want in terms of boots is the shows that I attended, and unfortunately, I have very few of those. In fact only 2, so I've a long way to go here.

The only promos I really like to consider myself collecting are the album promos for all of the CD era albums. I don't collect vinyl; CDs only, so this makes it a bit easier. However, some, like the Bridges and Flashpoint promos, are pricey and have yet to be obtained.

I will branch out to CD single promos when that is the only version available for that single (such as Flip the Switch), and the single has artwork (a cardboard sleeve at the least). Otherwise I won't be bothered - I'm not going to collect CD-Rs, as they're too easily faked IMO, but I do want to have everything that's been made available on CD in my collection.

I have a couple of prints, various other accessory items, and the autographs of Mick, Keith, Charlie, and Bill. I do hope to one day complete the autograph collection with the other three: Ronnie, Mick T, and Brian. Getting the latter's will, obviously, be a bit pricey, but that's the goal, along with an original painting of Ronnie's. If I could have those items, the autographs, the painting, and all of the CDs missing from my list, I believe I would call my collection complete from my perspective.

And of course it's all subject to financial implications as well! LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-22 15:06 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 22, 2009 16:33

Elmo
can you see a time when you will stop?

Only if and when I realize that there must be more to life than this.

Date: July 22, 2009 16:37

well probably when the output stops

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 22, 2009 16:44

I would buy everything if I were a millionaire. Actually I'd need several million. Anyway, I buy what what I can afford, it's damn fun! Couldn't imagine not doing it. In the end it's probably less frivolous than some hobbies, and I get a lot more out of it than say collecting coins or some type of obect that can just be looked at. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Date: July 23, 2009 02:24

VoodooLounge13
well probably when the output stops

As long as there is someone around to buy it, the output never stops. Long-dead jazz musicians have "previously undiscovered" recordings released all the time, even though, in some cases, most of their original fans could be long-dead themselves.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 23, 2009 02:31

So when I am dead, people can say, "my, he had quite a collection."

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 23, 2009 03:22

I love collecting original bootleg cds , there is just something magical about hunting down a long awaited title and waiting for that package from japan in the mail, its a bit costly but its almost an addiction, although i have calmed down a bit in the past 5 years or so, the rent and food are a bit more important these days

Date: July 23, 2009 03:56

yeah just remember, you cant take it with you!

VoodooLounge13, very well defined and laid out -- you gave the definition and limits, laid out the course as best you can see as to how u will get there, and summed it up quite well. Good post. I hope u get there.

p

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: July 23, 2009 04:33

Depends on how you define a leagal issue. I collect all legal issues from UK only, that is non boxed and boxed DECCA vinyls and all different printings of them

Well, I am collecting boots from all gigs I have attended myself. Not more than 26 gigs and I do have boots from all my gigs. In addition to that I try to get a few boots from every tour and also non released studio recordings.

3. What about DVD's?
No, no collectible value in DVD's in my opinion. Well, If I can find gigs that I have attended, then I may take them into the collection, but the rest of the stuff, noway

No, why should I buy a CDR? There is just zero collecing value in a CDR. No point at all to get them. Only reason why I would get a CDR is if I was there at the gig, then only it is of interest for me.

Wah is that? If it could be spinned on my turntable I might be interested.....
Well, got a few FLACS from ABB tour but could not care less if it was MP or FLAC as I cannot put a FLAC or MP on the turntable.........

Yeah, som stuff like that has found it's way into the collection, but I am not lookingh for it.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: July 23, 2009 15:06

timbernardis
yeah just remember, you cant take it with you!

VoodooLounge13, very well defined and laid out -- you gave the definition and limits, laid out the course as best you can see as to how u will get there, and summed it up quite well. Good post. I hope u get there.

p

Thanks Tim! I appreciate that! It's definitely been a labor of love, and one I never thought I'd delve so far into, getting promos and all the like. LOL It is always very satisfying, though, when you add a missing piece to the collection. smiling smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 23, 2009 15:21

Songs

Date: July 23, 2009 16:46

frankotero
I would buy everything if I were a millionaire. Actually I'd need several million. Anyway, I buy what what I can afford, it's damn fun! Couldn't imagine not doing it. In the end it's probably less frivolous than some hobbies, and I get a lot more out of it than say collecting coins or some type of obect that can just be looked at. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

I like something George Carlin once said. He said he didn't have any hobbies. He had interests. Hobbies, he said, cost money. Interests are free.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 23, 2009 17:52

Well , Elmo , didn't noticed your thread before and it's a pity because it is a very interesting one !
A nice thread opened on a nice day : Rockman's B.Day (I am actually half kidding because my mother was born on the 14th of July too !!)

I won't answer to your six questions as long as I'm not a completist -I 'm still surprised I didn't became one of them compared to my pathological and obsessional need for the Stones music and stuff...-

I discovered recently -no matter how old you are unless you still can learn grinning smiley- that boards ,& bids web sites & records meetings were only the visible part of the iceberg ....Vertigo ....

So I'd say a few vinyls ,some photos and posters ,plus booklets.

VoodooLounge13
I started to get into the boots and wanted everything but that's excessive because there's so much out there.
And of course it's all subject to financial implications as well! LOL

I think you got the real point :wanted everything

About the financial side ,I think this can be discussed.
As you said ,excessive purchased might cost a lot of money .
But unless you don't put yourself (or your family if ones gets one )on danger -thoughless purchasing travels for instance .

MKjan
So when I am dead, people can say, "my, he had quite a collection."
It reminds me a quote from one of my friend -alive and well - when he sold his whole collection (He said his child does'n't know a @#$%& word about the Stones ,so he prefered selling it instead of spoiling it )

tatters
I like something George Carlin once said. He said he didn't have any hobbies. He had interests. Hobbies, he said, cost money. Interests are free.

Well ,actualy he said :"Interests are quite free
It makes the difference ..winking smiley

And to END my answer, I only can say I thank all the "completist "& great guys on this board -I can only say :Thanks so much !!

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: July 23, 2009 22:29

A) Any legal version of a song. Live and studio.
cool smiley Getting the concerts I attended.
C) Complete setlists of tours.
D) audio plus video of A and B.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 23, 2009 22:45

I like George Carlins comment. Then again I agree with probably everything he said. However, I'm still happy about my obsessive Stones habit.

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: July 23, 2009 23:40

Because if I wasn't something would be missing.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1616
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home