Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ya-Yas & Liver Than You'll Ever Be
Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: July 10, 2009 20:40

if "Liver Than You'll Ever Be" was never released, would "Get Yer Ya-Yas Out" still have been released?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-10 20:56 by Rollin' Stoner.

Re: Ya-Yas & Liver Than You'll Ever Be
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: July 10, 2009 20:43

sooner or later yes, probably from some of 1972 performances... they didn't see the need to produce the live album then, in 1969, and thanks to the great popularity of the bootleg, they decided to release it officialy and make some cash out of it. a great article:

[www.rollingstone.com] <-- read this, despite the title it's about your topic, too. and a great read.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: July 10, 2009 20:45

Amused
sooner or later yes, probably from some of 1972 performances... they didn't see the need to produce the live album then, in 1969, and thanks to the great popularity of the bootleg, they decided to release it officialy and make some cash out of it. a great article:

[www.rollingstone.com] <-- read this, despite the title it's about your topic, too. and a great read.
Thanks for the link Amused

Date: July 10, 2009 20:53

I love the ending:

There is only one thing that could top it, and if that's to happen, the Stones will have to show they have the guts we've always given them credit for: issue, as an official album, an unedited tape of their performance at Altamont. Maybe they will do it. (RS 51)

Before you start reading, notice it's from February 1970... wicked times.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 10, 2009 21:30

No.

Date: July 10, 2009 21:32

after the Who released Live At Leeds, Stones just had to have a killer live album (remembering also RnR Circus bandwars).

L&G was a killer indeed (and could've had official soundtrack) but somehow wasn't remembered almost at all.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: July 10, 2009 22:11

Amused
after the Who released Live At Leeds, Stones just had to have a killer live album (remembering also RnR Circus bandwars).

L&G was a killer indeed (and could've had official soundtrack) but somehow wasn't remembered almost at all.

I was almost certain that Live At Leeds was released after Ya Ya's. It was definately recorded after Ya Ya's was recorded.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: July 10, 2009 22:50

Tumblin_Dice_07
I was almost certain that Live At Leeds was released after Ya Ya's. It was definately recorded after Ya Ya's was recorded.

Without looking it up, I would have agreed with you, but it seems that "Live At Leeds" was already released in May 1970!

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: July 10, 2009 22:54

Tumblin_Dice_07
Amused

You're right and not so right. Live At Leeds was recorded on February 14th 1970, but originally came out in May 1970. Get Yer Ya Yas Out was recorded in 1969, but not released until September 1970.

Date: July 10, 2009 23:25

I actually knew that tongue sticking out smileyP the point is, that if Ya-Ya's wasn't released before, they would have to release them after the Who's Leeds.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 11, 2009 07:41

Having listened to "Get Yer Ya Yas Out" and "Liver Than You'll Ever Be" more times than I can count, I would say that Ya Yas was the stronger sounding record, at least in my view. Mind you, Liver has some stellar performances and it is more than worthy of an official release (A pipe dream, I know) but as a document of the '69 tour, it's hard to imagine a better record than Ya Yas, even though it is compiled from more than one show and is not completely representative of a set list from that tour. It is interesting to note that the original "Live at Leeds" was, like Ya Yas, a truncated recording of a complete show, but its sheer raw power was somehow diminished by releasing the entire concert, what with Tommy and all. I wonder then would Ya Yas be likewise diminished by "complete" release? In my opinion it would not be, when you consider the songs that were left off: "Satisfaction", "Under My Thumb", "I'm Free" and so on. Mind you, if such a release were in the cards, then I would hope the "Under My Thumb/I'm Free" medley from 27/11/69 would be part of the release. Don't get me wrong, I love the slower, minor 7th version from Oakland, a great reworking, but hearing two of my favorite Stones song woven together as they were at Madison Square Garden on 27th November, 1969 (Correct me if I'm wrong on the date) was magical to me. I hope I live to see the day when the Stones will do their legacy some justice...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-11 19:05 by ChrisM.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 11, 2009 17:21

ChrisM
It is interesting to note that the original "Live at Leeds" was, like Ya Yas, a truncated recording of a complete show, but its sheer raw power was somehow diminished by releasing the entire concert, what with Tommy and all. I wonder then would Ya Yas be likewise diminished by "complete" release? In my opinion it would not be, when you consider the songs that were left off: "Satisfaction", "Under My Thumb", "I'm Free" and so on.

