Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Hubert Sumlin's Shoes, redux
Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 15, 2009 19:40

When I first got 2004's "About Them Shoes" I liked the Keith version of 'Still a Fool' but thought it was no where close to the late '60s Stones version. Playing the Sumlin album again this week I think it's a superfine contemporary blues releas by a living legend, with great work by Levon Helm, David Johansen, Blondie Chaplin, and Clapton. But Keith's SAF soars! And his work on 2 other tracks is intimate and distinctive as well. What a nice rocki' record...

Re: Hubert Sumlin's Shoes, redux
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 15, 2009 20:25

Still need to get this one....

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 15, 2009 20:27

Keith's raw version of "Still a Fool" bears comparison with his contemporaneous version of "You Win Again" on the Hank Williams tribute disc, TIMELESS. A number of the same players and the same producer/engineer team were involved with both cuts. Supposedly, there's an entire solo disc in the vaults from the 2000-2001 period (I'm guessing its comprised largely of cover versions and original instrumental compositions like "Only Found Out Yesterday," "Still in Love," and "Blues in E"). Great stuff that I would love to see officially released, but hardly commercial. In my view, this is the serious Keith caring about the music. This is where his heart is more so than new Stones material. This does nothing to dispel rumors of creative bankruptcy, but it would quiet a lot of the naysayers who believe Keith lost all integrity after BRIDGES TO BABYLON. I don't know if it was ever truly considered for solo release or just for his own archives like the Toronto and Longview Farms sessions. Keith also cut a version of the BRIDGES outtake "High or Low" with Sheryl Crow during this period as well. I believe there are a few fortunate souls on this board who have heard some of these tracks. The rest of us must content ourselves to treasure the couple of numbers that slipped out officially and patiently hope for official release of a full disc of such gems.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: June 15, 2009 21:58

The track that knocks me out on this recording is She's Into Something with George Recile of all people singing. Recile's voice and phrasing are a dead ringer for John Hammond.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 15, 2009 22:17

This IS a great album! Even Clapton's vocal manages to be good!
Heres a great show of Hubert and David Johanson on vocals:
[www.megaupload.com]

credit where due!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 15, 2009 22:22

Blondie's version of "Look What You've Done" is also really good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 999
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home