Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

GOATS HEAD SOUP: best version?
Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 28, 2009 21:43

And while I'm in a talkative mood tonight:

I still have the oldest available version of GOATS HEAD SOUP, an album which I appreciate very much but which sounds really muddy in that version. Are the newer remastered versions significantly better? Which is the best available version?

Re: GOATS HEAD SOUP: best version?
Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: May 28, 2009 21:50

I'd say the Virgin version. (1994) It was a nice upgrade from the original recording, and I don't think the Universal remaster (2009) is better.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 28, 2009 22:03

The best version is the Mickboy remaster(even people that generally dont like his work appreciate this one)

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 28, 2009 22:20

i agree that the mickboy version has the best sound for pc listening, i've only had GHS on virgin cd, atlantic 8track, and cbs cassette formats though i have yet to hear a universal remaster of any album

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-29 07:23 by ghostryder13.

Posted by: akgameboy ()
Date: May 28, 2009 22:38

To me, the Mickboy version is horrible. If you play it even remotely loud, the bass sounds horrible and ruins the music.

Date: May 28, 2009 22:48

HMMM- I usually use the bass and treble controls to alleviate that!

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 28, 2009 22:52

the best version is the original LP, IMHO. None of those cds is really "remastered" other than transferring to digital. YECHHHHH..

JR

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: May 28, 2009 23:59

Mickboy followed by Virgin. Avoid the Universal remaster and the CBS CD.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 29, 2009 00:05

I don't think the CBS CD is really that bad.
It sounds like just a straight transfer of the uncensored album master so there is some unwanted hiss, but at least its not censored or mastered to oblivion like the latest version.

I think the only CBS CD that really sucks is "Sticky Fingers", all the others although far from perfect, are all very listenable.

The Mickboy CDs are horrible in my opinion, EQ'd vinyl rips that do not represent the sound of those original albums.

I'd love to hear Dr. Ebbetts have a go at some Stones vinyl rips, those would most likely be ecellent!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-29 00:07 by vudicus.

Date: May 29, 2009 00:19

I dont agree with you on MB but I sure agree that it would be cool to hear Dr. Ebbetts give it a go! I just got Ebbetts The Who "My Generation" MONO album cd and I love it!

Posted by: R ()
Date: May 29, 2009 00:22

scottkeef
HMMM- I usually use the bass and treble controls to alleviate that!

If it's right, you shouldn't have to do so.

Date: May 29, 2009 01:21

Oh, come on,dont tell me you are one of those folks that use a "pre set" system with "rock,pop,classical.." buttons! You dont even have your own equalizer settings that may not appeal to others??

Date: May 29, 2009 01:35

saltoftheearth

I still have the oldest available version of GOATS HEAD SOUP, an album which I appreciate very much but which sounds really muddy in that version. Are the newer remastered versions significantly better? Which is the best available version?

Check your stylus....It sounds perfect on vinyl...

JR

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: May 29, 2009 01:39

I don't understand what's so great about the lossy Mickboy version. The virgin CD sound just fine. The hard limiting applied to the Universal 'remaster' doesn't impress me.

Date: May 29, 2009 01:53

You say "potato" and I say "TATER"!! LOL!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 29, 2009 02:06

Most of you haven't heard the new remaster.
I bought S. Fingers and listened once/partly to GHS.
It sounded quite good!!

Mickboy is mostly overrated to me! I have IORR and Exile from him and can't see that there is something great.

Date: May 29, 2009 02:13

Well, I dont think everything is gold either! The two you mentioned arent his best work(IMO) I would say GHS,Let It Bleed,Black n Blue,and Aftermath are the ones to judge by(but thats just me!)

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 29, 2009 02:14

The original should sound the best. It was mastered for vinyl.

The Virgin issue on CD of all the CDs (as well as all the rest of the Virgin issues) should sound the best on CD - it was mastered by Bob Ludwig to sound like the (original) vinyl album on CD. That was the deal with the Virgin remasters - to sound like the original vinyl issues on CD, hence being remastered CORRECTLY.

UMG, on the other hand, from all that I have read, seems to think that by just turning it up overall makes it better. That is not the case and certainly does not retain the essence of the original release.

Virgin did that.

End of story.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 29, 2009 02:26

From just listening one time, S. Fingers sounds partly really good and better than heard before by me. But partly it also sounded a bit compressed and some highs a bit blurry.

But I think its a bit mean to imply those professionals that they remastered them by just turning up the volume.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 29, 2009 02:30

Well that's been the general consensus. That's not mean, it's just a truth based on observation by quite a few people. It's not my problem that they did a shitty job. And I don't have to buy any of them - I have the Virgins. I'll save my money.

Posted by: sflfan ()
Date: May 29, 2009 03:25

i agree the univ. version of goats head is not improved
i still feel the new black n blue has some moments
i hear some parts clearer maybe mixed different than goat head
at first listen of goat head i was pissed at the sound/seperation of instruments

Date: May 29, 2009 03:43

All the Mickboys are just Japanese vinyls recorded to cds...sheesh..

JR

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: May 29, 2009 03:51

stone-relics
the best version is the original LP, IMHO. None of those cds is really "remastered" other than transferring to digital. YECHHHHH..

JR
..YES!!! thank you--the LP is the best sounding--it's the way the band mixed it originally and the way it was meant to be heard --for better or worse...mickboy--oh brother YUCK!! who does this jackass think he is REMIXING ROLLING STONES ALBUMS???? PLEASE!!!!

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: May 29, 2009 03:54

stone-relics
saltoftheearth

Check your stylus....It sounds perfect on vinyl

JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-29 03:56 by lunar!!!.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 29, 2009 04:05

Best verson is on Japanese Vinyl. Beautiful heavy stock card board for the cover, nice poster of the "goat" sauna, lyric sheet, and then the album. Which sounds very bright with lots of depth, cymbals actually lingering after the crash and beautiful subtle piano tones.

Date: May 29, 2009 04:24

stone-relics
All the Mickboys are just Japanese vinyls recorded to cds...sheesh..

JR

Interesting! and you know this how?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 29, 2009 11:22

I'm not a fan of remasters....especially not Sister Morphine - and some Mickboy's sounds distortet, basswise, when you crank it up a bit - that's true
Nevertheless; I think "Dancing So Free" from Mickboy is a great listen; because it sounds a lot more "open" than the official CDs.
When it comes to other mediums...I find the Japanese pressing to be the best sounding one. Just like JR; I've realised that none of the official CD releases can't compeat with the original vinyls.....
"Goats Head Soup", Ronnie's "Gimme Some Neck", "Dirty Work" and maybe also "Talk Is Cheep".....those would be the 4 official albums I'd love to hear released as "new remixes"....from original tapes. Especially the drum-sound suffers on the 3 first of them.
Allthough....sometimes, the muddy sound of the original GHS feels just right
Far too long of a post for me to write...I'll have plain coffee tomorrow, and no more expresso...

Posted by: hoodooyouvoodoo ()
Date: May 29, 2009 15:46

I have the CBS album which is murky, just like the vinyl LP.

The Mickboy CD is tremendous - the music is much clearer, crisper and all that murky hiss is gone. The difference is so huge I find it hard to believe that anyone could prefer the original.

He did the same with sticky fingers, I actually got quite emotional when I heard how he'd improved on CYHMK....

With Exile, sure. i can't see such a difference.

has he done Some Girls? I'd like to hear that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2215
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home