Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Stones vs U2
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 2, 2009 17:45

Gazza
mtaylor
sweetcharmedlife
Gazza
Music's pretty subjective, mate. For everyone who will agree with your opinion on those songs, there are others who have an equally valid opinion which finds them uninspiring. You're expressing a personal opinion based on your own taste - its not definitive.

I'd personally put U2's "One" on a par with any of what youve just listed. I wouldnt rank 'Since I've Been Loving You" in Zeppelin's top 20.

Ouch,not in their top 20? Subjective indeed. I'd put it in my Top 5 Zep songs.

Rank "One" together with Wish you were here, Shine on you crazy, Stairway to heaven - Ughhhh

What a lack of quality knowledge - I would sell you a book called "Music for dummies".

I only need to look in this thread if I want to find out anything about dummies.

I was probably listening to Pink Floyd and Led Zep when you were in short trousers and own every album ever made by both of them, so spare me the quality music lecture. Fine bands in their day, but "Shine On" is about eight minutes too long. A great song extended into over indulgent wankery.

You seem to think you know it all. There are lots of other people on this baord that have as much music knowledge that you or even more (doesn't take that much), so stop that attitude.
If you think Shine is 8 minutes too long - then probably with that conclusion mind, U2 have done 15 CD's too much.
I am sorry that one once in a while has to share room with low class people that don't know basic behavior.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 2, 2009 17:59

mtaylor
Gazza
mtaylor
sweetcharmedlife
Gazza
Music's pretty subjective, mate. For everyone who will agree with your opinion on those songs, there are others who have an equally valid opinion which finds them uninspiring. You're expressing a personal opinion based on your own taste - its not definitive.

I'd personally put U2's "One" on a par with any of what youve just listed. I wouldnt rank 'Since I've Been Loving You" in Zeppelin's top 20.

Ouch,not in their top 20? Subjective indeed. I'd put it in my Top 5 Zep songs.

Rank "One" together with Wish you were here, Shine on you crazy, Stairway to heaven - Ughhhh

What a lack of quality knowledge - I would sell you a book called "Music for dummies".

I only need to look in this thread if I want to find out anything about dummies.

I was probably listening to Pink Floyd and Led Zep when you were in short trousers and own every album ever made by both of them, so spare me the quality music lecture. Fine bands in their day, but "Shine On" is about eight minutes too long. A great song extended into over indulgent wankery.

You seem to think you know it all. There are lots of other people on this baord that have as much music knowledge that you or even more (doesn't take that much), so stop that attitude.
If you think Shine is 8 minutes too long - then probably with that conclusion mind, U2 have done 15 CD's too much.
I am sorry that one once in a while has to share room with low class people that don't know basic behavior.

I think you'll find that it was you who got personal ('lack of quality knowledge - I'll sell you a book called 'Music for dummies') - so take your outrage elsewhere.

I dont claim to 'know' anything (never have done), other than what I define as good or bad (and I couldnt give a flying f**k if thousands of people 'know' more - I'm not some 12 year old who's obsessed with 'competition' or what other people know or like) , so excuse me for taking umbrage when someone I dont even know tries to dictate and lectures me on what my personal taste should be (I've as much right to that opinion as you have to yours - both are equally valid) and presumes to know what I have in my record collection. You asked for my opinion on a record you liked.I gave it. Your problem if you cant emotionally cope with the answer. I dont happen to care much for over-indulgent music and yeah, a song that goes on (in 9 parts) for about 15 minutes doesnt really do much for me anymore. My apologies for the fact that my tastes dont match your rigid Taliban-esque definition of what is and isn't great music.

