Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT; Neil Young live - any pointers?
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 30, 2009 08:07

well, it had been so long since i had seen him, i didnt care what he played and -- i had been assured by many that the show would be very good or great

i deliberately stopped reading a recent article reviewing one of his shows in Detroit i think as i said 'i dont wanna know, i wanna be surprised'

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: April 30, 2009 13:03

Glam Descendant
>The problem with Neil is you never know what your going to get.

That must have been true back in the day but now, anyone w/access to the internet can have a clear idea of what he's up to. These people that attended, for example, a show on the GREENDALE tour and were surprised and/or disappointed simply were *not* paying attention beforehand. Ditto that last CSNY tour -- if these people are that concerned about the setlist they should do a wee bit of research beforehand and spend their time/money accordingly.
Well,yes and no.I saw him in London a year ago specifically because i knew he was playing an acoustic/electric show.The setlists for the previous shows were fantastic (Love in mind,Journey through the past,On the way home etc) and it was gearing up to be my dream Neil show.Unfortunately,for me,he decided to play all 5 of the unreleased and unknown songs he had been debuting during the tour,none of the great 70-73 era album tracks, and after the electric set came back for one encore,The Sultan,which nobody knew and that was it.The next night he played 4 encores.Now,one of the things i've always admired about him has been his artistic integrity and refusal to play safe,just a pity(for me anyway) he used it in full on that night.Still,hearing Ambulance Blues live was a dream come true.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 30, 2009 14:37

andy js
Nanker Phlegm
I got my oldest mate back in Ireland ticket for Cork, he was disappointed.

there were plenty moaning the day after because they expected a set full of 'classics' and acoustic stuff

@#$%& em

The Stones it seems arent the only act in the world who attract musical peasants who demand that they pander to their idiocy. Thankfully, Neil doesnt give a shit.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: April 30, 2009 15:18

still ill
Well,yes and no.I saw him in London a year ago specifically because i knew he was playing an acoustic/electric show.The setlists for the previous shows were fantastic (Love in mind,Journey through the past,On the way home etc) and it was gearing up to be my dream Neil show.Unfortunately,for me,he decided to play all 5 of the unreleased and unknown songs he had been debuting during the tour,none of the great 70-73 era album tracks, and after the electric set came back for one encore,The Sultan,which nobody knew and that was it.

which night at Hammersmith was that then ?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 30, 2009 15:26

9th and 15th March were the only London shows that ended with The Sultan (some shows had longer encores to compensate for shorter electric sets - the show lengths were pretty similar throughout)

[www.sugarmtn.org]

9/3/08
From Hank To Hendrix / Ambulance Blues / Sad Movies / A Man Needs A Maid / No One Seems To Know / Harvest / After The Gold Rush / Mexico / Try / Old King / Love Art Blues / Don't Let It Bring You Down / The Needle And The Damage Done / Heart Of Gold // The Loner / Dirty Old Man / Spirit Road / Down By The River / Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Too Far Gone / Oh, Lonesome Me / The Believer / Powderfinger / No Hidden Path // The Sultan

15/3/08
From Hank To Hendrix / Ambulance Blues / Kansas / Sad Movies / Mexico / A Man Needs A Maid / Harvest / Love In Mind / Journey Through The Past / Homegrown / Love Art Blues / Love Is A Rose / Out On The Weekend / Old Man // The Loner / Dirty Old Man / Spirit Road / Powderfinger / Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Too Far Gone / Oh, Lonesome Me / Winterlong / No Hidden Path // @#$%&' Up / Tonight's The Night // The Sultan

9th March has five of the unreleased songs, 15th March has four of them - although I dont think any were 'debuts'. Im pretty sure theyd all been played on previous tours somewhere along the line

Still plenty of early 70's album tracks there though - A Man needs a Maid, Harvest, Love in Mind, Journey Through the Past. Out on the weekend, Old Man, Oh Lonesome Me, Dont let it bring you down, Needle and the damage done, Heart of Gold - some of them played at both of those shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-30 17:47 by Gazza.

