Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Stones vs U2
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 20, 2009 14:20

carlostones10
I´m sorry Gazza. I am not deaf. If you think Stones and U2 play similar music, well, I´m sorry, but you need a doctor. You aren´t listening very well. lol lol

Who said they're playing similar music? If I'm deaf, you appear to have difficulty reading.

You dismiss one band as a 'pop' band, oblivious to the fact that the Stones have recorded dozens of songs throughout their career which would be lumped in that genre by anyone who cares or thinks its important. 'Streets of Love' vs 'Vertigo'. Where's the 'pop' song in there?

Its a ludicrous comparison anyway. There's only two types of music - good and bad.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: July 20, 2009 15:15

Gazza
carlostones10
I´m sorry Gazza. I am not deaf. If you think Stones and U2 play similar music, well, I´m sorry, but you need a doctor. You aren´t listening very well. lol lol

Who said they're playing similar music? If I'm deaf, you appear to have difficulty reading.

You dismiss one band as a 'pop' band, oblivious to the fact that the Stones have recorded dozens of songs throughout their career which would be lumped in that genre by anyone who cares or thinks its important. 'Streets of Love' vs 'Vertigo'. Where's the 'pop' song in there?

Its a ludicrous comparison anyway. There's only two types of music - good and bad.
Hello Gazza, I think stones music similar with The Faces, The Who, etc. But ok, I agree. There is two types of music: good and bad. I think Stones amazing music and U2 very bad music. The Stones are import for the music History and I think U2 not important. It´s my opinion. So, I spent time talking about u2. I am much more interested in talk about the Stones.

Date: July 20, 2009 15:28

Me too.,,but you get my point I presume about "good and bad". Theres no way of 'proving' it - its all subjective and down to personal taste.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 20, 2009 16:56

A funny thing happend to me at U2's Paris shows; looking at the crowd and seeing the fans really connected and having so much fun I just couldnt help myself of thinking about "As Tears Go By" I really felt that phrase "doing things I used to do, they think are new"

U2 fans seem to think that U2 invented hot water; the round stage has been done in front of more than 100.000 screaming hysteric fans by Menudo, the big mammouth stage, well, lets not get into that, the "lets save the world" message, well Peter Gabriel was there before, and Lennon before him, and the rooftop gig, done....

What I find funny is how some Stones fans feel threatened by U2, can't really see why. Being a Stones fans for so long, I don't remember being fan of the most POPULAR group at any given moment, there always has been something else, The Beatles, Zep, Punk,even John Travolta or Michael Jax, Brad Pitt, now U2, but the only constat in all those different times is, yes, the Stones, so don't feel threatened, just enjoy whatever nice thing is happening around you now and just remenber that the Stones will be there, always have.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 20, 2009 17:16

That's a hell of a throne to sit on, 'looking at the crowd and seeing the fans really connected and having so much fun I just couldnt help myself of thinking about "As Tears Go By" I really felt that phrase "doing things I used to do, they think are new"'.

At least, that's how I get it.

The Stones have been imitating their big selves ever since 1978 with the big stages. They've not claimed to have done anything first other than being the first band to take a PA on the road. They very well could be the first band to actually do something different and play various stadia, arenas and clubs all on the same tour.

I don't think U2 have claimed to have done anything first on this 360 tour, it's just the details that are a little different, as they should be. And what's new for someone young is the usual for someone old - so what. It was new to you at some point. That's the same as complaining about a river flooding and destroying your house that your family had many traditions with. Go build another one on much higher ground and start some new traditions.

Re: I feel bad because a great Stones fan saw U2 on live yesterday in Paris and he said to me ....
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 20, 2009 17:26

texas fan

I like the way the Edge tries to contribute to the sonic texture and doesn't try to show off all the time, but have you seen him demonstrating what he's actually playing compared to what you hear with all the effects? Even with his toys, on his best day, the Edge never comes close to generating any real emotion with his instrument, something that Keith Richards can do, even today. Plus, he's a one-trick pony -- he's never even attempted the breadth of musical stylings that ALL of the Rolling Stones guitarists have long since mastered...

Have you noticed U2 uses tape in concert?

I really like U2 -- I've seen them a couple of times and was not disappointed. But, if you can't notice they too are aging, and much less spontaneous and powerful than at Red Rocks, well, I think we are talking about two different bands.

SwayStones -- relax honey. It's all good...

