Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Track talk: Fool to cry
Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 28, 2009 21:36

Just recently I re-discovered this song, listened to the studio version and to any of the available live recordings, and it's amazing.
Perhaps it reminds me of a very touching moment during my first Stones concert in 1976. We were amazed when Mick Jagger sat on the piano and started the song, with Billy Preston palying the string synthesizer. It was the great hit dunring that summer but it still sounds great!

Re: Track talk: Fool to cry
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 28, 2009 22:07

For sure it DOES remind me a very strong moment during my 1st Stones concerrt in 1976.

Sexy-sounding, Jagger on the electric piano .The lyrics seemed personal, Jagger singing about his own family situation: "When I come home baby/And I've been working all night long/Put my daughter on my knee/And she says: 'Daddy, what's wrong?'/She whispers in my ears so sweet/And she says 'ooh, Daddy you're a fool to cry.'"

A commercial success, spending several weeks on the charts .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: CSD ()
Date: May 28, 2009 22:35

Love it! It's the track that really got me into them when I was only 11. Unfortunatley every time I've seen them live, they've never played it. Perhaps they should try it out again on the next tour.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: May 28, 2009 22:43

please somebody delete these fake tracktalk threads eye rolling smiley

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 28, 2009 22:53

Never liked the song....

JR

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: May 29, 2009 02:04

I like the feel of the song and the execution. Lyrically, it's a bit challenging...Prefer the live '76 versions to the studio..

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 29, 2009 02:15

Fool To Cry, not Fool to cry. Come on, make it right!

Silly tune. Yet I've always liked it somehow.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: May 29, 2009 08:51

No thank you. It's not a favourite.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 29, 2009 22:08

To borrow a phrase........I can Take It or Leave It...

some days I don't mind it and will sing along others I don't LOL

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 29, 2009 23:04

oh dear, the track talks are only at letter "C"...

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: May 29, 2009 23:42

some d-bag i went to high school with used to swear on his grandmother's grave that jagger was singing "Teddy, you're a fool to cry"

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 30, 2009 00:32

Together with Cherry Oh Baby, one of the so-so tracks on the great B&B album.
There's a better version available on "Static In The Attic", which has the sleepy hangover mood which the song fits into....and I also prefer the 1976 live versions, just like Texas Fan - I guess it's the thrill of "new material" on a somewhat disappointing tour in general.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 30, 2009 06:45

I think I know of the version Erik Is talking about. The outtake one I like a lot, the guitars sound cool. The vocals sound good on it but he's not putting much effort into it, whearas in the official version The falsetto singing, the parts where he's just talking, and the more howling type of singing at the end where he pleads "I'm a certififed fool" all add up to make it a great vocal performance from Mick. I think its a fantastic song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-30 06:46 by ryanpow.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: May 30, 2009 07:36

I like it and find it somewhat along the smae lines of Memory Motel from the same album. Didn't hear it live until Philly '99 on No Security.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: May 30, 2009 09:06

Live versions are better than studio one.

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: May 30, 2009 15:07

I love this song! The first time I heard it. Did you know it's supposed to be a true story. I especially like it live on that dvd bootleg, what was it..from 06 NY..just guessing anyhoo a dynamite performance of this song.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 30, 2009 16:52

erase this thread. i'm in a very pedantic orderly phase...;-) let rené do the tracktalks. the alphabetical order makes sense!

Posted by: yapper ()
Date: May 30, 2009 18:13

Anal much?

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 30, 2009 18:48

Silly and poor song!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 30, 2009 20:06

Erik_Snow

There's a better version available on "Static In The Attic", which has the sleepy hangover mood which the song fits into.....quote]

I love it too.
Didn't Jagger say: "I like bootlegs. There ought to be more bootleg records..."?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1875
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home