Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Everybody needs Somebody to Love
Posted by: TERRY H ()
Date: May 19, 2009 04:19

Does anybody know why the original version of this song was replaced on later pressings of the LP and later on the CD with a different recording?

Re: Everybody needs Somebody to Love
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 19, 2009 16:47

mistake I think.
there were 2 released recordings, one 3- and one 5-minute long.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 19, 2009 17:07

Originally, the 5 minute version was released on the UK album, Rolling Stones No 2. The three minutes version was released on Rolling Stones Now!

However - and rather bizarrely - the 1986 edition of the Rolling Stones Now! features the longer UK version, despite the track length in the sleeve notes referring to the time of the shorter version!

Was the above mistake rectified for the '02 remaster?

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: May 19, 2009 23:52

I don't suppose anyone out there has heard or even got a copy of the supposed 15 minute version that Roy Carr talks about in his book?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 20, 2009 03:31

The version that originally appeared on the US album NOW! appears as a bonus track on the SACD version of MORE HOT ROCKS so both are currently available.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 20, 2009 08:50

Glam Descendant
The version that originally appeared on the US album NOW! appears as a bonus track on the SACD version of MORE HOT ROCKS so both are currently available.

Ok - but why did they not just rectify the situation by putting the shorter version on the Now! remaster? They should have then put used the longer UK release on More Hot Rocks. They rectifed the problem with Time Is On My Side - guitar version being on '89 Singles Collecection - but not this?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 21, 2009 03:57

Well not really an answer but when NOW! was reissued on vinyl in the late 80s the shorter version was replaced by the longer version, and the CDs followed suit. I believe it was generally thought that the release of the shorter version had been an error in the first place but have no source at hand to cite.

In short, if you're looking for consistency in this sort of decision-making process you're probably not going to find it, from ABKCO or otherwise.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1213
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home