Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Moon Is Yellow, I'm Like Jello
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: April 10, 2009 04:13

You know, I'm just sayin'.

No, seriously, that has to be the worst lyric Jagger has ever written. He's written many brilliant ones but that one is so bad. Hey, nobody can get it right 100% of the time, and I still like that song.

But are there any lyrics Jagger's written that are worse? Two lines only. The entirety of Streest of Love is much, much worse, but I maintain that no two lines from even that song suck as much as the infamous yellow/jello couplet.

Re: The Moon Is Yellow, I'm Like Jello
Posted by: notyouagain.ohno ()
Date: April 10, 2009 04:25

Has anybody seen StonesTod and/or T&A? I seem to be trapped in some sort of alternate universe I can't get out of.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 10, 2009 05:24

Make it stop...Please God. It's Holy week...MAKE IT STOP!!!!angry smileyyawning smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: April 10, 2009 05:45

worst lyric or hardest song the stones have written in a generation, choose your side!?

OLDKR

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 10, 2009 06:06

For me, I think one of the worst lyrics is from Anybody Seen My baby:
after he says:
"She was more than beautiful
Closer to etherial" the Line:
"With a kind of down to earth flavor" just really sounds bad to me.

Posted by: Muppet HiFi ()
Date: April 10, 2009 06:16

re: Oh No Not You Again- in my onion, great song, great lyric, those two lines are rock n' roll:

"...starin' down your tits."

Remember, peeps- the Stones are a Rock n' Roll band (a REAL rock n' roll band at that). Not William Blake fronting the NY Philharmonic (not that I wouldn't dig that line up, just sayin...)

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: April 10, 2009 07:59

That couplet's pretty bad when taken out of context. But, as noted earlier, treating it as a stand alone ignores the next line, "starin' down your tits," which completes the thought and renders it less heinous. An upclose and personal view of certain cleavage has most definitely reduced many a man, myself included, to Jello! Otherwise, Oh No Not You Again rocks like a Some Girls outtake.

Jagger has written many awful lyrics over the last few albums. Anybody Seen My Baby and Streets of Love are cringe-worthy from start to finish. Is there a lousier chorus than "Hey, hey, you got me rockin'?" That bit in Brand New Car about the oil smelling like caviar is pretty embarrassing too. I could go on, but why?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-10 08:31 by baxlap.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: April 10, 2009 08:40

What is jello

Date: April 10, 2009 08:46

squishy geletine, made from cow bone marrow.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: April 10, 2009 10:54

"sharks will cry" does it for me

Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: April 10, 2009 11:00

I think that the above mention ASMB line is brilliant; great delivery too.

Josh.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: April 10, 2009 11:07

Still, I think that Streets Of Love lyrics are worse.

The awful truth is really sad
I must admit the lyrics are awful bad

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 10, 2009 16:53

There's bombers in my basement
and it's giving me the shits

Hmmm... I'm detecting a lot from A Bigger Bang in this thread.
My Biggest Complaint on the album - Jagger phoned it in lyrically and in creating the melodies (overtop uninspiring song structures).

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 10, 2009 17:10

"Holy" week has nothing to do with it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 10, 2009 17:14

Muppet HiFi
re: Oh No Not You Again- in my onion, great song, great lyric, those two lines are rock n' roll:

Remember, peeps- the Stones are a Rock n' Roll band (a REAL rock n' roll band at that). Not William Blake fronting the NY Philharmonic (not that I wouldn't dig that line up, just sayin...)

Opinions may differ on how 'rock n roll' they still are. Musically - yes, but in other ways, definitely not.

They may still be playing rock n roll, but lyrics like that written by a man in his 60's are simply cringeworthy.

Date: April 10, 2009 17:38

That is bad - but not as bad as SOL and certainly way more funny.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 10, 2009 17:56

.......yeah..but then he turns right around on the same record and comes up with this gem........You call yourself a Christian; I think that you're a hypocrite; You say you are a patriot; I think that you're a crock of shit

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: April 10, 2009 17:57

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken!

...now thats a good one. smiling smiley

Posted by: R ()
Date: April 10, 2009 19:02

ohnonotyouagain
You know, I'm just sayin'.

No, seriously, that has to be the worst lyric Jagger has ever written. He's written many brilliant ones but that one is so bad. Hey, nobody can get it right 100% of the time, and I still like that song.

But are there any lyrics Jagger's written that are worse? Two lines only. The entirety of Streest of Love is much, much worse, but I maintain that no two lines from even that song suck as much as the infamous yellow/jello couplet.

It's only rock and roll. If you don't like it listen to Leonard Cohen or something.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: April 11, 2009 00:12

I love you, dirty f*cker
Sister and a brother
Moaning in the moonlight
Singing for your supper
'Cos I had it I had it I had it with you
I had it I had it I had it with you

Embarrassing.

Date: April 11, 2009 03:43

Gazza
Muppet HiFi

Opinions may differ on how 'rock n roll' they still are. Musically - yes, but in other ways, definitely not.

They may still be playing rock n roll, but lyrics like that written by a man in his 60's are simply cringeworthy.
I disagree, Gazza.

