Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dylan's influence on the Stones
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 15, 2009 20:50

Please let me say that if this has been covered ad-nauseum, then please don't respond and we'll forget I ever made this post.

I normally don't post here but I have been really listening to Dylan lately. I love the new one but I've really gotten into Bringing It All Back Home, Blonde on Blonde, and Highway 61. I always listened to these discs but mostly in passing or in the car...didn't pay alot of attention.

the more i listen to this stuff, and read about the 60s Stones it seems to me that musically Dylan had more influence on the Stones than anyone else except the older black musicians (Muddy, Chuck etc..).Just my opinion. To me....more than the Beatles. We all know how much BJ loved Dylan and how MJ has tried to emulate his style from time to time. I love the vocals on the demo of Yesterday's Papers,Something Happened To Me, etc...

The more I listen to Aftermath and Buttons, the more Dylaneseque I find these discs to be....and Beggars to me is very Dylan. To me, even something like 2000 Man could have been done by Dylan.

Thoughts?

Re: Dylan's influence on the Stones
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 15, 2009 21:04

I agree. I wish I had demos on albums like Math and Buttons..are they rare?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: June 15, 2009 21:10

Hello! Well, parts of Beggars is very Dylanesque, I think! Sympathy and Jig Saw Puzzle are great examples as far as I´m concerned.thumbs up And these days, maybe Parachute Woman>grinning smiley<...Modern Times...Watch out - soon this blues is his too...>grinning smiley<

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: June 15, 2009 21:16

Cafaro
I normally don't post here ...Thoughts?

Not anymore you mean! You posted over 3000 times already! What made you leave the scene Cafaro?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 15, 2009 21:29

Mr. Cafaro is famous on the HotStuff section of IORR

Date: June 15, 2009 21:35

Hello all! Just busy that's all. If I have time to play around the board I try to post something. Here is the Yesterday's Paper Demo

[www.sendspace.com]

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: June 15, 2009 21:42

Dylan's influence on the Stones reached its zenith in "Beggar's Banquet" in songs like "Jigsaw Puzzle." "...and the queen is bravely shouting 'What the hell is going on'" is very Dylanesque.

Dylan was a big influence on everybody in the 1960s, the Beatles as well as the Stones.

I remember at interview with Jagger where he said kinda sneeringly about Dylan, "Yes, he was the prince of lyricists in those days."

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 15, 2009 21:43

Cafaro
Please let me say that if this has been covered ad-nauseum, then please don't respond and we'll forget I ever made this post.

I normally don't post here but I have been really listening to Dylan lately. I love the new one but I've really gotten into Bringing It All Back Home, Blonde on Blonde, and Highway 61. I always listened to these discs but mostly in passing or in the car...didn't pay alot of attention.

the more i listen to this stuff, and read about the 60s Stones it seems to me that musically Dylan had more influence on the Stones than anyone else except the older black musicians (Muddy, Chuck etc..).Just my opinion. To me....more than the Beatles. We all know how much BJ loved Dylan and how MJ has tried to emulate his style from time to time. I love the vocals on the demo of Yesterday's Papers,Something Happened To Me, etc...

The more I listen to Aftermath and Buttons, the more Dylaneseque I find these discs to be....and Beggars to me is very Dylan. To me, even something like 2000 Man could have been done by Dylan.

Thoughts?
i always thought "Who's Been Sleeping Here" was Dylanized

Date: June 15, 2009 21:59

When I read about the Beatles/Stones comparisions I tend to think that that is just laziness on the writer's part b/c while the Stones did indeed rip off the Beatles in ideas and songs(Dandelion), I hear more and more Dylan in the Stones, as well as other bands, than anyone else (again, excluding the Chess,Bluebird, etc people).

I beleive Bob influenced KR grealty as well. The thing to me is that where Brian hung out with Bob, you would think he would have brought some sort of Dylan influence with him but he seemed to want to play window dressing parts on songs. I know he was out of it most of the time but still....