Date: April 30, 2009 15:43

dunno how anyone could grumble at either of those setlists personally

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: April 30, 2009 15:56

Great setlists indeed. Neil Young, Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen sure know how to play a vast amount of different songs.
I wish The Rolling Stones would do the same and especially AC/DC who are playing the same 19 songs every night. Identical setlists every night = shit sandwich.

Date: April 30, 2009 16:44

thing is, AC/DC don't get boring

its all in the delivery. and i'd rather have what they do than the Stones trying something new, like Sway for instance and making a complete turkey out of it

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 30, 2009 17:16

greendale album and tour were great - didn't see anybody at the show i went to who seemed perturbed or disappointed.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 30, 2009 18:07

>>Yeah, no problem, but give me a day or two to recover. Perhaps about this time next week! <<

Thanks again, EG

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: April 30, 2009 19:20

I saw Neil last week in London ON and it was the first time I'd seen him since the Greendale tour. In all honesty this was the best Neil show I'd seen except for the Gulf War One tour in Feb 91 which had a special charge to it. Neil played an interesting set considerably different than the shows last year with the same band. He played a lot of screeching guitar but the band did not have that total sludge sound of Crazy Horse - the playing was more professional than the Horse but still had some of that reckless abandon. Neil's voice was also very good - clear as a bell and undiminished. Last time I'd seen him on TV it was at Live 8 and he was ailing after the brain surgery - he seems totally back in form now. Also his wife is a pretty good singer.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: April 30, 2009 20:00

andy js

which night at Hammersmith was that then ?

I was at the 9/3 show.

gazza
9th March has five of the unreleased songs, 15th March has four of them - although I dont think any were 'debuts'. Im pretty sure theyd all been played on previous tours somewhere along the line

Still plenty of early 70's album tracks there though - A Man needs a Maid, Harvest, Love in Mind, Journey Through the Past. Out on the weekend, Old Man, Oh Lonesome Me, Dont let it bring you down, Needle and the damage done, Heart of Gold - some of them played at both of those shows.

I actually thought there was 1 more unreleased acoustic song so i'm mistaken there but Mexico and Try had been played before only on the US leg in 2007.Regarding the 70's stuff he played that night(HoG,DLIBYD,NATDD,),to me they are the equivalent of JJF,BS,HTW in stones shows,however good they are,we've heard them a million times before.I really was looking forward to some of the deeper 70's songs but didn't get them,save the ones he was playing every night.It's his prerogative to play what he wants but equally mine to have a grumble.I will add that both sets were played flawlessly and the band was excellent.

Here's the setlist for the previous night 8/3/09

From Hank To Hendrix / Ambulance Blues / Sad Movies / A Man Needs A Maid / Flying On The Ground Is Wrong / On The Way Home / Harvest / Journey Through The Past / Love In Mind / Mellow My Mind / Love Art Blues / Love Is A Rose / Heart Of Gold / Old Man // Mr. Soul / Dirty Old Man / Spirit Road / Down By The River / Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Too Far Gone / Oh, Lonesome Me / Winterlong / Powderfinger / No Hidden Path // Roll Another Number

Not sure you can get better than that.Looking at the setlists,1 or 2 encores was the norm for these shows.

Date: May 4, 2009 16:42

We saw Mr Young in Kansas City on Thursday night, 4/30/09
and no matter the song it turned into a Neil Young Jam session, raging guitars.
I rate this concert a 9/10 on a scale of 1 - 10.

We bought last minute GA floor tickets, and it was fun,,,, LOTS OF FUN.

I was amazed. I have seen him 9 times, and this time was one of the best.
"Down by the River" is still ringing in my head. He is a master of what he does.
He plays the piano, rages on guitar, plays the harp,,,,does it all.
He has some guy painting pictures on stage, and N.Y. rolling papers for sale at the stands,
All very interesting : )

Some people whine about too many new songs....but
facts be knowm, as I said...no matter the song it turned into a Mr Young Jam,
I love that sound.

