Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Hampton Coliseum December 1981 opinions
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 30, 2009 01:16

oldkr
in 69 the music was limp and they didnt know who they were.
OLDKR

Ehmm, are you sure you're the right one to give lectures about such a thing....?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 30, 2009 01:18

oldkr
its the best because the stones finally fulfilled their personas before they becae caricatures, the music is kick ass too - in 69 the music was limp and they didnt know who they were.

OLDKR

To some, the process of realization is better than the realization itself. grinning smiley

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 30, 2009 01:36

oldkr
its the best because the stones finally fulfilled their personas before they becae caricatures, the music is kick ass too - in 69 the music was limp and they didnt know who they were.

Yes they did, listen to the beginning of Ya Yas....they were THE GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD.

The 1st Hampton, VA (18 Dec>) show, was sloppy...not even a good example of that tour. The next night (19 December) slayed it.

I appreciate your opinion, but must disagree....the 69 Stones simply destroy anything that came afterwards....Street Fighter from 69 limp? er, wha...??!!

JR

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 30, 2009 01:49

I most wholeheartedly disagree with oldkr's suggestion that the music in 69 from the Stones was limp. What was "limp"? Please explain. I see that suggestion as provocative and aimed at getting people to respond.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: May 30, 2009 02:37

I smell another Mick Taylor argument brewing

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 30, 2009 02:57

great show, great energy, the whole 81-82 tour is that way really, the end of rock n roll stones, the 89 -present day is also great in its own way but the vegas tinge is always there no matter how much they try to cover it up

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 30, 2009 10:02

stone-relics

The 1st Hampton, VA (18 Dec>) show, was sloppy...not even a good example of that tour. The next night (19 December) slayed it.

JR

There's much you can say about Hampton, but not "sloppy", and you are right that it is not a good example of the tour: due to the smaller scale arena and the dozen or so camera's they grew larger than live, and Richards and Wood turned up just a tad less drunk and coked up compared to many other shows.

I can not judge the 19th show, as I never heard it to date except for Imagination on Still Live.

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 30, 2009 11:31

"Richards and Wood turned up just a tad less drunk and coked up compared to many other shows"
Yup! The high quality of the PPV gig only made me wonder over the years why they couldn't play that good on the other gig of the tour. Now I've got an answer...

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 30, 2009 12:28

Hampton is OK, but all tours 1969 - 1978 (except 1976) are better than 1981 or later!

Posted by: django ()
Date: May 30, 2009 13:44

One of the best shows if not the best of the R. Wood era. I have the 2DVD version on WOW with the entire PPV broadcast including the backstage scenes with Bill Graham, Freddy Sessler, a short jam with George Thorogood, all the kids running around etc. For me this 30 minutes before the show is an absolute highlight. Good old R&R days.

Posted by: django ()
Date: May 30, 2009 23:55

One of the best moments in the history of populare music (at least in the history of the Rolling Stones). Especially the last four minutes:

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 31, 2009 02:36

rootsman
Hampton is OK, but all tours 1969 - 1978 (except 1976) are better than 1981 or later!

i'll second that

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 31, 2009 03:16

The band's version of Imagination sets me off. It is the classic sound of the Ron Wood era. A lot of people like it, but I think it is an utter bore not worthy of a close listen. There is a lot less going on than the band wants you to think. For me it's a lowpoint for a legendary band.

I saw the overblown spectacle of that tour at the LA Coliseum. It was depressing because I could not longer connect. When Jagger announced a blues you used to get lovely versions of LIV. When he announced it in '81 you got the very pedestrian BL.

In '69 the audience was on the outside looking in and getting an almost voyeuristic thrill. By '81 the band could do nothing without one eye on the mirror. Songs like Imagination are meant to be enormously palatable. Fun strum alongs if you like that stuff.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 31, 2009 03:28

when the girl brought out the drinks before T&A keith almost gave us a preview of the guitar bashing that was yet to come, he had that how dare you look in his eye

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: May 31, 2009 04:06

Beast of Burdon from this show is for me the one of the finest moments of the rolling stones. it is absolutely amazing and i like everey single note. the sax sets in perfectly and jagger is on fire.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 31, 2009 07:21

81-82 tours were the end of an era for the stones they had stu with them , they played raw,loud, fast, and in your face after that they became too polished and tried to sound too much like the studio versions of their songs

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: May 31, 2009 07:36

I just think the band had a lot of growing to do - were the seeds sewn in 1969 of course! were the band rocking then in the same way? no! they were a different band! and yes compared to the 70s stones i think limp is a good word!

and erik im not lecturing nobody

OLDKR

Posted by: squando ()
Date: May 31, 2009 08:33

I have the deluxe version of it skl127 if you wanna copy of it I'll run it off and send it to you. Great show and perfect Stones for that period.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: May 31, 2009 12:48

Great document of the past tour that felt somewhat authentic. Last tour without the Back Up Army and with Stu on keys.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 31, 2009 17:32

oldkr
I just think the band had a lot of growing to do - were the seeds sewn in 1969 of course! were the band rocking then in the same way? no! they were a different band! and yes compared to the 70s stones i think limp is a good word!

and erik im not lecturing nobody

OLDKR

I thought the seeds were sown in 1962? Why '69?

Date: May 31, 2009 17:33

1969 is beyond criticism; i beg of you.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 31, 2009 17:40

StonesTod
1969 is beyond criticism; i beg of you.

Dont beg...each of us has out opinion...but I am with you...NO Tour, EVER was as good as The Stones in 1969....by ANY Band...EVER.

I guess these guys think Still Life is better than Ya Ya's...what a hoot...

JMHO...

JR

Date: May 31, 2009 17:45

ain't too proud to beg

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: May 31, 2009 18:10

I think it´s a question of your own age, most of you guys that are 50/60+ have a different perspective since you had the opportunity to take part of stones in the 60s. I´m born in 1980 and i think ya ya´s is a great record but when it comes to live records i prefer the Wood era from 75.

Date: May 31, 2009 18:45

i don't think age has anything to do with it. plenty of music i like that would defy my age. there are always sentimental reasons, of course, that can affect one's emotional reaction to something. but, on pure musical merits? no.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: May 31, 2009 18:56

It was an amazing concert.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1716
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home