I agree about Mick being a little smarmy about Dylan but he was that way of most peers that he looked up to. I mean he obviously worshipped John Lennon but would be sort rude about him and the Beatles in the press. In fact, the only peer I'm aware of him not bashing in some way was Hendrix.

Date: June 15, 2009 22:23

That version of 'Yesterdays papers' is brilliant. Thanks!

2 1 2 0

Date: June 15, 2009 22:36

yea...I love it. Do you MJ is playing guitar? He has said it;s the first song he ever wrote on his own

Posted by: Dear Doctor ()
Date: June 15, 2009 22:46

dylan is a farce

get over him

he didn't influence the stones; dylan was a stones wannabee if anything. He was the one who left his folk roots to play electric; and tried to look like Keith Richards instead of the real coffehouse playing dweeb that he truly is.

Jagger & Keith are two very intelligent , astute men. There songs & lyrics are known by many, many more people than bob zimmerman.

this site is POLLUTED by too many springsteen & dylan worshippers. there's a board called rocks off for you

dylan & springsteen suck, especially the jersey putz

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: June 15, 2009 22:48

I think whenever Dylan chooses the 12-bar-scheme or does an up-tempo electric song he is influenced by the Stones more than by the Beatles.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 15, 2009 23:20

Dear Doctor
dylan is a farce

get over him

he didn't influence the stones; dylan was a stones wannabee if anything. He was the one who left his folk roots to play electric; and tried to look like Keith Richards instead of the real coffehouse playing dweeb that he truly is.

Jagger & Keith are two very intelligent , astute men. There songs & lyrics are known by many, many more people than bob zimmerman.

this site is POLLUTED by too many springsteen & dylan worshippers. there's a board called rocks off for you

Bruce does not put on concerts, he puts on 3 hour commercials for his silly image.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 15, 2009 23:20

I think it's well know that in the sixties they all influence each other

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 15, 2009 23:35

"Dylan's influence on the Stones"?

HUGE! The Stones like Jimi Hendrix understood the imput of Dylan in Rock. Mature lyrics, sophisticated arrangements and artistic FREEDOM.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 16, 2009 00:09

What about stones influence on Dylan? "Honest With Me" could almost be a stones song. Wouldn't be out of place on Voodoo Lounge.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 16, 2009 03:47

Mick screws up the harp part but WTF, it's the Stones:

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 16, 2009 06:36

Often thought the young Mr Zimmerman borrowed heaps from the Marx Bruvvers .....

Groucho's sly humour........Harpo's hair ........ Chicko's jacket .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 16, 2009 08:43

I think of Dylan on songs like jigsaw Puzzle and the seldom mentioned Who's Been Sleeping Here.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 16, 2009 21:17

bob dylan is a genius,how many grammy's does bob have ,how many oscars does bob have ?jeez that does tell us something about the great influence that bob has now dont it?you rock bob !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 16, 2009 23:49

I think almost anyone who makes a serious point in rock music, anything other than 'i love you' etc. owes a debt of gratitude to Bob for intellectualising music, or at the least making that aspect more acceptable to a larger audience, so i'd say he's had a large influence - more than most other artists of that era? i'm not quite so sure. I think in terms of songwriting style, i'd say very strongly, although that has only been on a few select occasions, from the period 65-68 most prominantly. I'd say 'Get Off Of My Cloud's surreal style lyric owes a debt of gratitude to Bob, in addition to 'Who's Been Sleeping Here' and 'Jigsaw Puzzle'. I actually believe 'Back Street Girl' is also very Dylan influenced, being a virtual immitation of his songwriting style - however Jagger's unDylanesque vocal and the musical texture of the song tends to disquise this fact somewhat. I don't see any conscious influence to parody Bob's songwriting style post 68, however.