"Brevity is the essence of wit". And while not terribly witty, the couplet does give a sense of how a 60-some year old guy might veiw his romantic/erotic situation and chances.

"the moon is yellow..."- any reference to the moon in pop music history is going to be loaded with import: mystery, the possability of romance, sadness, imagination, a sense of wonder.

"I'm like jello..."- as men age, the erotic imagination tends to increase (as sexual abilty/virility tends to DEcrease); vulnerability to emotional need/desire tends to do battle with the purely sexual. What is the essence of "jello"? instability, fluctuation, indesicisiveness, mushiness/softness.
I say it's an apt, and funny, metaphor.

"starin' down your tits..."- pure primal sexual curiosity/desire. Old men get horny too, and though our physical condition is often gentled, our immaginations usually do just the opposite ("Old men should be adventurers").

Part of Jaggers gift is that he is able to mesh the desires, confusions, ironies, and mystery of so many different (mostly male) age groups, with a universally wry wink, laugh, and sigh.

Date: April 11, 2009 06:08

I actually think 'The moon is yellow, I'm like jello, starin' down your tits' is pretty accurate AND funny at the same time. Who doesn't get moved by a great set of tits? They can reduce any man to jello. Or whatever other else.

Remove the image of Jagger and put it with, well, a younger Jagger - like was pointed out, Some Girls, or someone else younger and none of you would be saying that.

Posted by: buz ()
Date: April 11, 2009 14:50

I hear it with the line before it to mean that mick is making fun of others that come up with such crap. "Everybody's talking, showing off their wit, The moon is yellow," Anybody else hear it that way?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 11, 2009 17:21

buz
I hear it with the line before it to mean that mick is making fun of others that come up with such crap. "Everybody's talking, showing off their wit, The moon is yellow," Anybody else hear it that way?

interesting... but like who? It seems a little strange for him to start dissing other writers 40 years into the game, and to bury that opinion in a song like this. But it could be.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 11, 2009 17:30

Muppet HiFi
Gazza
Muppet HiFi

I disagree, Gazza.

"Brevity is the essence of wit". And while not terribly witty, the couplet does give a sense of how a 60-some year old guy might veiw his romantic/erotic situation and chances.

"the moon is yellow..."- any reference to the moon in pop music history is going to be loaded with import: mystery, the possability of romance, sadness, imagination, a sense of wonder.

"I'm like jello..."- as men age, the erotic imagination tends to increase (as sexual abilty/virility tends to DEcrease); vulnerability to emotional need/desire tends to do battle with the purely sexual. What is the essence of "jello"? instability, fluctuation, indesicisiveness, mushiness/softness.

"starin' down your tits..."- pure primal sexual curiosity/desire. Old men get horny too, and though our physical condition is often gentled, our immaginations usually do just the opposite ("Old men should be adventurers").

Part of Jaggers gift is that he is able to mesh the desires, confusions, ironies, and mystery of so many different (mostly male) age groups, with a universally wry wink, laugh, and sigh.

You obviously spent several minutes analysing that couplet (and you did so pretty well even if I dont agree with all of it).

However, how long do you think Jagger took to compose it. Ten seconds? I doubt he was being as analytical as you were. He was probably just searching for something that rhymed.

Date: April 11, 2009 18:04

Mick had to hurry to finish lyrics - they worked so fast, they had to get it DONE. PRESSURE PRESSURE PRESSURE. NEW ALBUM. Hell, he had to because Keith might lose an idea...since they don't seem to come around like they used to...

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: April 11, 2009 21:48

Gazza
Muppet HiFi
Gazza
Muppet HiFi

I disagree, Gazza.

You obviously spent several minutes analysing that couplet (and you did so pretty well even if I dont agree with all of it).

However, how long do you think Jagger took to compose it. Ten seconds? I doubt he was being as analytical as you were. He was probably just searching for something that rhymed.

Gazza's right. I've often suspected Mick of just fitting in any old word that rhymed. An example:

I got my money, my ticket
All that shit
I even got myself
A little shaving kit confused smiley

Date: April 12, 2009 00:18

Gazza
Muppet HiFi
Gazza
Muppet HiFi

I disagree, Gazza.

Well, yeah, your view is also probably accurate; that's the other side of the coin- throwaway lines to suit the sometimes throwaway (or off-hand, or loose, casual) feel of much of their (recent) music, particularily the faster rockers.

It seems to me that what Jagger excels at, lyrically, is (and always has been, when you think about it), what certain guys from a certain era would call "jive".
Jagger's come up with some great lines, very beautiful sometimes, and very poetic.
But poetry is vast and multi-faceted; it can encompass the mundane, dull-witted, simple-minded as well as -oh, say William Butler Yeats.
I'm not trying to say that many (if any) Jagger lyrics could be called "poetry" (more accurately probably "doggerel"); just that , combined with their musical ethos, and cultural sort of raison detre`, I believe Jagger's sometimes has a poetic approach to, what I like to call "jive".

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 12, 2009 00:30

"When you call my name I salivate like a Pavlov's dog"

Not exactly as good as a Hendrix or Dylan song...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 12, 2009 04:46

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1604
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home