Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Live in Cologne 1973
Posted by: linnerz ()
Date: May 26, 2009 02:09

Gimme Shelter and Brown Sugar Live in Cologne, Germany 1973:

Re: Live in Cologne 1973
Date: May 26, 2009 02:26

fantastic; in it's rarity. I have never seen this footage. One of the wizards needs to swoop on down and clean it up; could be very cool. On both clips I was trying hard to determine what guitar Keith was playing. It looked like he was on a double cutaway LP (TV Yellow) on GS. And maybe the weird Ted Newman for BS. ??

Date: May 26, 2009 10:05

I'm searching for PICTURES or VIDEOS from COLOGNE 1976 (afternoon show). I do have the bootleg »Eau De Cologne« from that (my first) concert ... but does anybody know of PICTURES or VIDEOS???

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 26, 2009 10:42

I think Keith was still playing a Strat on BS just like the one he was playing on the 72 US tour. I still recall seeing him play that guitar when I saw the Stones play at one of the Essen 73 gigs. I think the guitar in GS was a Les Paul, same like the US 72 tour as well.

Were they good on that tour or what? Very tight arrangements, incredible sound. They were the full package and at the top of their game. The tapes don't lie.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 26, 2009 10:56

Are these Cologne'73 silent 8mm movies dubbed with music from the same night or another?

Posted by: hummingbird ()
Date: May 26, 2009 11:31

On BS, it looks like a Ted Newman Jones ...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 26, 2009 11:36

dcba
Are these Cologne'73 silent 8mm movies dubbed with music from the same night or another?

10 tracks (all incomplete) exists from Cologne in this great quality....it's authentic
The complete audience recording only exists in a lot poorer sound

Date: May 26, 2009 13:12

I think it looked like the LP on GS too; just not the black one, but the double cutaway. Which would be rare for him to do; I think.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 26, 2009 13:54

I don't think he played the Strat at all during 1973. Gimme Shelter in the video is his red double cutaway Les Paul Jr (the one he played with the Faces in 1974 as well), and Brown Sugar was either the same or the "weird" Ted Newman, AFAIK.

Date: May 26, 2009 17:31

Still searching for PICTURES or VIDEOS from COLOGNE 1976 (afternoon show). I do have the bootleg »Eau De Cologne« from that (my first) concert ... but does anybody know of PICTURES or VIDEOS??? Please!!!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 26, 2009 17:41

LieB
I don't think he played the Strat at all during 1973. Gimme Shelter in the video is his red double cutaway Les Paul Jr (the one he played with the Faces in 1974 as well), and Brown Sugar was either the same or the "weird" Ted Newman, AFAIK.

The LP Junior was in fact the only guitar in standard tuning he used throughout the tour, besides the capoed '54 LP Custom for Midnight Rambler.

Mathijs

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 26, 2009 18:10

The red double cutaway Les Paul Jr in GS?

the quality of the viedeo is pretty bad - but that looks more like TV yellow to me.
which would make it the LP Junior named "Dice".

Date: May 26, 2009 20:25

open-g

the quality of the viedeo is pretty bad - but that looks more like TV yellow to me.

No, he used a red one from '73 to '76, and Dice from '79 to date. There appears to be two red Juniors ('73-'74 and '75-'76), and Jagger can be seen playing a red Junior at El Mocambo (probably during Crazy Mama) and in the dressing room in '78.

I don't know when Dice was bought, I believe it first appeared with the new Barbarians in '79.

Mathijs

Date: May 28, 2009 15:08

Mathijs
open-g

No, he used a red one from '73 to '76, and Dice from '79 to date. There appears to be two red Juniors ('73-'74 and '75-'76), and Jagger can be seen playing a red Junior at El Mocambo (probably during Crazy Mama) and in the dressing room in '78.

I don't know when Dice was bought, I believe it first appeared with the new Barbarians in '79.

Mathijs

Yeah, I read you, and true, I haven't seen or found a pic from '73 with Dice on it yet.

but then....that GS video eye popping smiley that can't be the red Junior. I believe only a TV-yellow would stick out that much.

curse on the crappy vid quality!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 29, 2009 03:02

I've been to those Cologne gigs.

In 73 and 76 both shows were on same day! Afternoon and evening.
Some of them were really good! I now mainly remember the 76 gigs.
They shortened the first show but nevertheless a great gig!

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: May 29, 2009 06:33

This is what he used earlier in '73 before the Euro tour.

This is the only Euro tour pix I could find that clearly has a Jr.
Isn't that the same scratch in the pickguard right below the pick-up?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 29, 2009 11:18

>> that GS video - that can't be the red Junior <<

hm: on my monitor it looks exactly like that dark-red Junior - i see what you mean, open-g honey,
about the way the lighting hits it some of the time, but come over here and check it out on my monitor,
especially in the first few seconds of the clip: it's that dark-red Junior for sure.

thanks for posting these, linnerz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-29 11:32 by with sssoul.

Date: May 29, 2009 17:04

Well, hello my dear - where've ya been?
nice to see your typeface, it's been a while. hope all is well.

...and regarding monitors - ouch! mine went kaputt, just yesterday.
I'm looking at the video on a different one now but at 0:32, it still gets me.

good job the clip isn't an ebay-ad or colour reference.

Date: May 30, 2009 10:09

open-g
...and regarding monitors - ouch! mine went kaputt, just yesterday.
I'm looking at the video on a different one now but at 0:32, it still gets me.

good job the clip isn't an ebay-ad or colour reference.

I see what you mean, the reflection makes it appear yellow-ish. But, it really is the red one. There's about 8 or 10 songs from this film, and if he plays his Telecaster it really sticks out yellow compared to the Junior. If the Junior was actually yellow we wouldn't have this discussion -smiling smiley

Mathijs

Date: May 30, 2009 14:01

I had written TV Yellow early on in the thread. Because on my Monitor it looks so obviously light colored. But I see how it must be reflection of the lights that is making it look brighter colored. He did only play the red one in 73. Plus, it seems that there are only 2 knobs on the guitar in the video, and the red one has two. Doesn't TV Yellow have four?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1871
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home