Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Unreleased / Unfinished Albums & Projects Thread
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 10, 2009 01:42

Here's an article I found in an old copy of Record Collector magazine.
I thought I'd share it here as it's rather interesting.
Feel free to share any other info on other unfinished or unreleased Rolling Stones projects. Could make an interesting thread!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-10 04:21 by vudicus.

Re: Unreleased / Unfinished Albums & Projects Thread
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 10, 2009 02:11

ROCKMAN

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 10, 2009 03:28

Was there ever a completed tracklisting for Bill Wyman's "Black Box" project that pre-dates the "Metamorphosis" album.

I know there's a bootleg called the "Black Box" but I'm guessing it's not related to the offical project that never happened.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 10, 2009 13:18

Here's one that should have been released (thanks, Mr. Klein)

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 10, 2009 13:28

Frank Zappa had some tapes with music and album-ideas I have read...if it was Guitar-stuff it's very sad it isn't released..

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: June 10, 2009 15:13

Nice thread!!

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: June 10, 2009 15:21

Deltics

By the way: Does anybody know if this tour poster, used for the cover shot, is available anywhere (I wouldn't mind putting a replica up on my wall ;-) Was it really used then, in addition to the well known Sunrise/airplane poster? Or was it just designed for the album cover?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-10 16:09 by Greenblues.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: June 10, 2009 15:28

vudicus
Was there ever a completed tracklisting for Bill Wyman's "Black Box" project that pre-dates the "Metamorphosis" album.

According to Ian Carr Illustrated Record (ca. 1977):
1) Bright Lights Big City
2) Cops And Robbers
3) I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys
4) Little Red Rooster (live)
5) Down The Road Apiece (live)
6) Let's Talk It Over (= Don't Lie To Me)
7) If You Let Me
8) Godzi
9) Panama Powder Room
10) Gold Painted Nails
11) Fanny Mae
12) Meet Me In The Bottom

Simply said:
Alan Klein's Metamorphosis has more Jagger/Richards songs on it. Don't intrepret J/R songs as a nice gesture to the two but actually meaning more Abkco copyright songs. Which means more money for the Alan B Klein Corporation...
Alan Klein originally had a live version of Satisfaction on hand but could be persuaded to add 7 + Heart Of Stone version on Metamorphosis.
Only 3, 6 + 7 of Bill's proposal made it on Metamorphosis
1, 2 + 10 might be known to you as early BBC radio live tunes. But if it's indicated that 4 + 5 are live then there must be studio recordings of 1, 2 + 10!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 10, 2009 15:50

The double live LP of the 1969 tour which would have included some of the opening acts (Ike & Tina Turner etc) - contractual problems saw it eventually just being released as Get Yer Ya Yas Out.

Unreleased live album from 1972 (Fort worth & Philadelphia) - shelved due to problems with ABKCO over the pre-1971 material.

Necrophilia / Black Box (see above posts)

Memory Hotel (1999) - supposed to be released to tie in with the 1999 European tour. Only announced a few weeks before it but quickly withdrawn. No album cover or track listing was ever officially confirmed.

the multi disc (6 cds?) 'archives' project considered for release in 2002. Band members were sent various songs for their consideration. Shelved in favour of '40 Licks'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-10 15:51 by Gazza.

Date: June 10, 2009 16:20

Could You Walk On The Water was announced by NME oder Melody Maker (don't send me into the cellar to find out which one) in early 1966 with the follwing tracklist:
• Could You Walk On The Water?
1) 19th Nervous Breakdown
2) Sad Day
3) Looking Tired
4) Take It Or Leave It
5) Think
6) Mother’s Little Helper
7) Goin’ Home
8) Sittin’ On A Fence
9) Doncha Bother Me
10) Ride On, Baby

Very interesting selection, isn't it!
Especially No. 3

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 10, 2009 16:35

Gazza
Memory Hotel (1999) - supposed to be released to tie in with the 1999 European tour. Only announced a few weeks before it but quickly withdrawn. No album cover or track listing was ever officially confirmed.

What about an unofficial track listing?
I don't recall hearing any rumours of what was supposed to have been on it.

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 10, 2009 16:49

Deltics

This was for the live album, yes? God that would have been a @#$%& TREMENDOUS live album had it been released...

