Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Carol
Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: November 10, 2010 00:08

carol off ya yas is awesome!

Posted by: glimmertwin50 ()
Date: November 10, 2010 00:25

When I learned this song years ago I learned it off of Ya Ya's because it had such a good groove and the guitar licks sounded great - right amount of distortion through the Ampeg.

Date: October 26, 2018 14:34

[youtu.be]

Ok,I had to pull it out after mentioning it to Dandy next door somewhere. There are a few unexplained sounds on Stones songs (another is the hi screaming at beginning of 'Child of the Moon').
It happens after the last Chuck Berry double stops when the beat comes back in. It just sounds dead like a happy Trombone player dropped in for a minute. I recall back in the day here no one could figure that one out. Obviously it must be a guitar, but still..
3:12 is where it is.

I realize I am listening w/computer speakers. Could hardly make it out. That may have something to do with why I can't hear Dandy's synth on 'Shattered'.

PPS - another good part about going through Rene's tracklist is I see many old warriors: StonesTod, Whitem8

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 26, 2018 15:08

Sounds like the mic fuzzes out.

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: October 26, 2018 23:53

Always thought the Stones did a great job with the Berry tunes. They hit it harder than Berry. Around and Around is my favorite. That one just builds as the song goes along. Carol has a great guitar break by Keith. He does all the fills as well. Brian just chugs along on rhythm guitar hitting it harder than the original. Bill sneaks in a quick break. Charlie keeps a steady beat. Mick does a good job on the vocals. Love those early covers. Showcased Brian and Keith's guitar playing. Those two made sure they roughed up every song.

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: December 25, 2022 12:50

Hairball
I think the Ya Ya's live version is quite sluggish and sloppy.
Not too bad, but I'll take the Chuck original any day.

I've always thought that the two Berry songs from Ya Ya's are the weakest things on there (Rock without the Roll!). My favourite version of 'Carol' is from Paris 1965, see below at around 8:49...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-25 12:50 by Congratulations.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 25, 2022 13:59

Bye Bye Johnny , 1972, is better

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 26, 2022 06:31

The beauty of the GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! Chuck Berry versions is their sludge. They hump along. It's not all up, it's a good drag, a good bit draggy. A bit sleazy. The songs have hips, flow, not all rigid and tight. They're classics in their own right.

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: December 26, 2022 10:32

GasLightStreet
The beauty of the GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! Chuck Berry versions is their sludge. They hump along. It's not all up, it's a good drag, a good bit draggy. A bit sleazy. The songs have hips, flow, not all rigid and tight. They're classics in their own right.

It seemed fashionable to perform rock 'n' roll songs this way at the tail end of the '60s/start of the '70s (check out Plastic Ono Band's version of 'Money' from Toronto for another prime example). I hated it myself. I'm glad that the RS upped the tempo for later performances of Chuck Berry songs ('Bye Bye Johnny' in '72, 'Little Queenie' in '73, 'Around and Around' in '77...).

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2062
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home