Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Keith's Clangers - examples?
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: June 14, 2009 00:37

Well, "savin' Keith's ass" isn't going to get Ronnie back into playing necessarily is it? And - not to hijack the thread from its original topic - but I thought maybe Ronnie had actually 'lost it'. Yet that clip above shows he hasn't. Then again, he actually looked sober there too.

Sometimes I get the feeling that Keith and Ronnie both do not take the musicianship of the Stones seriously anymore. Ronnie's too busy having fun and drinking on the world's biggest and most expensive party every couple of years, while Keith is pre-occupied with perpetuating this "I'm a bad-ass pirate rock legend" image, thus leaving Mick, Charlie, and an army of backing musicians to do all of the real work. All Keith has to do anymore to earn himself a quick few million is show up, look pretty (well, ugly), and crank out a half-assed Chuck Berry solo every once in a while to validate that paycheck.

Sorry about the ranting threadjack.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 14, 2009 04:16

Yeah, you pretty much summed it up there, theimposter.

I agreed that Ronnie's playing in that Art Wood clip was great. Simple but full of exactly that *energy* I was talking about in my previous post in this thread. If both Keith and Ron dug into their guitars like that with the Stones all the time, we'd be halfway back to '78 again. Mick and Charlie would have a better foundation to work with, and they could basically fire the backup musicians...

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 14, 2009 04:21

Even if my ears still are tryinna recover after the sonic chock in Brno,
I believe some of ya guys speak way way too much about playin'.
Performin' is more important.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-14 10:26 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: June 14, 2009 06:02

Tricky76
This gig was truly terrible, its been posted by others here before:

No, Werchter gig was truly great.
Do you really want to prove anything with a footege recorded with a handy-cam or a cell phone?
I was there, great night, fantastic setlist. Keef had got difficulties here and there, but all in all the show was OK

Posted by: squando ()
Date: June 14, 2009 08:05

"Performin' is more importanit."

If you say so.

Getting it right is the first objective. Presenting it is the second.

I agree with you Imposter. Keith has been showboating for far too long and needs to concentrate on the music first. Imagine if Taylor had been doing circa 1969 what Keith has done on stage for the passed 30 years? Taylor wouldn't have been around long enough to get his name on Sticky Fingers.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: June 14, 2009 09:08

Baboon Bro
Even if my ears still are tryinna recover after the sonic chock in Brno,

Baboon Bro i didn´t know you didn´t like that show in brno. wasn´t that also your first concert. but i see none the less you are still here.;-)

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 14, 2009 10:23

I couldn't find this video (O2 last show ?) when Keith just seemed absent ,he stoped playing and stayed on stage doing nothing ;when was it ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 14, 2009 10:29

stoneswashed, last time I checked we do not measure the deepness
of fanships thru number of gigs. If I were rich I would of course have visit
hundreds of gigs since at least 2006.

I lurved the Brno gig a lot!!!
Couple fatal mistakes by Keef is survivable..
Aint the first time ha had difficulties with Brown Sugar.

What I mean by sayin people focus too much on playin'is
there is som much else: singin', showmanship. We have back-up players
& I am sure Taylor could make a few efforts again. smileys with beer

Date: June 14, 2009 15:04

I have to be honest: I have most likely been one of the pessimistic fans here as far as Keith goes. But I just listened to a Cardiff show. B-stage set; and the guitars are definitely blazing. I really really did not think Keith and Ron could light this kind of pyre anymore. The sound is crunchy, there is chording, riffing, lead lines interspersed - and not one bum note. Plus over on the B-stage there is no cushion of horns, xtra keys and Blondie.
So stamina and will are IMO the only hurdles. I'm sold now. Bring on the small arena tour.

Date: June 15, 2009 03:50

Right on, LieB. That Ronnie video proved the musicianship is still there. I am a player myself (piano and guitar, good but no claim to virtuosity), and I know how very easy it is to get out of practice. But, as they say with riding a bike, you never really forget - and it doesn't take long to shake off the rust either. My point - I think Keith and Ronnie can still play, and have it in them to really do so. I have nothing against the backing musicians at all, but as you said, those guys are just a few bars short of some REAL guitar playing to being able and ditch the horns and back-up singers to focus on playing as a foundation for Mick and Charlie (but we'd have to at least keep Darryl and Chuck). I just hope that if they tour one last time, Ronnie and Keith will do a little homework and give something like "Handsome Girls" a spin before they hit the road. After all, why be shown up by those YOUNG guys? cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-15 03:53 by theimposter.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: June 15, 2009 04:25

I agree with LieB's take that one of the problems is Keith's (and Ronnie's) lack of playing. Too many holes . They went from being a guitar oriented band to one where guitar appears here or there at some shows.