Maybe Bob may have partly influenced the Stones to get back to basics in 68 with Beggars Banquet with a countrified sound - John Wesley Harding may have been an influence on that decision.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-16 23:55 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 17, 2009 00:00

Dear Doctor
dylan is a farce

get over him

that astonished me.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 17, 2009 00:00

What comes across in the 60s is how competitive the top groups all were. Mick and Keith were crushed that the Beatles stole their thunder by releasing Hey Jude just at the time Beggars Banquet was coming out. (See Tony Sanchez's book.) We all benefitted from this competitive spirit. And in my view, Mick's lyrics were *very* much influenced by Dylan. Those were the days...with no standard to live up to, we are left with lyrics like those on Streets of Love.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 17, 2009 00:05

Doesnt the old story go that when Dylan heard the ANIMALS do "House Of the Rising Sun" thats what made him pick up the electric guitar?

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: June 17, 2009 01:03

Can somebody post Them (Van Morrison) doing "It's all over now, baby blue" please. This is a Dylan song sung like Mick Jagger. Who's the hen, who's the egg?
Lyrics certainly like everybody, I think Keith sdaid something like "without Dylan everybody would (not we'd!) still be singing about mini skirts and fried chicken".
Musicwise: Who's Been Sleeping to Jigsaw are very British, lyrics plus musicwise more The Kinks than Dylan.
My opinion Stones/Dylan: see my post regarding the music somewhere up above. Maybe Brian turned Bob to plug in his guitar - and then we start rewriting the history of music.
My opinion Stones/Beatles: It was an every-three-months-competition of anything-you-can-do-we-can-do-it-better.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 17, 2009 06:29

..........wasn't Mick's early version of Sympathy all about a Dylan vibe???......

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: June 17, 2009 12:12

Dear Doctor
dylan is a farce

get over him

I seriously wonder how anybody can doubt Dylan's influence on the Stones when it's just plain obvious, not only with the lyrics, but also with Mick's singing style in certain tracks and the whole feel of some of them. Sounds like plain ignorance to me.

Take tracks like Family, Jigsaw Puzzle, Who's been sleeping here, all the examples mentioned, and you can spot Mick trying to emulate Dylans vocal approach. And no wonder, cause in '66 when the Stones were entering the first slack period of their career, running out of ideas how to stretch their potential any further, Dylan was king, having just released his mighty Blonde on Blonde. Surely the obivous Dylan mannerisms disappeared soon after Beggars Banquet, but in terms of attitude and "depth" Dylan had crept into the Stones' DNA (surely more on Mick's part). I can't imagine Songs like Blood Red Wine, Moonlight Mile or Memory Motel without Dylan's influence (only, by 1975 everybody had finally had their dose of Dylan).

And there's a second point where Dylan's influence (and that of The Band) is looming large: When Dylan abandoned his crazy Highyway 61/Blonde On Blonde phase and moved to Woodstock the Stones were eager to follow his new approach and went back to the basics, turning rural and folksy.

So to me it's just natural that many, many people around here are turned on by Dylan, just as much (or similar) as they are turned on by the Stones. Take away the Dylan influence, and they might never have made the jump from the boyish R&B group - covering or borrowing from Otis Redding, Kinks and other hip performers of the day - to the powerful Rock'n'Rolling Stones of the early Seventies who define their image to this day.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-17 15:13 by Greenblues.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 17, 2009 14:21

scottkeef
Doesnt the old story go that when Dylan heard the ANIMALS do "House Of the Rising Sun" thats what made him pick up the electric guitar?

Not really. Considering he was in a high school rock n roll band, his first musical hero was Little Richard and his first single on Columbia, 'Mixed Up Confusion' was a Sun-influenced rock n roll record.

He probably would have gone back to rock n roll eventually, although its quite possible that record may have given him a push in that direction.

Date: June 17, 2009 15:37

...and what influenced both Dylans and Keiths hairdo is Mr Penniman, Richard Penniman...

2 1 2 0

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1858
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home