I agree. With Leeds, less was more. With Ya-Yas, more would be more.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: July 11, 2009 19:34

Nikolai
Tumblin_Dice_07
Amused

You're right and not so right. Live At Leeds was recorded on February 14th 1970, but originally came out in May 1970. Get Yer Ya Yas Out was recorded in 1969, but not released until September 1970.

Really now? That's sort of wild. I knew that Ya Ya's was recorded in '69 and Live at Leeds in 1970, but it took the Stones until late '70 to release the recordings from nearly a year earlier, and the Who got theirs out in just a few months. Maybe the Stones had Ya Ya's ready to go but just delayed the release until that Fall so they could have a new record to tour behind when they toured Europe?

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: July 12, 2009 20:05

Some facts...LIVER was recorded by the bootleggers on November 9, 1969.
Professional multitracks were done by the Stones organization in NYC, Boston and Baltimore two weeks later...prior to the release of LIVER. This would not have been done as a lark. The cost and organization involved in arranging mobile recordings like this would seem to indicate a plan to release a live album of the tour (before the bootleg actually hit the streets and anyone realized there was such a thing). The Stones even went so far as to record their supporting acts, in hopes of including a disc of their performances along with their own.
To me, this indicates an intention, long before thought of reacting to any bootleg, of issuing a live album.
It's a nice bit of folklore, but I doubt that the release or sales of LIVER had anything to do with stimulating the Stones to release Ya-Ya's.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-12 21:46 by thkbeercan.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: July 12, 2009 20:26

thkbeercan
Professional multitracks were done in [...] Boston...

Has this ever been confirmed or is it just a rumour?

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: July 12, 2009 21:25

Well, Ya-Ya's was engineered by Glyn Johns and the back of the LP says it was done on Wally Heider Mobile unit at Madison Square Garden on Nov 27 & 28, 1969.
"Love In Vain" comes fom the Baltimore performance on Novmeber 26.
Stanley Booth's book refers to the Boston shows as being recorded as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-12 21:42 by thkbeercan.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 13, 2009 05:14

the Oakland shows were also recorded ! In Gimme Shelter movie there's dialogue from Mick from one of the Oakland shows....

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: July 13, 2009 13:54

thkbeercan
Some facts...LIVER was recorded by the bootleggers on November 9, 1969.
Professional multitracks were done by the Stones organization in NYC, Boston and Baltimore two weeks later...prior to the release of LIVER. This would not have been done as a lark. The cost and organization involved in arranging mobile recordings like this would seem to indicate a plan to release a live album of the tour (before the bootleg actually hit the streets and anyone realized there was such a thing). The Stones even went so far as to record their supporting acts, in hopes of including a disc of their performances along with their own.
To me, this indicates an intention, long before thought of reacting to any bootleg, of issuing a live album.
It's a nice bit of folklore, but I doubt that the release or sales of LIVER had anything to do with stimulating the Stones to release Ya-Ya's.

That is exactly right! They had every intention of recording a live album on that tour. Bootlegs had nothing to do with it.

Posted by: R ()
Date: July 13, 2009 15:31

From4tilLate

That is exactly right! They had every intention of recording a live album on that tour. Bootlegs had nothing to do with it.

Makes for a great story though.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: July 13, 2009 17:43

ChrisM:

Absolutely agree with you on the Under My Thumb/I'm Free medley from MSG. The tempo (more upbeat than the West Coast version of I'm Free, which also isn't bad) plus the great audience reception, PLUS MT's tremendous solo (great use of feedback!) were really special. If only more people could hear that tremendous performance.

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: July 13, 2009 22:30

Ya Yas was my first Stones live album. Difficult to imagine a wolrd without

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 14, 2009 00:06

Pity stone-relics is't here as he loves Ya Ya's the most

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home