Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: "Modern-Day" Stones: Your Opinions?
Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: June 9, 2009 01:32

they would not have been taken serious if sympathy live would have sounded like the fantastic studio version?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 9, 2009 01:35

they're ok i guess. sometimes better sometimes worse i suppose...
just another fan who still believes and wants to hear new material played with dedication and care. if they dropped the thin or thick veneer of their collective and original personas (which they will not) and functioned as artists it would be revelatory imo...meeeenwhilllee. i listen to mostly their first ten fifteen years, and that includes the live boots i love the most. it's on them to put their energies wherever...and it's not really been on making albums and promoting them with care.
s

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 9, 2009 01:37

Not Liking Ya-Ya's = Stick In The Mud

To reduce a quote from up there somewhere, Keith and Ronnie can't sing backups...

They just can't. Not in terms of 'sounding good'. If they wanna be rock'n'roll they will. But the stages are like some kind of Starbucks setup now - ultra clean and slick - nothing to do with the music.

How 'bout some examples of the Stones wishing they could sound as good as the studio versions? Here you go, from the Bang tour:

Jumpin' Jack Flash
She Was Hot
Shattered
Loving Cup
Sway
She's So Cold
Sympathy For The Devil
Gimme Shelter
Rough Justice
Oh No Not You Again
ETC......I could give a list of every song they played.

Perfect example, going as far back as 1994 - Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo. They've slaughtered that tune live ever since. It's horrible. Why they bother I don't know. But it's just plain bad. But then they'll pull out You Got Me Rocking and actually play it better than the LP version. Very strange.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 9, 2009 02:13

.......different band.....it has to be put into pre fight and post fight perspectives....and the drug use has taken it's toll....

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: June 9, 2009 02:27

The Rolling Stones will always be the Rolling Stones to me when it comes to the band that I have enjoyed immensely for over 40 years and I am extremely pleased with their overall production both in the studio and live on stage to this point in their legendary careers. I am a fan, a long, long time fan of the band and haven't felt the need to criticize the band because they haven't done what I wanted them too. I understand completely that other fans have the right to be critical if they choose too but Mick and the boys have brought me far, far more happiness and joy then they could imagine and in doing so have left me with some incredible memories of which I always will be grateful.

Could they have done some things better in the past, maybe so, but then so could we all. Can they do some things now that will please the critics, perhaps, but in my opinion, whether they do or not, it will never take away from what they have accomplished since becoming a band. Ever.

The Rolling Stones don't need to prove anything to me as I will let the past 4 decades of their career speak for itself.

Mike

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 9, 2009 02:38

oldkr
I mean given that one half of the song writing team has effectively retired and the other half is focusing his energies elsewhere is it surprising?

I live post 89 stones in a different but equal way...

OLDKR

OLDKR, how do you love(?) the post 89 Stones equally but differently?

cc, on the band feeling/sounding like a band, is that always dependent on how
close the band members are? I ask because I don't think the members of the Cream reunion concerts were exactly friends...cool smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 9, 2009 05:17

Well they certainly have nothing to prove but they seem to have this idea to 'take it as far as it can go' and no one has gone this long etc... so then they're just doing it for the sake of doing it then.

?

Sometimes it seems that way.

They obviously don't need the money. Goddamn is that ever a joke now. It seems like they do it for the money. The problem is they don't PLAY like they're doing it at all. So yeah, it's for the money.

Personally I do not care if they tour again. I do care, however, that if they are to do another album, if they do one at all, that it be...The Rolling Stones. And like with Bridges and Bang and Voodoo - whatever they do, certainly there is bound to be some good tunes on it. Not great, just good. Rolling Stones tunes. Where I hear absolute awful tunes - Continental Drift, New Faces, Might As Well Get Juiced, Rain Falls Down, Streets Of Love, Rock And A Hard Place, others hear good tunes. So there you go.

They're doing it because they can. At this point, why not. Keep going. Or just hang it up. One day the people who gripe about the Stones' age will be right because they'll be dead. Until then, we get no moss.

