Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones Archive Release of Live Recordings? Would you really want them?
Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: April 21, 2009 07:37

Thanks for the info about the Bigger Bang credits and what they refer to.

I continue to wish for a release of the complete '72 and '73 tours, completely unedited. It's not expected, but would be wonderful if it happened. If composites were done, I expect we'd get what is already available in excellent quality (L&G or Philadelphia performances for '72 and Brussels, London 9/9 and Rotterdam BS for '73).

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 21, 2009 07:43

Keith overdubbed guitar on Circus 25 years later? That is LAME.

LAME!

Posted by: Muppet HiFi ()
Date: April 21, 2009 08:24

re: Keef overdubbing 'Rock n' Roll Circus' parts.

Where does this info come from? Granted, his lead on Sympathy For the Devil isn't as freaked out and the Tone's a bit bland, but it appears, from the video, that it's all perfectly in sync (I know- players actually overdub while watching the film, but I still have my doubts about this gig).

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 21, 2009 15:39

Smokey
Thanks for the info about the Bigger Bang credits and what they refer to.

I continue to wish for a release of the complete '72 and '73 tours, completely unedited. It's not expected, but would be wonderful if it happened. If composites were done, I expect we'd get what is already available in excellent quality (L&G or Philadelphia performances for '72 and Brussels, London 9/9 and Rotterdam BS for '73).

Always room for upgrades of what is available.

In the latest issue of Uncut, theres a glowing review of a Grateful Dead release from their 3 night run of shows at the Winterland in San Francisco in November 1973 (I'm not a Dead fan but I get the impression this was a pretty acclaimed run of shows as far as their fans are concerned). The release covers NINE discs.

Granted, the Dead and the Stones are two very different types of entities, and the Dead were a band that are primarily noted for their live releases more than their studio output, plus theres other factors to be considered namely that they played very diverse setlists and they're not really a functioning band anymore since Garcia died (OK, I know they still occasionally tour as 'The Dead') - but, considering the fact that the Stones all but cease to exist for a couple of years between tours, isnt it really a missed opportunity for them not to make the effort to dip into their archives and throw us a bone once in a while?

Imagine a similar multi disc run of Stones shows - the four MSG shows in 1972, the four London shows in 1973, the six MSG shows in 1975. Even later multi-night stands such as MSG Jan 1998, Buenos Aires 1998.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 22, 2009 15:59

skipstone
Keith overdubbed guitar on Circus 25 years later? That is LAME.

LAME!

Agreed. Seriously, I think there ought to be a statute of limitations on overdubs. Maybe a year. After that, after you've worked on other music, after you've been influenced by other music that you've heard in the time since you originally recorded the music that you are now "fixing", you are no longer the same person, you're no longer in the same place, musically speaking. After a while, an impersonator, someone from a tribute band, would sound more the way you used to sound than you do, and while I'd rather have Keith himself do overdubs 25 years later than have a Keith soundalike do them 25 days later, the best alternative, if you're going to release vintage live tracks at all, is to just put them out "as is", without ANY overdubs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-22 16:53 by tatters.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 22, 2009 18:30

i wonder if the stones even held on to those live recordings , they may of thrown out the tapes or even erased them to use for something else

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 22, 2009 18:48

As a fan, yes.
As a lover of great music, yes.
As a faithful practiser of Completism, ABSOLUTELY!!

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: April 22, 2009 18:50

HELL YES!

Posted by: Flashy999 ()
Date: April 22, 2009 18:57

yes, i really would like to get some great unreleased stuff but the problem is: the stones never released any live material without overdubs on guitars and vocals .. so then for me .. it is useless i hate overdubs in imax and all other dvd's or Blondie playing backstage the parts for keith when he has his bad moments ...

Flashy

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 22, 2009 22:04

gazza:

and were even happy to have guitar technicians do overdubs on the Biggest Bang DVD

say whaaaa???

pls elaborate and give a link if u can

the plexi

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 23, 2009 00:56

timbernardis
gazza:

and were even happy to have guitar technicians do overdubs on the Biggest Bang DVD

say whaaaa???

pls elaborate and give a link if u can

the plexi

Gazza did already.Have a look into the booklet,disc four page.
On the right side you got the credits.In the middle :

"Additional Recordings by
Pierre de Beauport
Dave Rouze"
...whatever that means,but I fear it means what it says.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 23, 2009 03:10

bassplayer617
Does anyone here seriously think that Mick gives a rats-as% about the legacy of recordings that have been bootlegged and released over and over again? He is a businessman, and not as filled with self-importance as some fans would like to believe.