He is coming to Europe.
If you are like RnR, dont miss it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-05 09:51 by Gregg_in_KansasCity.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 4, 2009 17:36

Glam Descendant
>The problem with Neil is you never know what your going to get.

That must have been true back in the day but now, anyone w/access to the internet can have a clear idea of what he's up to. These people that attended, for example, a show on the GREENDALE tour and were surprised and/or disappointed simply were *not* paying attention beforehand.

Well back then I didn't have the internet and the show was billed as Neil Young & Crazy Horse. So I went expecting to hear Neil Young & Crazy Horse classics. Instead I got a @#$%& play. Still the worst piece of shit concert I've ever been to.....However the Neil show I saw in Reno at the end of last year was terrific. If I had a computer back then and saw the type of crap show he was doing I wouldn't of went. At the same time having seen the terrific setlists he has been doing recently,I gladly went this time.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 5, 2009 04:11

I think the heat generated from Neil Young's stage at Jazz Fest kept the rain away during his set.

Rain was forecast for right about the time Young was to take the stage, and sure enough,
the dark clouds started rolling in, the cool wind picked up and blew away the hot muggy air that permeated the festival grounds until then.

Young & Co. took the stage at 15:05 and blasted out a powerful set that lasted one hour and forty-five minutes. Keep in mind that the nature of Jazz Fest is to feature as any artists as possible, and time constraints are a factor in how long bands can play.
I've seen Young a few times and I would have to say that this was one of the best I have seen him perform.
I would go along with Gregg in K.C. and say this was an easy nine out of ten.
While I tend to prefer his loud rocking tunes, which there were plenty of, I have to admit the highlight of this show for me was Needle and the Damage Done. It was really touching to hear such a large audience sing along to that tune.

Young closed the show with A Day In the Life, and I was pleasantly surprised to hear that tune.
Then he proceeded to shred every string from his guitar before the final goodbyes.

When the band left the stage, Jazz Fest producer Quint Davis could only throw his hands up in the air and was literally speechless for several moments.
When Davis finally got up the nerve to speak, he went on profusely thanking Neil Young and his entire staff for coming to Jazz Fest and working with the organizers to make it all happen.

And then the rain came and the wet t-shirt contests started!

BTW, Edith Grove thinks that the producer(s) of Jazz Fest really had to do some ass-kissing to get Neil Young to play. grinning smiley

Here is the review from The Times-Picayune newspaper in New Orleans:

Neil Young rocked in the free world at Jazz Fest
by Keith Spera, Music writer, The Times-Picayune
Sunday May 03, 2009, 6:26 PM

Eliot Kamenitz / The Times-Picayune
Neil Young rocks the Acura Stage at Jazz Fest 2009.
What do Neil Young and Bon Jovi have in common?

Not much, except that within 24 hours, they both ended their Jazz Fest sets for huge Acura Stage crowds with a song recorded by The Beatles.

Jon Bon Jovi and company knocked off "Twist and Shout" on Saturday. On Sunday, Young and his band absolutely smoked "A Day in the Life," an exclamation point ending to a two hour tour de force.
Much of the massive crowd, even among the chair and blanket set far from the stage, stood as Young announced himself with a squall of feedback and "Love and Only Love." Young wrestled with his Les Paul as if trying to subdue it. He succeeded, as old masters such as he tend to.

Moreso than usual, position on the field affected perceptions of the show. The wind wreaked havoc with the remote speakers back on the field; audio waves were blown away, dampening the music's impact. Closer up, however, a full-bore Neil Young had its full impact. He and his band stomped through "Hey Hey My My" and affixed an epic ending to "Cinnamon Girl." They briefly lost their way in "Change Your Mind," but recovered.

He accompanied himself on organ and harmonica for the green themed "Mother Earth." A solo acoustic "Needle and the Damage Done" included the lines, "Every junkie's like a setting sun." "I'm not depressing you, am I?" he asked. "We don't want that. I'm just not used to seeing anything. It's always dark when I play."