I haven't noticed they use tape in concert ;this remark sounds very interesting ,could you be more accurate please ? Do you mean they use tape as to fullfill a luck in their playing on stage ?
I don't like The Edge 's guitar sound .He uses too many "sounds effects ",doesn't he ? Although I saw him on French TV some weeks ago for a jam with Jimmy Page and Jack White-I like Jack White a lot -and he was not bad.

My husband filmed some songs during the show and I pointed out that the audience- a great and hot audience ,it's true ,shouting ,singing and dancin'- seemed more impressed by the stage itself,the lights and the special effects than the music.

deadegad
One thing about the Stones vs. U2 thing, or comparisons of the two, U2 play better, they do not screw up, U 2 are more consistent, whereas The stones have routinely played terribly and still charged the fans a lot money.

When you go to see U2, they deliver a professional show. They play and sound great.

When you go to see the Stones, you never know what you're going to get; in fact, it is liable to be poor, well blow par. And it is not Charlie and Mick's fault(well ticket prices excluded).

Truth.
U2 may be didn't screw up as the Stones did these last years.It's true.But the Stones are ,to my opinion,more "real " rougher and harder .
As Harlem Shuffler wrote,U2 don't drive me mad,don't impressed me ,they leave me cold.

stonesrule
Swaystones, keep the faith. Pull yourself together. U2 and the Stones have little in common

You're kind.I was so upset when I opened the thread because first of all I miss so much the boys on live,and then I got really angry as one of my friend falled into the net and was blinded by the "circus" rather than talking about music.

BTW, texas fan , it's easy for me to relax when you call me honey ...smiling bouncing smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: July 20, 2009 17:30

U2 has people under the stage to trigger their own samples (as in U2 sounds) to fill in the songs as well as play the odd guitar or keyboard line here and there. Edge has things triggered by his guitar or keyboard. They also use 'backing tapes' for some vocals but most of what you hear vocal wise is live.

They've never denied it and in fact they are quite honest about it, unlike, oh, I dunno, Aerosmith.

Date: July 20, 2009 18:01

leteyer
A funny thing happend to me at U2's Paris shows; looking at the crowd and seeing the fans really connected and having so much fun I just couldnt help myself of thinking about "As Tears Go By" I really felt that phrase "doing things I used to do, they think are new"

U2 fans seem to think that U2 invented hot water; the round stage has been done in front of more than 100.000 screaming hysteric fans by Menudo, the big mammouth stage, well, lets not get into that, the "lets save the world" message, well Peter Gabriel was there before, and Lennon before him, and the rooftop gig, done....

What I find funny is how some Stones fans feel threatened by U2, can't really see why. Being a Stones fans for so long, I don't remember being fan of the most POPULAR group at any given moment, there always has been something else, The Beatles, Zep, Punk,even John Travolta or Michael Jax, Brad Pitt, now U2, but the only constat in all those different times is, yes, the Stones, so don't feel threatened, just enjoy whatever nice thing is happening around you now and just remenber that the Stones will be there, always have.

Well said.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: July 20, 2009 18:18

skipstone
U2 has people under the stage to trigger their own samples (as in U2 sounds) to fill in the songs as well as play the odd guitar or keyboard line here and there. Edge has things triggered by his guitar or keyboard. They also use 'backing tapes' for some vocals but most of what you hear vocal wise is live.

They've never denied it and in fact they are quite honest about it, unlike, oh, I dunno, Aerosmith.

Comedian Bill Bailey on the Edge

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-20 18:18 by still ill.

Date: July 20, 2009 18:23

That's good. Imagine him doing Keith.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 20, 2009 18:40

just ask your friend if u2 have ever released something that comes close to exile or sticky fingers. they were/are and will always be at least 2000 light years away from the stones....

Date: July 20, 2009 18:42

leteyer

yes,that's it !smiling bouncing smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: July 20, 2009 19:59

guitarbastard
just ask your friend if u2 have ever released something that comes close to exile or sticky fingers. they were/are and will always be at least 2000 light years away from the stones....

It's so true .What I'll do without ya .I still didn't talk on the phone with my friend but now I'll be able to discuss about it without anger.

Hmmm..where is Spiderman ?

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: July 20, 2009 20:14

lol.....i have seen 47 stones show 7 u2 shows ...only one u2 show was good.......all 47 stonres shows where great some better...but all great

Date: July 21, 2009 16:24

tat2you
lol.....i have seen 47 stones show 7 u2 shows ...only one u2 show was good.......all 47 stonres shows where great some better...but all great
U2 shows in the early days must be great ,right ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-21 16:25 by SwayStones.

Date: July 21, 2009 17:05

tat2you

Only one was good, but you still kept attending them?

