Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is Buffalo 75 really that good
Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: May 5, 2009 02:54

Can some please help. I heard that Buffalo 75 is a better quality recording than Toronto & NYC..Hold on tight. Is this correct.

Re: Is Buffalo 75 really that good
Posted by: BBstones ()
Date: May 5, 2009 03:14

Its good, I dont have Toronto, but my NYC sounds kind of tinny and Buffalo is more deep sounding. I would recommend it.
BB

Posted by: loveyoulive75 ()
Date: May 5, 2009 05:08

You mean the August 8, final show of the tour? It sounds good, but Jagger is just ripped...supposedly Mick, Keith and Woody all dropped acid before the show, and listening to it, I could just about believe it! Sir Mick is certainly drunk as a skunk, at the very least. I mean, it's a good show (as in it's not as bad as some; TOTA took a few gigs to really get going) but there are probably other ones worth grabbing first...

Toronto really is excellent, by the way, IMO the first REALLY good show of the tour (they did use parts of it on "Love You Live", after all). I've got the vinyl sourced "Hold On Tight" (NY June 27), and it's up there sound-quality wise alongside the LA Millards, Boston and Baton Rouge.

Personally I'd give Buffalo a 9, SQ wise. Performance an 8.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 5, 2009 06:26

Toronto is a really good show, minus the first minute and half of no vocals on HTW. But the boot sounds kind of tinny, the bass in really low in the mix. It seems as though they were trying to play flawless which IMO makes the recording kind of stiff.

Now the August tour closer in Buffalo was for me just the sound that crave in a live recording. I want to hear the band play wasted and loose. I don't care if Mick slurs and stumbles all over the lyrics, because it is REAL. They were having a great time and so was the audience. The Stones rarely performed out of character and this is a peek at just that.

That being said, the show sounds just fantastic cranked in a good stereo. If you want to really get a feel for the Stones in all their glory of 1975 this is the one. Let me put it this way, knowing all the shows of 1975, if I could attend only one show that year, this would be at the top of my list.

Date: May 5, 2009 13:17

Thanks for the comments. I do have Tor, NY & Buffalo on cd. But only listened to them once. Just wanted a output of opinion. I'll have to dig up Buffalo again.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: May 5, 2009 18:27

Which Buffalo show are you referring to? There's the 6/15 show available as a partial soundboard, and the one in August at the end of the tour that's available as a very good/excellent audience recording.

The 6/15 show is the better performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-05 18:28 by Tumblin_Dice_07.

Date: May 5, 2009 19:30

Tumblin_Dice_07
Which Buffalo show are you referring to? There's the 6/15 show available as a partial soundboard, and the one in August at the end of the tour that's available as a very good/excellent audience recording.

The 6/15 show is the better performance.

6-15 the not complete show

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 6, 2009 02:02

I was in the front row at the August 8, 1975 show at Rich Stadium and I didn't think Mick was drunk at all, or even stoned, just very casual, loose and the band was on fire! It was the " perfect show" with a small stage, no back up singers, only Billy Preston and Ollie Brown as extras and they roared through the set list!! I was exhausted after those 2 hours 20 minutes. My pictures from that show are counted among my best Stones treasures. ( I have no idea how to post pictures here). For me, it was the best Stones show, maybe because I was on top of the stage making eye contact all night, but I'd done that on other occasions after that night....it was just extra special.

Date: May 6, 2009 03:07

I stil think Mick was "zapped with best heavy tranque."

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: May 6, 2009 19:59

Well, my dear friend, he sure didn't look that way from 5 feet away!! He was yummy, that's for sure, especially in his purple velvet cape. I didn't notice slurred speech or stumbling about, but he was sure was energized, but when isn't he!?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 6, 2009 20:44

Mickschix,

Upload your pics to photobucket.com

Right click on the pic.

select "copy image location".

copy and paste in "Reply to this Message"

Place/Type

Posted by: pdw ()
Date: May 6, 2009 20:48

Who opened for them, and was that show at night or during the day?

Date: May 6, 2009 20:52

IMG within [ ] at beginning and end of location text Preview and then Post

Date: May 6, 2009 23:33

I'll try to get my computer tech boyfriend to download the photos, thanks for the instructions. This was an all-day event, with the gates opening at noon and The Outlaws played, then Bobby Womack . I enjoyed both opening acts. There was an aerial show, lots of things going on but the Stones never came on until after 9:15. It was blazing hot, lots of bad acid going around, lots of folks got carried out on stretchers. It was general admission so I just sat in front of the stage and stayed there for over 9 hours. I had great kidneys then. It was a day I'll never forget, one of my happiest.

