Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: CD Live Johnny Winter And
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 16, 2009 15:49

I almost forgot how good that record was . . . Last listened to it 30 years ago and the CD version sounds amazing. One of my favorite Live album. A smoking version of Jumping Jack Flash and the rock and roll Meddley is just fwcking kicking major ass. Talking about guitar weaving, Johnny and Rick did it pretty well too. Also the best ever "Rock and Roll" shout yelled by Johnny to introduce one of the best(maybe the best although Jimi's take on it on "In the West" has got to be #1) cover of Chuck Berry's hit "Johnny be Good". That record is a masterpiece!!!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Re: OT: CD Live Johnny Winter And
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 16, 2009 16:34

Yeah this is a real party-album......

2 1 2 0

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 16, 2009 16:41

THIS is the album to convert people to Johnny Winter with! If ya dont like this theres something wrong with ya!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 16, 2009 16:43

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 16, 2009 17:07

i have this on vinyl,and it was a double album, on the cd it was just one disc and missing the other album .whats the deal with this ?

Posted by: wolfi ()
Date: June 16, 2009 17:08

My partner and I saw Johnny and his band just a few weeks ago at a small venue in Tuebingen (Germany), standing in the first row, almost sitting on one of the loudspeakers :luckily we weren't in the loudspeaker's main direction - a few people moved further behind because of the volume. It was really a great experience. It reminded me of the first time I saw Johnny and Edgar at the Roundhouse in London, almost 40 years ago...

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 16, 2009 17:14

used to crank this one in the dorms to either upset or entertain, or both. mean town blues - with the rick and johnny duel - was always a fave way of irritating....

Posted by: stones69 ()
Date: June 16, 2009 17:14

It was originally released as a single live LP. I believe they repackaged it with the studio LP "Johnny Winter And". And it does kick ass.

Date: June 16, 2009 17:16

thanks for the info, can you still get both albums on cd ?

Date: June 16, 2009 17:18

the live album still is widely available - not so sure about the studio one

Date: June 16, 2009 17:23

johnny winter was to good to irritate people with.oh by the way T&A.i got the philly soundboard 9/25/81, and can you imagine my surprise ,there are no horns ,no bobby, no ernie watts nothing.

Date: June 16, 2009 17:24

but still, in your imagination, there is a ernie...that's the most important thing. never lose your imagination....

Date: June 16, 2009 17:41

T&A, this is really bugging me . #1 i remember the stones messed up the begining of (keith)honky tonk and mick made some wisecrack to bear with them seeing how this was the first show of the 81 tour .so on the soundboard keith keeps hitting the open g chord and mick is trying to point him in the right direction to no avail ,and i would swear under oath in a court of law that bobby runs out for his sax solo on brown sugar (i remember what he was wearing jeans and a navy blue sweatshirt).the LESSON i learned is NEVER dought your ( T&A) WISDOM and KNOWLEDGE and just say no to drugs cause they were free flowing that day with all the doobers and the FRISBEE being passed back and forth right in front of keith next to the front of stage barricade at JFK stadium on such a warm and sunny late fall day 9/25/81.

Date: June 16, 2009 17:46

cherish your memories, even if the events never happened, i say. one of my favorite memories is when john lennon joined keith on stage for a rousing version of i wanna be your man in oakland on the talk is cheap tour. fab.

Date: June 16, 2009 17:51

T&A
cherish your memories, even if the events never happened, i say. one of my favorite memories is when john lennon joined keith on stage for a rousing version of i wanna be your man in oakland on the talk is cheap tour. fab.
thats right, cause on seinfeld george costanza said if you BELIEVE it ,its not a LIE.so i will hang my hat on that !

Posted by: MTWEMISSYOU ()
Date: June 16, 2009 18:06

I agree that this album is high energy rock and blues right in your face. Probably the most under rated live album ever. But Johnny also is terribly under rated as the great guitarist that he is. Words can't express the passion and intensity that you hear on "Good morning little school girl" with Johnny and Ricks interplay together. Pure adrenaline! Johnny's take on JJ Flash turned alot of us onto the Stones music as well.
Also check out "Captured Live" 1975 album that features Johnny playing dueling guitars with Floyd Radford. It has a great version of " It's all over now". And "Highway 61" will BLOW you away! The best slide guitar that I have ever heard. Right up there with Rory.
Long live Johnny Winter. Go Johnny Go, your the best!

Posted by: stones69 ()
Date: June 16, 2009 18:15

The Greek
thanks for the info, can you still get both albums on cd ?

Johnny Winter And is still available as a '93 European release only. It has never been reissued in the US (or remastered anywhere). 'Tis a shame really, because it is an incredible performance start to finish from Johnny and the boys. Truly one of my favorite LPs ever.

Posted by: charliesgood ()
Date: June 16, 2009 18:23

Hey if you want to pick up a fair chunk of these tunes there is a great new jw anthology on shout records that covers his whole career

Date: June 16, 2009 18:24

not sure i'd agree with the notion that johnny is an under-rated guitarist - he was hailed as the second-coming of hendrix back in the day - pretty high praise. what might be under-rated is his vocal prowess - one of the best white-boy blooze singers in the biz....

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 16, 2009 18:33

Yeah, in 1968 or 69? wasnt he the subject of a major label bidding war which Columbia won by paying Johnny the biggest contract ever(at that time)? I thought it made the front of Rolling Stone. And at that time RS was actually a MUSIC newspaper!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1562
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home