Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: AC/DC - a disappointment
Date: May 27, 2009 00:37

Saw AC DC for the tour opener in October and then a month later in DC..

They rocked it..awesome shows...everyone left the venue on a huge high with big smiles

Don't listen to these people who are too busy defending- they think- the Rolling Stones.. as if its a competition..

There's a reason AC DC are selling out every venue they play for an entire two year tour... they deliver a great rock and roll show.. do they mix it up live? no. but its a great show..and when you haven't toured in 8 - 9 years people just want the ac dc meat and potatoes show..

I would submit however for the record that when people compare the Stones and AC DC live they forget one very important thing: AC DC are the same five guys as in 1980. No extras. Just those five guys.The stones are four of the same guys, a hired hand to play bass, and an extra dozen players to cover up mistakes and make the sound fuller for certain songs... I mean come on! How can anyone compare that.. Its AC DC vs essentially the Rolling Stones Orchestra. Does anyone seriously believe- I mean seriously- that if AC DC and the Stones played the same gig 5 vs. 5 that the Stones would survive the experience? I think thats a tough argument to make these days....

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: May 27, 2009 00:40

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 26, 2009 17:26

The Stones are in a completely different league than AC/DC. AC/DC may be funny at times, but they never ever reach the class of the Stones, even nowadays. I saw both bands in Hockenheim in 2003, the difference was obvious.

It's ridiculous to say they play in different leagues. Both bands have contributed a lot to music history, both have influcenced a lot of musicians, both have incredible players (although angus and malcom still make efforts to play). You may compare acdc setlist with the stones (although the stones change 3 or 4 songs between concerts, if you are lucky): satisfaction again and again, tumbling dice, honky tonk woman, jumping jack flash, miss you... . Both know how to enjoy people. If you aren't lucky, and have surrounding people drunk or whatever, or you are tired, etc., then you can have a bad day. Both at a stones show or at an acdc show.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: May 27, 2009 02:04

I've just come back from the show and while it was an excellent one now I am more than assured that the Stones are way above AC/DC when it comes to concerts.

Fortunately, unlike Lorenz I had no problems with people surrounding me.The crowd was uncannily calm and there were periods of awkward silence between some songs.I guess it had a lot to do with the heat because the band really worked hard and put on a wonderful show.At the end everyone in the crowd went nuts while Angus was doing his solo spot during Let there be rock

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-27 02:05 by stones_serb.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: May 27, 2009 02:07

squando
"1. I've no idea what an "oih oih oih!" chap actually means ?. Not even sure how its pronounced either come to think of it

2. I've no idea what soccer is either. Did you mean football ?

3. What on earth is a bug up your date ?"

Now all you've done is confirm what most here believe about you anyway. Not only are you obnoxious - you are stupid too.

Every time an AC/DC thread appears this guy (AndyJS) posts the same tired crap. His rap changes less than the AC/DC setlist. If you want him to stay under his rock then stop posting AC/DC threads.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-27 02:09 by No Expectations.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 27, 2009 03:31

What determines class or league of a rock band?

Is it drawing power?
Is it record sales?
Is it how long a band's been around?
Is it the opinion of critics?
Something else?

The Stones are a Class A British invasion band from 1964 or earlier. That, I guess would put the Stones in a class by themselves. The first 3 items are fact driven, so with all this argument if the AC/DC is in the same league as the stones, what criteria is being used.

I love both bands for different reasons, never thought of it as competition.

Who's better live has to do with what one looks for in a live show.
I took my son to see the Stones in 2007 and AC/DC in 2008 (He will be 20 next month). His favotite bands are Linkin Park and Green Day. His exposure to the Stones and AC/DC were very similar before the shows. For him the Stones was a great experience but once was enough. He was a bit more excited about AC/DC and thought they played much better....he is a typical rock fan, with someone else, the answer could have been the opposite.

We are not average rock fans on this board, we go to multiple shows, keep track of setlists, etc.

Brings me back to our original question,

Posted by: Gerda ()
Date: May 27, 2009 11:37

BluzDude

Interesting question, but you have already given part of the answer: Drawing power is the sum of being around with high enough record sales for long enough to be a cross-generational band and then be still around touring at the right time. Maybe it has something to do with reflecting the zeitgeist as well. AC/DC with their simple killer-riffs for example started during the oil crises in 1973 and are bigger than ever in the economic crises of 2009 - maybe we´re yearning for honest simplicity...
Hey Lorenz, CrazyMama or whoever thinks I converted to a different band: While writing this, I`m still more of a Stones fan tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: squando ()
Date: May 27, 2009 15:31

I don't care what you'd appreciate. And as I said it is because you are stupid that my comments make no sense to you at all.

At least being 5ft 7ish in grade four for the 11th year running (that would be school Andy before you ask) puts you tallest in the class I guess.

And petal you are of no service at all....

To all others - ACDC rock and rock bloody hard and well imo. Seen them three time over 20 + years and they play pretty much the same gear - but what gear!

Johnson's voice has been shot live since the early nineties and he does look as though he's trying to pass a kidney stone thru his date (that would be his arse Andy..) but he has done a hell of a job filling the shoes of the great Mr Scott.