Eliot Kamenitz / The Times-Picayune
Neil Young held nothing back in his closing set of the 2009 New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival presented by Shell.
A country-tinged "Heart of Gold," with Young on harmonica and acoustic guitar, preceded "Old Man" and its banjo. He switched to saloon piano for "Speakin' Out."

"Down By the River" ran for a full 18 minutes; the brawny chorus punctuated long improvisatory sections of muscular guitar heroics. As Young refused to let go, banging and pressing his Les Paul's strings, his drummer appeared to be hanging on for dear life. It finally melted away.

David Grunfeld / The Times-Picayune
Neil Young jammed with the band for 18 minutes on 'Down By the River.'
In the set's only false start, Young halted the band after someone apparently misread the set list. "That was two songs at once," Young cracked. "That was amazing."

With everyone on the same page, he bore down on his guitar's whammy bar for an epic "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World." He grinned at the other musicians before calling for a bonus chorus.

The encore of "A Day In the Life" was a monster. At the end, he sacrificed his guitar. He shook it against an amplifier, tore off the strings and dragged it across the stage. He then hustled over to a xylophone and plunked one final note to close the set. Minutes later, the gray clouds opened and a hard rain fell, clearing out much of the crowd before the Neville Brothers.

It took 40 years to get Neil Young to Jazz Fest. He was worth the wait.

Credits and links to these photos, as well as hundreds of more Jazz Fest photos, reviews & articles can be found here: [www.nola.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-05 04:45 by Edith Grove.

Date: May 5, 2009 04:28

Nice pics EG. But what did you think about the show?

Date: May 5, 2009 04:33

sweetcharmedlife
Nice pics EG. But what did you think about the show?

Copied from my post above:

Young & Co. took the stage at 15:05 and blasted out a powerful set that lasted one hour and forty-five minutes. Keep in mind that the nature of Jazz Fest is to feature as any artists as possible, and time constraints are a factor in how long bands can play.
I've seen Young a few times and I would have to say that this was one of the best I have seen him perform.
I would go along with Gregg in K.C. and say this was an easy nine out of ten.
While I tend to prefer his loud rocking tunes, which there were plenty of, I have to admit the highlight of this show for me was Needle and the Damage Done. It was really touching to hear such a large audience sing along to that tune.

Young closed the show with A Day In the Life, and I was pleasantly surprised to hear that tune.
Then he proceeded to shred every string from his guitar before the final goodbyes.

When the band left the stage, Jazz Fest producer Quint Davis could only throw his hands up in the air and was literally speechless for several moments.
When Davis finally got up the nerve to speak, he went on profusely thanking Neil Young and his entire staff for coming to Jazz Fest and working with the organizers to make it all happen.

And then the rain came and the wet t-shirt contests started!

Date: May 5, 2009 04:41

Oh ok. I wasn't sure what was your thoughts and what was cut and paste. Glad you liked the show.

Date: May 5, 2009 04:47

sweetcharmedlife
Glad you liked the show.

And the wet t-shirts were pretty cool too! smoking smiley

Date: May 5, 2009 04:56

Yesterday at Jazz Fest:

Date: May 5, 2009 05:08

Edith Grove
sweetcharmedlife
Glad you liked the show.

And the wet t-shirts were pretty cool too! smoking smiley

Got any pictures of that?spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 5, 2009 07:49

See my comments on his show at Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada just now posted here:
[www.iorr.org]

p

Date: May 5, 2009 09:51

Edith Grove
Yesterday at Jazz Fest:

yaaaaaa : ) ..... very kind of you to post that.

After Thrursdays show in KC all I want is....... more more more, and
your clip there reallly helps my jonesing......withdrawl sux ; )

I almost flew to NO, but the last minute airfare was undoable.

I am pondering a trip over the pond to see him in Europe, but
I doubt it will happen. I can only hope he comes back around,
soon after, cuz he is in the mood to do it up the way I want it.