For example, look at the famous Charlie Rose interview from 2002. What did Mick prefer to discuss? His film career! This is a man who deals with the here and now, and has no desire to dredge up past glories.

I find it interesting that Mick Jagger "deals with the here and now" but yet for a man who does not live in the past, at least half (to be conservative here) of tunes featured at a typical Stones show consists of worn out warhorses....

Date: April 23, 2009 06:07

Yeah, Mick's slagging of the Beach Boys. Well, that's all he does it seems is dwell on the past ancient songs instead of the new songs like the Beach Boys now. Probably why the Bridges tour is loved by so many - they were still playing new songs.

Licks - yeah, I get that one.

But for Bang? INEXCUSABLE. Play the new record goddammit.

Date: April 23, 2009 14:56

Flashy999
yes, i really would like to get some great unreleased stuff but the problem is: the stones never released any live material without overdubs on guitars and vocals ..

I stand to be corrected if anyone has info to the contrary, but I got the impression that both 'Stripped' and 'Shine a Light' remained 'untouched'

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 23, 2009 15:55

Sighunt
bassplayer617
Does anyone here seriously think that Mick gives a rats-as% about the legacy of recordings that have been bootlegged and released over and over again? He is a businessman, and not as filled with self-importance as some fans would like to believe.

For example, look at the famous Charlie Rose interview from 2002. What did Mick prefer to discuss? His film career! This is a man who deals with the here and now, and has no desire to dredge up past glories.

I find it interesting that Mick Jagger "deals with the here and now" but yet for a man who does not live in the past, at least half (to be conservative here) of tunes featured at a typical Stones show consists of worn out warhorses....

Even when Mick is performing all the old songs, he is still performing them in the here and now. It's LIVE, it's happening NOW. He always does them a little differently than they've been done before, and I really don't think he feels like he's living in the past when he does them. He probably just feels that he's following show biz rules, and I think he considers it to be a completely different thing than to be in the studio, endlessly tinkering with the master tapes of some of those very same songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-23 15:58 by tatters.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 23, 2009 15:56

I'd be happy to buy live recordings in official form. The Deep Purple boxes were a great example. They even used the bootleggers artwork. Good for them.

Date: April 23, 2009 17:35

There was someone saying that Black Limo was touched up but if you listen on headphones you can't hear ANY guitar bleedthrough like you can on Licks and LYL etc...plus they were really on their game for that leg of the tour.

Certainly SAL had touch ups. But if that is true they did a shitty job of it ha ha.

Posted by: Flashy999 ()
Date: April 23, 2009 17:46

Dear Gazza

so u like to see keith doin'his thing in SAL, holding his guitar just for fun, and see of all people Blondie play the human riff's hey man i get so sad, sad, sad

and STRIPPED well i was so lucky to be at 3 out of 4 concerts used for stripped and for sure they did remix and dubb a lot of vocals and more ...

and about Mick who lives here and right now .. thats one of the reasons the new remastered cd's dont have any extra songs or whatever he doesn care to release any old stuff

keep on rockin' all .... Flashy

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 24, 2009 12:47

I was listening to the 72 7CD set the other night and these would require a lot of work really. At one point Mick says do you want old songs or new and you can hear OLD. So even then the cash cows were evolving in to war horses.

Every thing live is bootlegged, audience recordings or downloads so you can get the majority of what you want and the missing things (like El Mocambo) might not be as good as you wish.

Date: April 24, 2009 13:57

Flashy999
Dear Gazza

so u like to see keith doin'his thing in SAL, holding his guitar just for fun, and see of all people Blondie play the human riff's hey man i get so sad, sad, sad

where did I say that?

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: April 24, 2009 14:52

Gazza
Flashy999
Dear Gazza

where did I say that?

Anyway, it is Dear MR Gazza!

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: April 24, 2009 15:10

Even Jellyfish, San Franciscan neo hippies, great band IMHO, produced only 2 regular studio LP's and had this released in 2002: Fan Club (4 CD compilation of rarities) (2002) .

I mean; 2 REGULAR albums!! All we get from Jagger and Co. is a shitty rarities without any..well...rarities.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1494
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home