Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Allen Klein RIP
Date: July 6, 2009 10:41

They choose to schedule Klein's funeral at the same time that Everyone Knows is the M. Jackson memorial...
So that will be the excuse as to why so few notables attend.
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Right.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 6, 2009 10:55

timbernardis
As Johhny Rotten said upon hearing of the death of Elvis Presley,

GOOD RIDDANCE TO BAD RUBBISH.

plexi

Yes,Jonhny is rather Rotten.

Only a fool can say that.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 6, 2009 15:06

Father Ted
What, specifically, did Allen Klein do to incur such wrath?

read here:
[www.latimes.com]

but this part tells alot:

"Klein reveled in his bare-knuckle reputation. He even perched a small sign on his desk:
"Though I walk in the valley of the shadow of evil, I have no fear, as I am the biggest bastard in the valley.

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: July 6, 2009 15:58

Hey this guy did some pretty rotten things to the Stones and Beatles. We all have to go sometime. He is up there meeting his maker now and he will be the judge. But if I were a betting man I wouldn't get to comfortable up there. I am pretty sure he will be taking the down elevator in a day or two. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: squando ()
Date: July 6, 2009 16:11

"Hey this guy did some pretty rotten things to the Stones and Beatles. We all have to go sometime. He is up there meeting his maker now and he will be the judge. But if I were a betting man I wouldn't get to comfortable up there. I am pretty sure he will be taking the down elevator in a day or two."

I don't know about that. The guy was reported to be a selfish businessman but members of the Third Reich deserve to be in Dante's 9 circles - not dodgy businessmen.

Klein is like us all - just trying to fumble his way thru existence. The man didn't commit murder as far as we know, he simply manouvered his way into very good business deals. I don't like the way he supposedley operated but it is hardly derserving of hatred.

More importantly, he has a family that is greiving and they deserve more respect than many of you here have shown.

Posted by: Happy2 ()
Date: July 6, 2009 16:15

squando
"Hey this guy did some pretty rotten things to the Stones and Beatles. We all have to go sometime. He is up there meeting his maker now and he will be the judge. But if I were a betting man I wouldn't get to comfortable up there. I am pretty sure he will be taking the down elevator in a day or two."

I don't know about that. The guy was reported to be a selfish businessman but members of the Third Reich deserve to be in Dante's 9 circles - not dodgy businessmen.

Klein is like us all - just trying to fumble his way thru existence. The man didn't commit murder as far as we know, he simply manouvered his way into very good business deals. I don't like the way he supposedley operated but it is hardly derserving of hatred.

More importantly, he has a family that is greiving and they deserve more respect than many of you here have shown.

Absolutely agree 101%.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 6, 2009 16:18

From what I've read, the bad thing Klein did to The Beatles was to get them the highest royalty payments that had ever existed. I'm sure they weren't complaining.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 6, 2009 16:32

Happy2
squando

Absolutely agree 101%.

I like to think that some folks (not addressing squando or happy2 here) travel thru this life in such a way it amounts to more than a just fumble, that is we try to uphold fair values and integrity and recognize a value that money can't touch. As for very good business deals, I suppose he didn't break the law, but these deals define unethical behavior quite well imo.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: July 6, 2009 17:00

"I like to think that some folks (not addressing squando or happy2 here) travel thru this life in such a way it amounts to more than a just fumble, that is we try to uphold fair values and integrity and recognize a value that money can't touch."

Well put.

And in a perfect world that may be the case. He quite well may have been a dispicible chap in the business world but my point is who of us here ( or anywhere outside of those who dealt with him) really know what the man was like?

We are all guilty of poor judgement and/or behaviour but I think to condemn someone none of us ever knew simply because he got the (apparent dirty) upperhand on the Stones and Beatles is not only short sighted but also completely judgemental without foundation.

We are all guilty of making poor decisions - knowingly or not throughout life. The man is dead - why bag the f#ck out of him for something the Stones and Beatles no longer probably care about. How much money do Sir Paul and Sir Mick need these days?

There are just far worse atrocities in life. Why so many here feel what Klein did to the Stones as such an affront on a personal level just baffles me.

Date: July 6, 2009 17:43

well put squando.