Mr Young is a master, and when he is in the mood, he is the best,
well 2nd best to the Stones ( for me anyway ) I am giving him
2nd best performer i have ever seen all time over 1500 shows.
I am hard to please but Neil Young melts me. He goes from that sweet sound of "old man" to grunge city,,
and it rips rocka and rolls, so much fun..such a great sound feel.

btw-
I was wrong, after a week to absorb the show, it is a 10/10,
I dont know know what else I want,,, and I worry I may never see a show as good : (

Mr Young has been doing IT so long that is an expert, sure blah blah blah
all the new youngs acts are the "show of the year" but they are clueless
compared to Neil Young,, he has been there and back, and been there and then
drove it in the ditch, and been there,,and back,,and been there again.. he is a master, seems magical.

I will quote someone on another message board....
-----------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous said...
I was there, fifty feet away from Neil Young.
It was a spiritual experience — in addition to being an amazing guitarist,
the emotion that he brings to every single bar of the music keeps you in thrall
constantly. He loves his songs, still. Not like those other aging rockers who
go through their hit lists like they’re checking the clock. He’s still feeling
it, and he makes the audience feel the full range of their own feelings
It was my very favorite set of the entire weekend. Blew my mind.

Stefanie
5/04/2009 06:02:00 PM
--------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Edith Grove for the pix and video.

I am still sad that in KC it said NO CAMERAS, other wise I would have let
the tape roll for 2 1/2 hours.....oh well, maybe a/v will surface.
The KC show, and its extended jams are deserving of a live album, he
was in the mood, and it would be a waste if it just evaporated : (

the point is this thread is called "any pointers?"
I dont post here much, but I do get some good info here, so I am happy to repay.

Sometimes a concert comes, and goes, and I hear how great it was,
but I skipped it, cuz I am weary of crap...BUT when I miss
a great show I am pissed.... so I am saying...the pointer is this...

Mr Young, this time around is that show..dont miss it.

I will add,
In Europe it is easy to see a couple of shows, so see 4-6 of his, and at
least one of them will magicize you, cuz he can off nights, but in KC
we lucked into one the best shows I have ever seen. I am looking hard
for the bootlegs/video, I hope it surfaces

Date: May 5, 2009 13:55

More Neil from Jazz Fest:

Date: May 5, 2009 15:12

WOW, thank you,
It is great of you to post these videos for us.

I know how hard it is to stay steady and do this, YOU DID GREAT,
you gift us a real feel for the fest that day, those clouds are menacing.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

I really wish ALL bands would cut the crap and let us capture video,
I mean we do the work and everything. I am crushed that I could
grab and share the same type of footage from the KC show. I was right
there, and it would have been my pleasure, but they were adament NO CAMERAS
and security was even shutting down cell phones....that is too bad...BUT ANYWAY

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!,,do you have more more more? ? : )

Here is a map of the tour coming your way to lucky fans in Europe, [www.rustradio.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-05 15:16 by Gregg_in_KansasCity.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 5, 2009 17:28

Fantastic, thanks Edith Grove! great photos, thanks for all.

Posted by: loveyoulive75 ()
Date: May 5, 2009 20:49

Indeed...if you get the chance, GO SEE NEIL. The missus and I caught his show in Calgary in October and I'm inclined to say that it was probably the best, most intense concert we'd ever seen...and sadly that includes the seven Stones shows I've been to since '81. I notice he's shaken up the setlist considerably for this leg of the tour- I would have loved to have heard the "Tonight's The Night" stuff in Calgary; that's always been my favourite album of his.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: May 5, 2009 23:45

Thanks all - looking forward to June and Neil's show in Nottingham very much ;-)

Date: May 6, 2009 04:28

Hey ya'll !!

I must clarify that the pics I posted were taken by Eliot Harris Kamenitz and David Grunfeld for The Times-Picayune.
Dozens more great Jazz Fest photos, reviews & articles can be seen here: [www.nola.com]

The videos were uploaded by a Youtube poster known as "MSKonings" and yeah, he/she has a very steady hand.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1396
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home