Maybe U2 have too many albums as you say. I couldnt care less - I'm not even a big fan of U2. To me they've made two great albums. The rest vary from OK to good. Oddly enough, I own more Zep or Floyd albums than I have U2.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-02 19:10 by Gazza.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 2, 2009 18:24

To Gazza's point, anyone who doesn't think that musical taste isn't subjective should take a look at the works of Bach--perhaps the most remarkable music every written that was all but forgotten in the decades after Bach's death. By the way the same is true of Shakespeare--twenty-five years after his death you'd be hard pressed to find any public presentation of his works.
Much closer to home, you'll find folks on this board who think Exile is the greatest group of songs on an album and you'll find others who think that Flashpoint is the greatest Stones album of all time. Who's to say who's right? Well, that's the problem: there is no right on this one--actually, it's Exile >grinning smiley<, But seriously, there's no fact-based reason to exclude one opinion and embrace another, there's only what you believe.
As for the U2-Stones debate. This much is true, at least to me, there's no other band around today to even consider in such a debate--all of the Stones' peers are long gone and U2 by any standard has done quite a lot to play such a vicious game for so long. But even with that, the best U2 or any other "recent" band can hope for is a long ride on the coattails of the Stones.

The Stones are and will remain sui generis.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Date: August 2, 2009 18:27

camper88

As for the U2-Stones debate. This much is true, at least to me, there's no other band around today to even consider in such a debate--all of the Stones' peers are long gone and U2 by any standard has done quite a lot to play such a vicious game for so long. But even with that, the best U2 or any other "recent" band can hope for is a long ride on the coattails of the Stones.

The Stones are and will remain sui generis.

If I knew what the hell 'sui generis' meant, I'd probably agree.

Date: August 2, 2009 18:35

It means I spent too much time in school.

It also means of its own kind. Unlike anything else.

Date: August 2, 2009 18:37

Thank you so much, Camper. As the old expression goes, "I may not know much about Latin (or music), but I know what I like.."

Sui Generis sounds like she could be the sister of an American lesbian TV star.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-02 21:11 by Gazza.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: August 2, 2009 18:42

nemo profeta in patria est...

translation: 15 minutes of Goin home is too short; 8 minutes of Shine on is too long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-02 18:43 by straycat58.

Re: I feel bad because a great Stones fan saw U2 on live yesterday in Paris and he said to me ....
Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: August 2, 2009 21:18

franzk
He has seen only three Stones shows since 1982? He must be a great Stones fan then.

Cock.

Date: August 2, 2009 22:26

This thread has morphed into some good old trench mudslinging. The old Stones and U2 debate brings it out even worse than Taylor vs. Ronnie.

Posted by: EST62 ()
Date: August 2, 2009 22:44

I can't believe that this is still going on.Facts are facts. U2 is a "POP" band, the Stones are what they have always been. The greatest R&R band in the world. So, let's call U2 the greatest POP band in the world and leave it at that.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: August 2, 2009 23:04

EST62
I can't believe that this is still going on.Facts are facts. U2 is a "POP" band, the Stones are what they have always been. The greatest R&R band in the world. So, let's call U2 the greatest POP band in the world and leave it at that.

no.. this is Michael Jackson; people here has disintegrated my balls for a whole month. You change ideas too fast.

Date: August 2, 2009 23:21

Glad you brought Michael up.I like Michael Jackson more than I like U2. Beat it !!

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: August 3, 2009 00:15

After seeing two U2 shows this weekend in Gothenburg I can only say that the Claw with all its monitors was probably the coolest thing I've ever seen in a concert.
I also love the fact that U2 have the courage to begin their concerts with 4 new songs, end the shows with a new song and play a total of 7 songs from the new album.
For me the highlights of the shows were the tunes from the new album and also newer songs like City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo and Beautiful Day.

Date: August 3, 2009 00:35

It'still "POP" music. When Buddy Guy gets on stage with them they will gain a little more credibility with me. Then again that ain't Buddy's style. Some of The Stones walk into the checkerboard lounge years ago and hang with the blues dudes,play with them, sing with them. Roots and respect! Two entirely different things.The Glimmer Twins have both.Always will.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 3, 2009 02:27

>When Buddy Guy gets on stage with them they will gain a little more credibility with me.

Keith Richards has been on stage with them, doesn't that count for anything?

Date: August 3, 2009 04:36

And some guy named B.B. King did When Love Comes to Town with them . . . just twenty one short years ago.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1304
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home