Date: May 6, 2009 23:45

Yeah

I know what you mean. The 1975 tour was my favorite because it was my first. I caught them in Greensboro, however this concert atmosphere was unruly. Unfortunately, unlike you , the Kennedys were not present. LOL

We all look forward to the pics!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 6, 2009 23:46

pdw
Who opened for them, and was that show at night or during the day?

The Outlaws and Bobby Wommack opened the show. The concert started after sundown. mick was fine he wasn't on acid as some people post. he was in fine form and having a good time. i wish those stupid rumors would stop.In one book a writer said that Mick was singing Street fighting Man instead of Brown Sugar during the show. I was there. IT NEVER HAPPENED. If you listen to the boot is shows that it never happened. I hate those bull crap made up stories.

Date: May 7, 2009 00:35

I am just as angry at that false information, circulated by people who were NOT at that show! The entire band was jubulant, probably because it was such a fabulous crowd, the last show of a long tour, and they let it all go that night! I thought it was simply brilliant!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 7, 2009 01:10

The Sicilian
Now the August tour closer in Buffalo was for me just the sound that crave in a live recording. I want to hear the band play wasted and loose. I don't care if Mick slurs and stumbles all over the lyrics, because it is REAL. They were having a great time and so was the audience. The Stones rarely performed out of character and this is a peek at just that.

That being said, the show sounds just fantastic cranked in a good stereo. If you want to really get a feel for the Stones in all their glory of 1975 this is the one. Let me put it this way, knowing all the shows of 1975, if I could attend only one show that year, this would be at the top of my list.

Hrmmmph, as much as I enjoy the loose feeling coming from the stage - I think you're in the minority of thinking that Buffalo 08/08 was the ultimate TOTA concert.....
It's a fun listen (at first)...and the quality is great; because Mick is so out of it - but it completely lacks the direction and power. They're (or Mick) is just wasted in Orchard Park

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 7, 2009 02:58

Is was there. They weren't wasted. No stumbling on stage. No not knowing were they are. They put on a good show. you can't tell from a boot. By the way. the June 15 Buffalo Aud show was even better.

Date: May 7, 2009 03:07

Why don't these folks get it, that we were there!

Date: May 7, 2009 03:18

mickschix
Why don't these folks get it, that we were there!

Yeah you were there...but I was talking about the Rolling Stones....not about you or "WNY Stones / More Hot Rocks".....the man who likes to threaten people per email....very kind fellow; I'm sure.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-07 14:29 by Erik_Snow.

Date: May 7, 2009 04:37

Maybe the pictures will reveal some type of drug abuse.

"Every picture tells a story, don't it?"

Date: May 7, 2009 04:45

More Hot Rocks
you can't tell from a boot. By the way. the June 15 Buffalo Aud show was even better.

Yes June 15th was much better - and you are incorrect; I can tell pretty much by "a boot"

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: May 7, 2009 04:50

I like the party atmosphere of the 08/08 show but it´s certainly not one of the top performances of the tour IMO. Too bad the tape is cut between songs. Mick is obviously toasted and I would love to hear more of his drunken in-between-song ramblings. The June 15th show is brilliant.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: May 7, 2009 04:55

Erik_Snow
More Hot Rocks
you can't tell from a boot. By the way. the June 15 Buffalo Aud show was even better.

Yes June 15th was much better - and you are incorrect; I can tell pretty much by "a boot"
....yea--you can "tell" by a boot!!-----no overdubs don't lie!!! NYC '69 boots vs. GYYYO----and there you have it.

Date: May 7, 2009 05:11

lunar!!!
Erik_Snow
More Hot Rocks

....yea--you can "tell" by a boot!!-----no overdubs don't lie!!! NYC '69 boots vs. GYYYO----and there you have it.

Some people who witnessed a concert like to think that everybody who only "listen to the show, through recordings" won't grasp anything about the event

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-07 14:28 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 7, 2009 06:06

love that boot from rich stadium, almost sounds like a SBD

Date: May 7, 2009 07:25

WHO ARE YOU CALLING AN OLD AUNT!? Seriously, what " between song ramblings"?? See, if you only LISTEN to a boot, you are not getting the complete " picture", if you get my drift. By the way, I own that boot from 8/8/75 so I have heard it too and I'm not thrilled with the quality.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: May 7, 2009 11:56

I was at both and the Toronto shows. All were great, but the Buffalo show in June was the best by far. Probably the best show I ever saw and the best ever performed in the Aud, equalled only by The Who in December of the same year.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: May 7, 2009 13:45

Steven
I was at both and the Toronto shows. All were great, but the Buffalo show in June was the best by far. Probably the best show I ever saw and the best ever performed in the Aud, equalled only by The Who in December of the same year.

Nice to hear that, as judging straight from the recordings (I have only the soundboard part, included in The Missing Jewels box set) the June show must indeed be one of the best performances from the TOTA.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-07 17:11 by Greenblues.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1701
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home