Also they are always well rehearsed and know their own songs - Keith and Ron could take a leaf out of the Young brother's book.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 27, 2009 15:37

"What determines class or league of a rock band?"

Imho it's the way they position themselves in their won field. Very cleverly MJ has positioned the Stones in the "high art" world (album covers by Warhol, etc etc).
ACDC have done pretty much the opposite, postioning themselves in the "neanderthal niche" of the musical sphere, even though ALL the members of the band are litterate and articulate (see this month's "Classic Rock" )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-27 17:01 by dcba.

Posted by: 61' telecaster ()
Date: May 27, 2009 16:13

It was really loud but not too loud except the endings of Let There Be rock and For Those About to Rock. Sound quality wasn't perfect but OK.

The show itself was good, they did their best, but I wouldn't like to go to their show again. It's so predictable. Some guitar solos sound exactly the same as on 30+ years old recordings, recreated note by note, as in Dog Eat Dog, for instance. I liked it much better when his hand slides off the frets due to sweat, duck-walking or jumping. That's what makes me feel I am listening the band playing live.

There is an interesting thing I discovered (it's never too late). Very often, it sounds like Angus plays bag pipe through his guitar, if you know what I mean. The same way as Duane Allman played guitar to sound like harp.

Now I am definitelly sure that Stones are not of this planet.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: May 27, 2009 17:07

No Expectations
Every time an AC/DC thread appears this guy (AndyJS) posts the same tired crap. His rap changes less than the AC/DC setlist. If you want him to stay under his rock then stop posting AC/DC threads.

LOL!!!

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: May 27, 2009 17:34

The Stones
No Expectations
... changes less than the AC/DC setlist. .

Do they have the warhorsitis, too?! All songs mentioned above are familiar to me though I don't owe an AC/DC record.

Date: May 27, 2009 19:53

Watched ACDC in Brisbane 1976, Copenhagen 1977, Leipzig 2003, and now Düsseldorf indoor-arena show 2009. It was fun all along. They're so simple and so convincing. And with a good sense of humour. And that's it. Sometimes that's all you need. And sometimes I need complex compositions. But perhaps I'm strange. I don't need and don't want to compare. Don't see the reason for it...any longer. I'll always name Stones as the no 1 band if anyone asks...and if they don't want to listen my long list of musical interests.

Fans/Audiences: There're idiots all over. Mostly connected with being pissed. Both my worst and my best Stones-experience happened in Stockholm 2003: Completely pissed people around me on the floor at Globen, and a hell of a fantastic atmosphere at the Cirkus. Globen was however a great concert, but I could have been without havin to punch a drunken Swede for grabbing my girlfriend's tits...thinkin that they may contain free beer smiling smiley...at least he could have asked and paid smiling smiley

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: May 28, 2009 01:56

The Stones
No Expectations

LOL!!!

alternatively, why do you bother joining in any AC/DC threads ?

does seem odd

get back to yer pipe and slippers old bean. this thread is too LOUD for you

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: May 28, 2009 05:46

andy js
The Stones
No Expectations

LOL!!!

alternatively, why do you bother joining in any AC/DC threads ?

does seem odd

get back to yer pipe and slippers old bean. this thread is too LOUD for you

Geez same OLD lame jokes.......................work on some new material please your act is sooooooooooooooooo tired it would put an insomniac to sleep. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Date: May 28, 2009 11:27

"Geez same OLD lame jokes"
Hey Andy's a fan among fans = he won't let anyone piss on his fav band.
That's what we do with the Stones right?

Date: May 28, 2009 13:09

No Expectations
Geez same OLD lame jokes.......................work on some new material please your act is sooooooooooooooooo tired it would put an insomniac to sleep. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I'm sure you don't need any help getting to sleep mate. Mid afternoon nod offs are no doubt par for the course

Date: May 28, 2009 13:12

thing is DCBA, these old farts don't like AC/DC, but they can't help but join a discussion thread about AC/DC

shows how @#$%& boring their lives must be

having said that, AC/DC threads seem to pop up on here frequently these days which shows how the pendulum has swung for those of us who need some real rock n roll now the Stones can't deliver it

shit happens

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: May 28, 2009 13:12

andy js
No Expectations

I'm sure you don't need any help getting to sleep mate. Mid afternoon nod offs are no doubt par for the course

Why can't you just accept that AC/DC suck and leave it there,

Posted by: folke ()
Date: May 28, 2009 14:10

Why can't you accept that both AC/DC and Rolling Stones are great bands?

Posted by: openthedoor ()
Date: May 28, 2009 14:19

I can accept that you suck but acdc...no

Date: May 28, 2009 16:12

"AC/DC threads seem to pop up on here frequently"
yep this and the fact that U2 threads don't last long here prove one thing : there are only 2 contenders for the "current greatest rock band" title : the Stones and ACDC.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 28, 2009 16:26

You lot are a silly bunch.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 28, 2009 19:10

folke

That would require an open mind....Something many people around here lack.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: May 28, 2009 21:19

folke

I can accept both were, and only one is still

Thats the key difference, One of em still delivers and wows the crowds and the other is the Stones

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1236
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home