Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Is Buffalo 75 really that good
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 7, 2009 14:57

Erik_Snow
The Sicilian
Now the August tour closer in Buffalo was for me just the sound that crave in a live recording. I want to hear the band play wasted and loose. I don't care if Mick slurs and stumbles all over the lyrics, because it is REAL. They were having a great time and so was the audience. The Stones rarely performed out of character and this is a peek at just that.

That being said, the show sounds just fantastic cranked in a good stereo. If you want to really get a feel for the Stones in all their glory of 1975 this is the one. Let me put it this way, knowing all the shows of 1975, if I could attend only one show that year, this would be at the top of my list.

Hrmmmph, as much as I enjoy the loose feeling coming from the stage - I think you're in the minority of thinking that Buffalo 08/08 was the ultimate TOTA concert.....
It's a fun listen (at first)...and the quality is great; because Mick is so out of it - but it completely lacks the direction and power. They're (or Mick) is just wasted in Orchard Park

What do you mean "lacks direction and power?" Does the band have to straight and rested to put on a fantastic show?

I think they really just partied hard and decided to let it out that night. Sometimes creativity peaks under the influence. I don't think you would find one disappointed fan that night.

Oh yeah, maybe me, my mother would not let me go to it. But she relented and let me attend my first concert in March of 1976. David Bowie at the Aud. Geezzz only 7 months earlier.....I must remind her on Mothers Day.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 7, 2009 19:27

Well said Sicilian! I had to miss the '69 tour because my Dad said I was too young and I was crushed so he made it up to me in 1972, big time!! The Stones, being so well known as the " bad boys of rock" back then scared a lot of parents. I just kept the pressure on for 3 years so by the time their 1972 rolled around, Dad had to relent!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 8, 2009 03:05

The Sicilian
Erik_Snow
The Sicilian
Now the August tour closer in Buffalo was for me just the sound that crave in a live recording. I want to hear the band play wasted and loose. I don't care if Mick slurs and stumbles all over the lyrics, because it is REAL. They were having a great time and so was the audience. The Stones rarely performed out of character and this is a peek at just that.

That being said, the show sounds just fantastic cranked in a good stereo. If you want to really get a feel for the Stones in all their glory of 1975 this is the one. Let me put it this way, knowing all the shows of 1975, if I could attend only one show that year, this would be at the top of my list.

Hrmmmph, as much as I enjoy the loose feeling coming from the stage - I think you're in the minority of thinking that Buffalo 08/08 was the ultimate TOTA concert.....
It's a fun listen (at first)...and the quality is great; because Mick is so out of it - but it completely lacks the direction and power. They're (or Mick) is just wasted in Orchard Park

What do you mean "lacks direction and power?" Does the band have to straight and rested to put on a fantastic show?

I think they really just partied hard and decided to let it out that night. Sometimes creativity peaks under the influence. I don't think you would find one disappointed fan that night.

Oh yeah, maybe me, my mother would not let me go to it. But she relented and let me attend my first concert in March of 1976. David Bowie at the Aud. Geezzz only 7 months earlier.....I must remind her on Mothers Day.

everyone talks about how "wasted" The Stones were at this show or "partied hard" Again I was there and it was the 4 time seeing them on this tour. Theye didn't act different than the 3 other shows at all. people are making assumptions from a boot and weren't there for the show. Mick was him self. If people hear Mick blow a lyric or miss a cue from a 94 boot right away they say he was wasted. Maybe he was having an off night. Don't judge the show from the boot. There are other factors. Where the tape machine was set up. The venue. The sound system. Many factors....but as far as Keith goes that's another story.
And by the way Sicilian you missed one of the best shows I ever saw. The Aud june 15th show. I still have the Buffalo News review. ....is that pot smoke comming out of the Aud or just dust?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-08 03:06 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: terra3 ()
Date: July 14, 2009 09:43

Ha. Just dropped into this forum . . . actually seeking out the Aug 8, '75 recording.

I was at that show. I can't attest to whether some of them were high or not. Had one crazy day/night at that concert. Took a series of 'things' one-after-the-other, thinking I wasn't getting off . . then bang. Dancing with nudist colony members amidst a pile of bikers . . . dancing to the Stones. Only time in my life I remember dancing like a madman.

At one point, I thought Jagger was growling like a dog at everybody . . audience, band . . . . and for years I could never get the sound of 'outa space' outa my head. That and 'Fingerprint File'.

I didn't get back home to Canada for 2 days. Wildest time I had in my life.

Anyway, if anyone has a copy of that recording, I'd be much obliged . . . .

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 14, 2009 11:08

The Buffalo show is worth getting altho my copy appears incomplete.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: July 15, 2009 17:53

I think some people are confused about the Buffalo shows. There were two Buffalo shows on that tour, one early in the tour on June 15th in an indoor auditorium. The other was the last show of the tour outdoors in Rich Stadium.

The partial soundboard recording that circulates is from the June 15th show. It's the better performance of the two shows. The other show, from August 8th, is available in it's entirety as a very good audience recording. I'd probably place it in the top 10-15 of the tour sound quality wise but performance wise, I'd place it somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 16, 2009 01:15

In 75 the Stones weren't doing LSD anymore! And Mick particularly would have never gone on stage on LSD!

Date: July 16, 2009 01:34

I agree CousinC, Mick has an ego, thankfully, and would never risk doing a bad show due to acid. It would have been noticeable in his dancing for sure. The band was loose but not out of control by any stretch. They laughed a lot more than I'd ever seen before, and were in very upbeat moods. Even Charlie smiled a lot!! It was a beautiful experience.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 16, 2009 02:59

mickschix
I agree CousinC, Mick has an ego, thankfully, and would never risk doing a bad show due to acid. It would have been noticeable in his dancing for sure. The band was loose but not out of control by any stretch. They laughed a lot more than I'd ever seen before, and were in very upbeat moods. Even Charlie smiled a lot!! It was a beautiful experience.

You're right. I have to defend this show for the 100th time. Mick wasn't wasted at all. I don't know how the rumour even started. It's one of my hometown shows and i have to defend it. Again I remeber reading in a Keith bio book that Mick was so wasted that he sand SFM instead of Brown Sugar. it NEVER happened. if you listen to the boot it never happened. Why do people make up this stuff?

Date: July 16, 2009 03:24

I don't know, HOT ROCKS. I guess some folks think they can say things that are incorrect and it will go unchallenged! WRONG! I remember Brown Sugar so well from this show; it's a sad memory really because my Dad brought me to this show as pay back for not getting me to the Beatles Shea Stadium concert years before. We had ( my parents and Red Irish Setter, and myself) a motel right by the Rich Stadium, walking distance, so he waited outside for me. I was 21 and there were almost 100,000 packed into this Buffalo Bill's Stadium. He was singing the crowd participation part as we walked back to the motel. He said they sounded great! Some cops set up a circle of flares around him so I could see him when I came out...I was staggering..very dehydrated, no water for many hours. That's a long story that can wait for another day. Let's just say Mick was in top form, not on acid and did not sing the wrong song!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1644
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home