Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: An accustic opener - would it work?
Posted by: tomzen ()
Date: June 15, 2009 12:03

squando
YCAGWYW stripped and acoustic would work anywhere.

Agree. And I really think they should hire the local town choir for the opening of the song at every place the're playing. It would be fun and it would create a lot of good publicity in the local press before the shows.

Posted by: tomzen ()
Date: June 15, 2009 12:10

electricmud
That`s true: it kills the excitement. That`s the reason why Not Fade Away never really worked for me. Nice idea, nice opening but too controlled. People want to freak out and explode after waiting so long. Songs like SMU or JJF are perfect opener.
I loved UMT in 81/82. It has a similar mood to NOT FADE AWAY but it worked better cause many shows were daylight-shows.The people were sitting and waiting in the sunshine and in the mood to start with a slower midtempo. Just perfect.

You may be right abt killing the exitement. But not so sure. The JJF or SMU kind of opener is what we are used to. Think the total opposite could work as well. The moment they are hitting the stage is always a thrill, but then it's gone. Why not make it last a little longer, walking in on the stage picking up their instruments and starting with a ballad?

tomzen

Posted by: orson ()
Date: June 15, 2009 15:25

No

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 15, 2009 15:27

no way .

Date: June 15, 2009 16:20

I'd say that an acoustic opener would only possibly work for the Stones in a theater or in a club.

Street Fighting Man played similar to the way it was played on " Stripped " seems like a good option for a small venue. Something like As Tears Go By wouldn't work as an opener any time soon in any venue.

Posted by: frankie ()
Date: June 15, 2009 20:11

I'll say it again, they did open acoustic at the paradiso gig 26th of may 1995 except the bass part I believe. Oh yeah it was a great surprise to me when they did but loved it...

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: June 15, 2009 22:29

I don't think opening the whole show with an acoustic number(s) would work - might bring down the energy level of the crowd, but I do like the idea of a two-set show. The Tragically Hip is on one of those right now, and playing for 2 and a half or 3 hours in so doing. They've been opening their second set with back to back acoustic numbers, and this has been getting a fine response. The tunes chosen aren't always ones you might expect, either. For example, imagine the Stones opening set two with Parachute Woman. That'd be cool.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1180
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home