Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Allen Klein RIP
Date: July 7, 2009 02:46

nick
I think while JR is at it he can explain why Klein would NOT have had a hand in slutting out the Stones catalog with those horrible compilation packages during the 70's. This was usually blamed on Decca but someone worked that deal to begin with.

I strongly advise not using Sam Cooke as an example of the good Klein. While that was very sweet of him, he did the total opposite with the Stones. Think about it, he was "hired" by Sam Cooke. He had no legal way to move the found money to himself, so he duly reports this to Sam and is looked at as the honest cat. Now with the Stones, he's the top dog who already knew on the side through another upstanding bloke in Andrew Loog-Oldham that he had EVERYTHING. Did he report to any of the Rolling Stones at any time that he had the rights to songs,etc and they didn't???

I thought a manager was suppossed to have your back. JR don't put your neck out for this guy. You have so much of their wax, you should be getting residuals, not him.

This shows a total lack of ignorance. Of course he had a way to move the money to himself! He could have negotiated a side deal with the label or simply not gone the extra mile to create the first such deal.. People don't realize how good the deal he got Sam Cooke was.. Sam did....

And he certainly had Sam Cooke's "back"..Its all described in great detail in Guralnick's bio of Sam Cooke..

Bottom line: Klein changed the music business in favor of the artist.. after Sam Cooke got that deal things were different..a precedent in favor of the artist had been set.

At least thats my understanding..

But in any case, when a human being dies its rather pathetic and childish to start posting the kind of stuff that many have posted on this thread.. really.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-07 02:47 by stoned in washington dc.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: July 7, 2009 03:26

Speaking of dead folks...One of the funniest things I ever heard was in a little mom & pop diner in Little Italy in Manhattan. I was waiting for a turkey sandwich to go. People are sitting in the diner, all local characters from the neighborhood.

This guy comes in and he starts chatting away and then says "Did you hear Bobby Lastname died?" One guy says "Bobby Lastname is dead? Are you sure?" He replies "yes I'm positive he died last night"

The guy says "Sonofbitch, that mother f***** owes me $100" The place burst out with laughter.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 7, 2009 04:17

Mathijs
It's actually quite amusing to read all these hateful remarks by people who do not have the faintest idea about Klein and his publishing business, or the music business in general.
Mathijs

Yep, exactly. Klein "stole" the song and recording rights from the Stones? He bought them from Oldham. So did the Stones ever own them? You can't steal from the Stones what they don't own. I mean, nobody complains that the Beatles don't own their song publishing and recording rights. Klein stopped the 1972 live album? I've always read and understood that it was DECCA because of a re-recording clause in their contract. DECCA should have been nice to them and allow this release? Well, everybody applauds the CS Blues coup - the Stones delivering an unreleasable song to "fulfil" their contractual obligations - but why should DECCA have been nice to the Stones by freeing them from this contract clause when the Stones were not nice to DECCA?

Basically, the music business works like this: When you are young and unknown, you are just happy that someone in the business gives you a contract. You happily sign it and usually don't read all to much of the fine print. After a rise to fame and fortune suddenly all managers and record companies are "greedy bastards" who "steal" away from you.

Well, record companies, managers, publishers are what they are. And the Stones? They were young and most probably naive back in the day when they started. Ask Keith: "Klein was he price of education". Not only that - he obviously still admires him for his business skills (read the 2002 interview quote some posts above).

In these days of Klein's passing, Keith's attitude should give us an example. Who are we to think we could judge Klein better than someone directly involved -like Keith?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-07 04:27 by retired_dog.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 7, 2009 04:32

it really doesnt matter what anyone says here at all

dont take this thread, or any other thread, or IORR, or life as seriously as u do because 'life is too short.' This applies to all of us, to anyone.

p

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 7, 2009 07:20

timbernardis

dont take this thread, or any other thread, or IORR, or life as seriously as u do because 'life is too short.' This applies to all of us, to anyone.

p

Even the Plexiglasseye popping smiley........Sorry couldn't resist. But very well said Tim.

Date: July 7, 2009 08:09

stoned in dc wrote: But in any case, when a human being dies its rather pathetic and childish to start posting the kind of stuff that many have posted on this thread.. really.

I have heard people on these boards rip Klein for years, this is nothing new, no hypocrisy there.

p

Date: July 7, 2009 08:13

sweetcharmedlife
timbernardis

p

Even the Plexiglasseye popping smiley........Sorry couldn't resist. But very well said Tim.

well, that is true, I would have to make a single exception for THE PLEXIGLASS as in that case, u r talking of matters of the Divine!!!

p

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 7, 2009 08:53

>> Klein "stole" the song and recording rights from the Stones? He bought them from Oldham. <<

... he bought Oldham's share in the rights. are you saying Oldham's share was 100%, and that the Stones didn't know that?
if that's what you mean, can you let us know where you found those details, please and thank you, retired_dog?

(i'm not being either judgemental or sentimental - i'm just into historical accuracy)

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home