I agree....we strive for high ideals, but life takes place a few notches below.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 6, 2009 18:32

timbernardis
As Johhny Rotten said upon hearing of the death of Elvis Presley,
GOOD RIDDANCE TO BAD RUBBISH.
plexi

Hi Tim , I am sure that Johnny R. didn't even know :THERSITES I will see you hanged, like clotpoles, ere I come any more to your tents: I will keep where there is wit stirring and leave the faction of fools.
PATROCLUS: A good riddance.

BTW , I'll answer to your kind mail ASAP.smiling smiley

exilestones
I cannot believe what people are saying hear about a man who has just died. His body isn't cold yet and the vultures are circling, the mean are making mean comments. If this man did wrong as you say then now is a great time to feel sorry for him. We will all be judged by our maker and then it's too late. So many of you want to throw the first stone. It's a pity. Very sad.

My english is not good enough to talk about this ,but I do agree with you ,exilestones.

Klein wasn't a criminal ,I would apreciate if someone could explain which parts of the contracts were wrong.

There are a lot of criminals nowadays.Won't name them but I bet they deserve more your judgement .
Forget Allen Klein .cool smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: July 6, 2009 18:45

the allen klein trashing on this thread is unseemly.. the man has just died for pete's sake..

also, as many obituaries have noted klein did some great things... the contract he negotiated for sam cooke- for example- was a big step in getting artists more of a share of what they earned ... certainly sam cooke was very grateful!

and helping to organize the concert for bangladesh was a very good thing...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 6, 2009 19:08

All families deserve sympathy at a time of loss BUT its well documented the kind
of "business" Klein conducted. It speaks for itself!

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: July 6, 2009 20:03

De-Kleine as Bill would say

John Nicholls

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: July 6, 2009 20:15

stoned in washington dc

and helping to organize the concert for bangladesh was a very good thing...

Klein worked with Harrison to stage the Concert for Bangladesh show in 1971, a key moment in the history of rock altruism — even though convoluted tax issues held up the much-needed money for years.

Date: July 6, 2009 20:17

Have any of the Stones commented yet? It would be of interest to hear their comments if any.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 6, 2009 21:19

Just curious,but does anybody think that Michael Cohl will be viewed better,worse or the same as Klein?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 6, 2009 21:35

Didn't Keith comment that Klein was 'price of an education'?

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: July 6, 2009 22:06

He did. Keith commented on their relationship with Klein in a UNCUT intervew from '02:

The band's period with Klein ended in bitter recriminations and the relinquishing of control over a huge chunk of their history to buy themselves the freedom to move forwards, but Richards claims he still geels a grudging respect for the Big Apple rottweiler

'Allen Klein' he wheezes thoughtfully. 'We've had our ups and downs as a band but at the same time I still admire the man. I still love the way he handles it and I know that he'll do the right thing in the end.'

That sounds like a carefully-worded statement?

He'll get the message! OK, we got stiffed a bit, and even much more...OK, I don't own the publishing. I look upon Allen as an education. I mean, OK, he showed us what's what, but at the same time there's a certain affection between us. I can never get a hard-on against Allen Klein. After all he did raise us to the heights in a way, and showed us a trick or two which still comes in handy. Also I must say I admire the way he's worked. I wish people now worked our catalogue as well as he's worked his. I go and watch a movie and suddenly I'm hearing my songs.'

[UNCUT #67, Dec 2002, p 56]

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 6, 2009 22:33

It's funny. There's seems to be many staunch defenders here of Allen Klein, who cheated the Stones of their catalogue of 60's hits, but Brian Jones, the creator of the Rolling Stones, is fair game on this site for all sorts of abuse and accusations. Those who say now 'Don't speak ill of the dead' turn right around and bash someone like the dead Brian. Hypocrisy, hypocrisy, hypocrisy . . .

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: July 6, 2009 23:41

Edith Grove
Sir Craven of Cottage
Should we all contribute to flowers or something?

If you feel like contributing something, I, personally, would suggest making a contribution to the Alzheimer's foundation.

Edith, you are such a nice person. This guy was one of the original ROTTEN scoundrels Rock Music. Talk about ripping off artists!