Well, maybe just a little here and there between albums and tours ha ha ha ha ha.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: June 9, 2009 18:45

OhNoNotMeAgain
As an IORR newbie, I spent the last few weeks browsing through numerous threads on this forum, and one thing I often noticed is that there doesn’t seem to be a lot of love for the Stones‘ "modern-day" work around here (and with "modern day" I refer to the last 20 years), be it albums or live shows. The opinion of many people appears to be that Mick & company sold out to Michael Cohl in 1989 for the "Steel Wheels"/"Urban Jungle" tours and were more of a purely money-driven commercial entity than a real rock band from that point on. You see, I really got into the Stones very late (in 1990), when I saw them at what was my first real big stadium concert, and I love their last few studio albums, in particular "A Bigger Bang". One of my fave songs of theirs is "One Hit" from the much-despised "Dirty Work", which I understand has a reputation of being the worst Stones record ever. It would be interesting to read opinions from long-time fans who've known them since the 1970s, or 1960s even, in regards of their work from, say, "Steel Wheels" onwards. Was it all really that bad? Please discuss.

It was well after "Licks" that I registered on here, because I thought this was a great possibility to be kept updated on new CD releases. I first got into the Stones music by ways of finding them in my mother's records and wanting to check out their new stuff. The first new album I came across in a store was "Wandering Spirit" when it came out. And yes, I'm with you in that it's somewhat hard to believe at first that the current era Stones are less loved by the consensus of the board than the glorious memories of the heyday era Stones. Well, who can blame the consensus of the forum? I certainly can't. I wasn't around during the heyday era, so I most certainly have a different view of the current era because I don't have memories from 72. I guess it's a generational thing.

But the Stones retiring their songs from the current era relatively quickly is one reason why I haven't been to a concert of them whilst ticket prices were affordable, which by now, they aren't any more. I know they won't play "Sparks Will Fly", "Moon Is Up", "Let Me Down Slow", "She Saw Me Coming", "Don't Stop", "Highwire", "Driving Too Fast" and "Jump On Top Of Me" in one and the same concert, but instead play a lot of their classics, to which I don't have that much of a relation to, because they are more or less my parents songs.
So I'm hoping for more CDs with new songs instead.

Hasn't there been this rumour a while ago that Jagger was in the studio with Dave Stewart for a supergroup project? What has become of this? And who are the others in the group?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 27, 2009 22:53

billwebster
OhNoNotMeAgain
As an IORR newbie, I spent the last few weeks browsing through numerous threads on this forum, and one thing I often noticed is that there doesn’t seem to be a lot of love for the Stones‘ "modern-day" work around here (and with "modern day" I refer to the last 20 years), be it albums or live shows. The opinion of many people appears to be that Mick & company sold out to Michael Cohl in 1989 for the "Steel Wheels"/"Urban Jungle" tours and were more of a purely money-driven commercial entity than a real rock band from that point on. You see, I really got into the Stones very late (in 1990), when I saw them at what was my first real big stadium concert, and I love their last few studio albums, in particular "A Bigger Bang". One of my fave songs of theirs is "One Hit" from the much-despised "Dirty Work", which I understand has a reputation of being the worst Stones record ever. It would be interesting to read opinions from long-time fans who've known them since the 1970s, or 1960s even, in regards of their work from, say, "Steel Wheels" onwards. Was it all really that bad? Please discuss.

It was well after "Licks" that I registered on here, because I thought this was a great possibility to be kept updated on new CD releases. I first got into the Stones music by ways of finding them in my mother's records and wanting to check out their new stuff. The first new album I came across in a store was "Wandering Spirit" when it came out. And yes, I'm with you in that it's somewhat hard to believe at first that the current era Stones are less loved by the consensus of the board than the glorious memories of the heyday era Stones. Well, who can blame the consensus of the forum? I certainly can't. I wasn't around during the heyday era, so I most certainly have a different view of the current era because I don't have memories from 72. I guess it's a generational thing.

But the Stones retiring their songs from the current era relatively quickly is one reason why I haven't been to a concert of them whilst ticket prices were affordable, which by now, they aren't any more. I know they won't play "Sparks Will Fly", "Moon Is Up", "Let Me Down Slow", "She Saw Me Coming", "Don't Stop", "Highwire", "Driving Too Fast" and "Jump On Top Of Me" in one and the same concert, but instead play a lot of their classics, to which I don't have that much of a relation to, because they are more or less my parents songs.
So I'm hoping for more CDs with new songs instead.

Hasn't there been this rumour a while ago that Jagger was in the studio with Dave Stewart for a supergroup project? What has become of this? And who are the others in the group?

yeh wattup with that? if it was posted i miss it. heard a lot about mick recording...but don't know the facts...and ron's album, is it done??
anything from keith, aside from visiting bernards gig and stuff...
come on out and play you little rolling stonies

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1527
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home