I want more Keith on Ronnie, playing with passion, and up in the mix.

But they are also old, and seem to enjoy what they are doing onstage, and the crowds keep coming, and enjoying, even if they are playing nowhere near where they once were.

What I wonder about is: is Keith playing less because of age and arthritis, or does he just not give a crap anymore...he's having fun?

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 15, 2009 14:29

Hairball

LOLZ

Classic!

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 15, 2009 14:33

theimposter
Oh and regarding that "Satisfaction" - I had to stop 34 seconds in. PAINFUL.

Agreed...dreadful. And the tightness and powerful drive of Happy from '72 contrasted is stunning...

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: June 17, 2009 08:55

Hairball

LMAOPIMP!!! Priceless!!! thumbs up

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: June 17, 2009 10:02

A major Clanger

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 17, 2009 10:54

this guy was always my favourite Clanger

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 17, 2009 11:13

theimposter
Well, "savin' Keith's ass" isn't going to get Ronnie back into playing necessarily is it? And - not to hijack the thread from its original topic - but I thought maybe Ronnie had actually 'lost it'. Yet that clip above shows he hasn't. Then again, he actually looked sober there too.

Sometimes I get the feeling that Keith and Ronnie both do not take the musicianship of the Stones seriously anymore. Ronnie's too busy having fun and drinking on the world's biggest and most expensive party every couple of years, while Keith is pre-occupied with perpetuating this "I'm a bad-ass pirate rock legend" image, thus leaving Mick, Charlie, and an army of backing musicians to do all of the real work. All Keith has to do anymore to earn himself a quick few million is show up, look pretty (well, ugly), and crank out a half-assed Chuck Berry solo every once in a while to validate that paycheck.

Sorry about the ranting threadjack.

"...an army of backing musicians..."
Beside the horn section I can easily figure out an army....a two-men-army....

Date: June 18, 2009 21:00

Well, there's 3 back-up singers, a full horn section, a keyboardist, and a bass player that should be counted as back-up since he's not officially a Stone. Perhaps the word "army" is exaggerated but do you not think that's a sizable backing band?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 18, 2009 22:36

theimposter
Well, there's 3 back-up singers, a full horn section, a keyboardist, and a bass player that should be counted as back-up since he's not officially a Stone. Perhaps the word "army" is exaggerated but do you not think that's a sizable backing band?

I realized a while back that if there was any reason to defend the amount of people on stage with them...it's that it takes this many people to replicate the sound that they put in the studio. The back vocals, the horns etc are plentiful in the studio and perhaps they feel the need now to replicate that as accurately as possible by having the 3 backup vocals and other various instruments.

Of course, all the way up to the 80's...they didn't have a full backup band...and they created their own sound for songs that needed more musicians. They were left alone on stage...and they had to make do. Now, they can lean back and let someone else do the driving.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 19, 2009 00:53

theimposter

I think they were backed up since the 72 tour by several musicians if you think
for example of Jim Price and Bobby Keys,Nicky Hopkins ,
or 75/76 Billy Preston,Ian Stewart,Olli Brown ,and a guitarplayer...,
so what might be really different since 89/90 are the back-up singers,so what ?
They are doin´all the work ?
I don´think so.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 19, 2009 02:45

I much prefer to focus on the many fine/great moments that Keith has had over the years. I don't want to discuss a few bonehead moments. Nils Lofgren said that Keith is possibly the best writer of ROCK AND ROLL songs ever. The man has a great resume to refer to. Enough Keith bashing!!!!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 30, 2009 03:31

Where is that O2 video of Keith just standing there!?

Posted by: keef_fan ()
Date: July 1, 2009 00:21

I thought I read somewhere (probably here) that Mick wanted to duplicate the sound on the studio albums in concert since that's what fans expected. Keith has always been the opposite and wanted to wing it on stage, although there seems to be a lot of practice that has gone into their pre-tour routine.

Posted by: keef_fan ()
Date: July 1, 2009 01:02

I just listened to some Shine a Light, must say Keith was a minimalist with his playing. Then I went to a Bigger Bang and on most of the standards JJ Flash and Honky Tonk Woman, Satisfaction just wouldn't sound right if it weren't for his style of playing. I don't remember being disappointed in their concerts but they've been limited to the Boston area.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2084
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home