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 10, 2009 17:36

StonesFanatic
[This was for the live album, yes? God that would have been a @#$%& TREMENDOUS live album had it been released...

Absolutely. The fact that the Stones intended to release another live album so shortly after Get Yer Ya Yas Out indicates that they knew there were sitting on something good...

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 10, 2009 17:39

alimente
StonesFanatic
[This was for the live album, yes? God that would have been a @#$%& TREMENDOUS live album had it been released...

Absolutely. The fact that the Stones intended to release another live album so shortly after Get Yer Ya Yas Out indicates that they knew there were sitting on something good...

One can only agree!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 10, 2009 17:56

Hi vidicus

This is a very very nice thread that you opended ;I've read with great interest the article Could you walk on the water, thanks a lot for sharing it !thumbs up

But it's very difficult for me not being lost with the different threads opened on the subject .Would you mind to "couple/marry " it with the one Honestman wrote some time ago :
[www.iorr.org]

As it won't be double custom.
What do you think ?
Thanks for your answers

BTW,I am really excited in these kinds of subjects and I'll try to help

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 10, 2009 17:58

There have been posts here and there that suggested that the Memory Hotel was to be the B-sides etc...from the Voodoo and Bridges singles and possibly some of the awful 'remixes' I think.

Horrible album title.

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 10, 2009 18:01

alimente
StonesFanatic

Not only would the live album have @#$%& rocked, that cover would be legendary...it's awesome!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 10, 2009 18:10

erikjjf
Gazza

I have my doubts about the whole thing, Erik. It was reported on the news page of this site that it was to be released in a couple of weeks time. the news of it's release came out of nowhere. It was reported elsewhere as well.

see the entry for May 21st - release date scheduled for 31.5.99 - [www.iorr.org]

Yet there was no confirmed track listing and no artwork was ever seen. It's absolutely unheard of - especially in the internet age and even as far back as 1999 - for something to be so close to a release date and for its contents to be totally secret.

I do recall at the time some mention on the internet of rumoured titles - two I remember were "Poor Little Johnny Glass" and "3 Valley Place". I think they were made up, though - and (considering this album was supposed to consist of leftovers from recent albums) none of the titles mentioned have ever appeared on any sessionography I've ever seen.

A little google search for "Poor little johnny glass" throws up a previous discussion on this topic 16 months ago - [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 10, 2009 20:10

Gazza
erikjjf
Gazza

I have my doubts about the whole thing, Erik. It was reported on the news page of this site that it was to be released in a couple of weeks time. the news of it's release came out of nowhere. It was reported elsewhere as well.

see the entry for May 21st - release date scheduled for 31.5.99 - [www.iorr.org]

Yet there was no confirmed track listing and no artwork was ever seen. It's absolutely unheard of - especially in the internet age and even as far back as 1999 - for something to be so close to a release date and for its contents to be totally secret.

I do recall at the time some mention on the internet of rumoured titles - two I remember were "Poor Little Johnny Glass" and "3 Valley Place". I think they were made up, though - and (considering this album was supposed to consist of leftovers from recent albums) none of the titles mentioned have ever appeared on any sessionography I've ever seen.

A little google search for "Poor little johnny glass" throws up a previous discussion on this topic 16 months ago - [www.iorr.org]

Thanks, Gazza.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 11, 2009 00:26

StonesFanatic
Deltics

This was for the live album, yes? God that would have been a @#$%& TREMENDOUS live album had it been released...

If we accept that this:
[www.iorr.org]
is pretty much the unreleased album, does anybody know what would have been on the Stevie Wonder disc?
And has it also surfaced somewhere?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 11, 2009 01:00

skipstone
There have been posts here and there that suggested that the Memory Hotel was to be the B-sides etc...from the Voodoo and Bridges singles and possibly some of the awful 'remixes' I think.

Horrible album title.

I always imagined there would have been titles like "Might As Well Get Juiced (Keith's mix)", the rumored re-recording of "Fiji Jim" plus some other outtakes. Don't believe they would have put some awful remixes and b-sides that were already released just years before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-11 01:01 by Guðni Gunnarsson.

Date: June 11, 2009 01:15

Memory Hotel? This would have been the Sucking in the 90s album?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2225
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home