I do agree though a contribution to the Alzheimer's foundation. Not because of this Rats passing but because its the right thing to do.

Date: July 6, 2009 23:47

Sohoe
He did. Keith commented on their relationship with Klein in a UNCUT intervew from '02:

The band's period with Klein ended in bitter recriminations and the relinquishing of control over a huge chunk of their history to buy themselves the freedom to move forwards, but Richards claims he still geels a grudging respect for the Big Apple rottweiler

'Allen Klein' he wheezes thoughtfully. 'We've had our ups and downs as a band but at the same time I still admire the man. I still love the way he handles it and I know that he'll do the right thing in the end.'

That sounds like a carefully-worded statement?

He'll get the message! OK, we got stiffed a bit, and even much more...OK, I don't own the publishing. I look upon Allen as an education. I mean, OK, he showed us what's what, but at the same time there's a certain affection between us. I can never get a hard-on against Allen Klein. After all he did raise us to the heights in a way, and showed us a trick or two which still comes in handy. Also I must say I admire the way he's worked. I wish people now worked our catalogue as well as he's worked his. I go and watch a movie and suddenly I'm hearing my songs.'

[UNCUT #67, Dec 2002, p 56]

OK, that kind of realigns it all for me, thanks.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 6, 2009 23:49

>> Those who say now 'Don't speak ill of the dead' turn right around and bash someone like the dead Brian. Hypocrisy, hypocrisy, hypocrisy . . . <<

who exactly are you talking about, neptune?

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: July 6, 2009 23:59

One thing all humans share is...we are all hypocrites at one time or another. Bernie Madoff is no killer either, but how many lives has the guy ruined? Hundreds? Thousands?

I'd rather get shot in the chest then stabbed in the back by a low life swindler. I despise swindlers, liers and thieves.

It's kind of like the guy who gets busted for an ounce of weed and does a few years in a crazy prison, while Wall St. thieves who get caught do a bid in a Country Club type prison.

Date: July 7, 2009 00:08

Bingo
One thing all humans share is...we are all hypocrites at one time or another. Bernie Madoff is no killer either, but how many lives has the guy ruined? Hundreds? Thousands?

I'd rather get shot in the chest then stabbed in the back by a low life swindler. I despise swindlers, liers and thieves.

It's kind of like the guy who gets busted for an ounce of weed and does a few years in a crazy prison, while Wall St. thieves who get caught do a bid in a Country Club type prison.

Yeah, this is the stuff that drives me crazy.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: July 7, 2009 00:21

I am done with you vultures...sic...not posting or reading this board ever again....get it...

Have fun stabbing the people that MADE the Stones in the back...sheesh...

JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-07 01:05 by stone-relics.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 7, 2009 00:50

Hey JR, how would say Klein made the Stones? I realize that he handled their business affairs but I have always thought the Stones pretty much made themselves through their music and personae. Care to comment?

As to Klein himself, I have nothing for or against him personally, but I think many here are angry at him because the business relationship between ABCKO and the Stones has prevented the release of some material most of us would like to see, i.e., an official '72 live album, more material from "Gimme Shelter" and so on. At least that is my take on it.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: July 7, 2009 01:11

see above

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 7, 2009 01:16

Are kidding JR? hope not...it's just peoples opinions

Posted by: nick ()
Date: July 7, 2009 01:40

I think while JR is at it he can explain why Klein would NOT have had a hand in slutting out the Stones catalog with those horrible compilation packages during the 70's. This was usually blamed on Decca but someone worked that deal to begin with.

I strongly advise not using Sam Cooke as an example of the good Klein. While that was very sweet of him, he did the total opposite with the Stones. Think about it, he was "hired" by Sam Cooke. He had no legal way to move the found money to himself, so he duly reports this to Sam and is looked at as the honest cat. Now with the Stones, he's the top dog who already knew on the side through another upstanding bloke in Andrew Loog-Oldham that he had EVERYTHING. Did he report to any of the Rolling Stones at any time that he had the rights to songs,etc and they didn't???

I thought a manager was suppossed to have your back. JR don't put your neck out for this guy. You have so much of their wax, you should be getting residuals, not him.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home