Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT(somewhat)- Personal favorite supergroups of the last few years
Posted by: clarkemf ()
Date: April 22, 2009 04:08

It's only an opinion... but i think the John Mayer trio is the best supergroup of the past few years at least. The lineup of Mayer, a stellar guitarist/vocalist/songwriter, combined with Steve Jordan formally the drummer of Keith Richards' solo excursions, and Pino Palladino, current bassist for a little band called The Who is just a trio of limitless talent. I cant wait for their upcoming album

Re: OT(somewhat)- Personal favorite supergroups of the last few years
Posted by: Muppet HiFi ()
Date: April 22, 2009 04:14

first time i heard Mayer was on a PBS broadcast of a gig; i instantly recognised Jordan and his sound, couldn't figure out why he was playing with such a dullard. sorry, i don't like that kind of music.

Posted by: Muppet HiFi ()
Date: April 22, 2009 04:15

Carbon/Silicon is my fave recent "supergroup" or whatever.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 22, 2009 04:24

Chickenfoot

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: April 22, 2009 07:07

Pino and Steve Jordan make a hell of a rhythm section, but that mildly talented, publicity hound frontman who used to bang various semi-famous actresses should take his mugging and soulless, dime-a-dozen wanking elsewhere!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 22, 2009 09:04

Huh?confused smiley Supergroups of the last few years? is this a joke?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 22, 2009 15:13

sweetcharmedlife
Chickenfoot

Now why do I know this name??

Date: April 22, 2009 15:14

I can only come up with a few that I even know of: Audioslave and Velvet Revolver. The show supergroup might have been an interesting line-up but Sebastian Bach has obviously not changed any.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 22, 2009 17:11

Audioslave.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: April 22, 2009 17:26

baxlap
Pino and Steve Jordan make a hell of a rhythm section, but that mildly talented, publicity hound frontman who used to bang various semi-famous actresses should take his mugging and soulless, dime-a-dozen wanking elsewhere!

Exactly. I'm not buying his attempt to reimagine himself as a guitar hero/rocker/blues guitarist. He's a pretty boy who got famous for his looks and excrutiatingly bad songs like "Your Body Is A Wonderland." @#$%& John Mayer.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 22, 2009 17:29

caught the mayer trio opening for lesh & friends a few years ago - was highly impressed. good call, clark....

Date: April 22, 2009 17:38

VoodooLounge13
I can only come up with a few that I even know of: Audioslave and Velvet Revolver. The show supergroup might have been an interesting line-up but Sebastian Bach has obviously not changed any.

Yeah SB is a tool....Chikenfoot is the new group Sammy Hagar is putting together with Joe Satriani,Michael Anthony and Chad Smith.

Date: April 22, 2009 17:41

That's it! I knew I'd heard of it! Thanks SCL

Date: April 22, 2009 19:20

seriously to bash mayer b/c of his celeb relationships and slower songs is just wrong. The guy tears it up on guitar and vocals, and if you dont believe me listen to the album Try. I consider Your Body is a Wonderland to be akin to Clapton's You look Wonderful, and although theyre both sappy, yet good-at-the-right time songs, that doesnt mean Mayer cant tear it up onstage about as well as EC himself can. And I think Clapton would agree, he loves Mayer's playing

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 22, 2009 19:32

Mayer seems to be one of those guys you love to hate because you see he has real talent but only displays it in brief bursts, yet his airplay is abundant in sappy songs with an annoying vocal style. Kind of like Keith Urban.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 22, 2009 19:55

this is just my opinion but i feel 99% of music released in the past decade is pure crap even by bands and artists we have loved for decades. it seems to me that even the kids are starting to realise this i think . look how popular games like rockband and guitar hero have become.the recording industry is killing itself with over polished music, the loudness war, and protools studio recordings.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 22, 2009 20:24

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: April 22, 2009 20:34

I think Mayer is a talented guitarist but I think he's trying too hard to win over the ignorant young people that have never heard of Stevie Ray Vaughan. I mean, Mayer is very SRV-esque with his guitar playing and even his singing. Young people will think he's out of this world while the older folks realize that he's just an SRV clone.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 22, 2009 20:42

@#$%&
I think Mayer is a talented guitarist but I think he's trying too hard to win over the ignorant young people that have never heard of Stevie Ray Vaughan. I mean, Mayer is very SRV-esque with his guitar playing and even his singing. Young people will think he's out of this world while the older folks realize that he's just an SRV clone.
accurate description,as far as the previous post compareing him to clapton,put the pipe down and exhale because the fumes are killing your brain.

Date: April 22, 2009 20:47

The Greek
@#$%&
accurate description,as far as the previous post compareing him to clapton,put the pipe down and exhale because the fumes are killing your brain.

Right and the song he's referring to is actually called Wonderful Tonight and blows away Mayer's sappy crap.

Date: April 22, 2009 21:03

clarkemf
...if you dont believe me listen to the album Try.

No.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: April 23, 2009 03:30

The list of supergroups begins with The Travelin Wilburys.

Date: April 23, 2009 03:37

Say what you want about Mayer not comparing to guys like SRV and Clapton, but it's really a tough argument when Clapton himself is so supportive of Mayer... why hate on him so much? They seem to have a fairly mutual respect for each other, but maybe some of you out there in internetland are better than Mayer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2093
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home