Your figures are very similar to mine - 47 Stones, 5 U2.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: July 22, 2009 00:23

wow, this thread sucks. Why do we always compare rock music? U2 does their thing and the stones do theirs. Well, there you have it. Thats it, isn't it?

If U2 is making a living and bringing joy to many people and putting out some memorable music, well, god bless them. And of the stones to do the same, God bless 'em.

Date: July 22, 2009 12:03

NorthShoreBlues2
wow, this thread sucks. Why do we always compare rock music? U2 does their thing and the stones do theirs. Well, there you have it. Thats it, isn't it?
Well ,as I said before ,the title had been changeg by bv I guess for a better understanding.
At the beginning ,it was just a kind of "fed up" feeling I got from my friend remark .I didn't have in mind to compare the two bands.
And as I also said,I was pleased for them to have fun and appreciate the concert .

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: July 22, 2009 16:33

why does this "topic" even exist??

Date: July 22, 2009 16:56

mickscarey
why does this "topic" even exist??

I just wanted texas fan to soothe me by calling me "Honey "grinning smiley

Posted by: zeb ()
Date: July 22, 2009 17:23

Its not a question. Rolling Stones is the best band in the world. U2´s are noting but a few good songs.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 22, 2009 18:19

SwayStones,

To clarify, I did not intend to say that U2 plays to prepared backing tracks and mimes everything. When I first saw U2 in the 80s (I think it was the Joshua Tree tour), I heard synth/keyboard parts that I couldn't see anyone playing on stage, so I assumed they were using tape to fill out the sound. I only noticed it on a couple of numbers, actually. These days, if they are still doing that, I very much doubt they actually use tape -- it would be a sequencer or something digital, I think.

Date: July 22, 2009 18:57

texas fan
SwayStones,

To clarify, I did not intend to say that U2 plays to prepared backing tracks and mimes everything. When I first saw U2 in the 80s (I think it was the Joshua Tree tour), I heard synth/keyboard parts that I couldn't see anyone playing on stage, so I assumed they were using tape to fill out the sound. I only noticed it on a couple of numbers, actually. These days, if they are still doing that, I very much doubt they actually use tape -- it would be a sequencer or something digital, I think.

texas fan ,the grinning smiley I used was for mickcarey .
Not for you .I wasn't making a fool out of you.
Your comments really help .

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 23, 2009 00:48

Hey if somebody likes the U2 show better than the Stones show that is their perogative!

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 23, 2009 14:28

Sway - honey

No worry. I was just trying to answer your earlier question about the tape.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 31, 2009 13:11

Talking about U2 vs. Stones here's Bono doing a snippet of Fool To Cry in Dublin

It's starts around 5:30

Date: July 31, 2009 16:17

franzk
Talking about U2 vs. Stones here's Bono doing a snippet of Fool To Cry in Dublin

It's starts around 5:30

Excellent ,franzk !Thanks for posting it .
Don't know if I 'd better laugh or .....cry !

Or may be was it just a wink to me ,like "C'mon Sway ,I know you love the Stones and U2 not that much but here is what I can do with my voice "grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-31 16:23 by SwayStones.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: July 31, 2009 17:46

U2 are stones fans. Well, everybody is stones fans. The stones are the greatest rock and roll band in the world! :-)

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: July 31, 2009 18:55

Already in 1985 during Live Aid U2 did a snippet during Bad of Ruby Tuesday and Sympathy for the Devil...

sjouke

Re: I feel bad because a great Stones fan saw U2 on live yesterday in Paris and he said to me ....
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 31, 2009 23:08

leteyer
Hate this kind of threads.

I was there and had a great time and it is true, biggest crowd in Stade de France's history.

Does this means that Vertigo is a better song than Gimme Shelter???, please....

I've been to a few more concerts than your friend and even though, as I said before, I had a great time, this is not even in my top 25 list of best concerts (and I'm beeing nice here)

The tape with the Q&A with the Space Station was so boring and stupid, then this thing about shping photos of people kissing was so badly recived by the crowd that Bono had to say "hey is not lame, is cool"... How lame is that. And Bono thanking corporations was the lowest point in any concert I've ever been (because he attacked economic interests just before)

I would not go on and on, I had a good time, as I'm sure many did last night in many other discos and bars in Paris, the concert was OK, but I can't let all the bling blind me for what an artits really is.

If you can catch this tour do it, is really good. Is in the same league as the Stones? Not by a long shot.

See all the political BS and corporate kiss @ssing is the kinda crap that keeps me from ever wanting to go see them. Bono's fin arrogance aside...

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1482
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home