Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: The Jam
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: September 5, 2010 17:27

Big Al
Nikolai
Anyway Al, what's your favourite Jam album? Mine's Sound Affects these days. although, frankly, they're all good except for This Is The Modern World.

Well, it's beeen Jam, Jam and more Jam on the hi-fi and i-Pod since this sublime box-set arrived in the mail. My favourite album? Definitely Setting Sons at the moment. I love that triple whammy of 'Girl On The Phone', 'Thick As Theives' and 'Private Hell'. The group seemed to be going for a more fuller and polished sound for this release and IMO, it worked a treat. Sound Affects is my second favourite: I adore 'Man In The Corner Shop' The Gift is surprisingly good, too.

The Gift is very underrated. Granted it has two dodgy songs on it - Transglobal Express (why were the vocals mixed down to a whisper?) and Planners Dream Gone Wrong's attempt at calypso just doesn't work. I think some of the songs were directly about the band, especially Running On The Spot.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: September 5, 2010 18:32

I like the Jam. Even though the Gallagher brothers are idiots, I always felt as though the Jam were the direct predecessors to Oasis. When I meet someone who likes Oasis, I give them a copy of Snap to listen to (one of the greatest greatest hits comps, IMO). The Jam I think were closer to the Kinks than any of the other Brit invasion groups (including the Who, who I think Weller idolized). (I feel the same way about Oasis, their closest "older kin" were the Kinks).
My favorite songs have got to be In The City, with its Who-like riff (plus the fact its title is derived from an Entwistle-penned 1966 b-side), The Bitterest Pill (with its Motown influences), I'm Different Now and a host of others.
BTW am I the only one that thinks Kurt Cobain may have listened to Butterfly Collector more than once? (Listen to the guitar, it sounds reminiscent of Nirvana).

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: September 5, 2010 20:23

Captain Teague
The most overrated band ever.

Nah, that would be the beetels

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 5, 2010 20:41

My favourite track from The Gift

Happy Together

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 11, 2013 04:58

OK, so I am sat here listening to the Jam and thinking: didn’t I start a thread about them, once? Oh, so I did! Anyway, I still love them and, personally, rate them as being the very best British band of the past 35 years. Weller is nothing but a legend. Have there been any more recent converts since my initial posting some four years ago?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 11, 2013 11:41

Love the Jam. A lot of Paul Weller's solo stuff has been interesting too. Not all of it but a lot of it. Think the reason he never made it big in the States is a little too English for the masses. Unfortunate that folks didn't open their ears in a big way.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 11, 2013 17:05

Loved the jam, and Paul wellers solo stuff.

Not the last 2 albums from Mr Weller , but his live gigs are great.

Jeroen

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 11, 2013 19:07

SETTING SONS is The Jam at their peak in my opinion. 'Little Boy Soldiers', from that album is one of their very best songs, but is rarely heard outside the context of that album. 'Down In The Tube Station At Midnight' stands out for me as their greatest single, as i love the various changes within its structure (and especially Foxton's bass playing). I just find it a little more complex than their typical choices for singles, although they are pretty much all great really.

Not sure if many agree with me, but i find SOUND AFFECTS a little too 'neat' sounding after the punk influence on those previous albums. Maybe SOUNDS AFFECTS finds The Jam influenced a little more by the sixties more exclusively, and especially The Beatles REVOLVER album. That is perhaps the first noticeable signs in direction that would begin to flouish more greatly on THE GIFT, and then wholeheartedly with Weller's Style Council venture, where a more mellow direction would become evident.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-11 19:09 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 12, 2013 23:23

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1630
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home