Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Is Jagger the most underrated songwriter ?
Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 10, 2009 23:42

VoodooLounge13
cc
baxlap
From a head full of snow to a head full of sh-t, basically.

"Moonlight Mile" should close the case for mick's greatness as a writer--even if the guitar line owes something to taylor.

he definitely got simpler, but through the 70s and maybe the 80s he usually had the knack for the right phrase. Since then it's just been bits of wit.

OMG how could I possibly forget Moonlight Mile!?!? Or Hand of Fate?!!

well, as much as I like the song, I think it's actually not too far a leap from "Hand of Fate" to something like "Oh No Not You Again." You can hear him looking for rhymes in "HoF" just like he does now. He just comes up with better results. Some of the phrases are pretty cliched, kind of milking the "Midnight Rambler"/"Tumbling Dice" theme... but there's also a quality of free association that makes me think keith wrote some of the lines of "Hof."

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 11, 2009 01:15

I think that maybe a lot of the classic rockers who are still around today are influenced a little too much by the CRAP being produced by the younger generation of artists. They need to go back to their roots, and put on earplugs, stop trying to be " hip" and don't listen to their own kids' music! If Mick could write songs like " Jigsaw Puzzle" ( yes, influence by Dylan) and " No Expectations" he sure can do it again! I've said it before, but a great many of todays' artists that put out such garbage and are rewarded by going to the top of the Billboard charts, IMO do not belong there! Kelly Clarkson is the perfect example...." My Life Would SUCK Without You"....give me a break! TRASH!

Posted by: charlie62 ()
Date: April 11, 2009 01:51

Let's talk sense. Mick has kept this band together. I am a Keith man, but let's be honest. What I want is The Stones to show they are a great band not a big band. They have done all that and it doesn't impress anymore.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 11, 2009 03:06

Charlie, what do you mean by " big band"? Big in what sense? Is there a greater band in terms of success?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 11, 2009 04:39

I can only assume Charlie means that they're more driven by ego - ie, how much revenue they can generate, how many tickets they can sell, how big a spectacle they can create - than by any sense of artistic vision.

In which case, he's right. Ok, so they can still make a shitload of money but that doesnt really MEAN anything, and doesnt make their music or concerts sound better.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 11, 2009 05:21

it also doesn't have much to do with mick jagger's songwriting, as far as I can tell...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 11, 2009 05:42

Well Keith is the one who says he doesn't give a shit if they ever have another #1 anything.

And I think I understand what he means by that. He's been very open about some of their recent tunes saying that in 15 years or so that they will sink in, which is obvious to me that he's not interested in the Big Hook because he's already DONE THAT. He's not interested in hits, and maybe in a way their record sales/radio play reflects that - and I'm not sure where that lines up with being a songwriter because all you have to do is, well, I'm not gonna go there, but even the lamest recent Stones tune is better than 75% of what's on the radio these days. And I do know that THAT is saying a lot considering Streets Of Love and, what, what is it, Sweet Neo Con. Hand Of Fate - HOF, ha ha, what is with this HoF? It's HOF! - is better by a quite a few miles than either of those, as well as Saint Of Me or Always Suffering or...blah blah blah...

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: April 12, 2009 21:54

Hi everybody's

You're all wrong !thumbs down
Something you should know about the perception of the words of the songs of the Rolling STONES,
i don't talk about their music, music is the same thing for every one, but i think that the approach of the meaning of one song is different
when you're talkin' the shakespeare's language, and when you came from the Moliere's Country!
The sonority of some words are very different if you're a french people!
French is not a Rock'n'roll lanquage, the words don't stick with the music!
Definively , the language for rock'n'roll is in english
and i think that when you came from England you couldn't understand this point of view !
If you try to listen to Jacques BREL, you couldn't understand the meanings of his words as well as us, but you could find a strange feelin' that, french people don't have when hearin'it!
What do you think of the "Con le mie lacrime" version of "As tears go by"
as english people?
In France, we have the culture of the words, and what Sway means, is that
Jagger should have been rated as others like Dylan for the meanings of some of these songs !

HMNwinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-12 22:16 by Honestman.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 12, 2009 22:34

mickschix
Elunsi, that's the truth! Keith is the guy who constantly has praise and credit heaped upon him and it is usually not warranted or deserved!! Mick gets the crap, Keith gets the credit so let's do something to correct that!! LOL!

I do agree with you .
The following web site with Jagger & Richards quotes as songwriters is one of my favorite.

Mick)'s got a bit of Shakespeare in him, no doubt about it. We've had fun arguments, writing songs. I would say, I think this should be an instrumental, and meanwhile, he'd written an opera... To me, writings songs is like making love: You need two to write a song. I've known Mick 40 years, longer than I've known anybody except my parents.

- Keith Richards, 1989

don't think people really know or care that much about what really goes on. I don't think people care about the mechanics of songwriting, particularly. So they think, Oh, well, Mick must write all the lyrics, and Keith writes all the tunes, which might have been true 30 years ago, but it really isn't true now. But that doesn't worry me very much. Keith might be underappreciated as a lyric writer. I don't think it worries him.

- Mick Jagger, 1995

The last quote is really interesting for our discussion ,isn"t it ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 12, 2009 23:01

Honestman
The sonority of some words are very different if you're a french people!
French is not a Rock'n'roll lanquage, the words don't stick with the music!
Definively , the language for rock'n'roll is in english

HMNwinking smiley
I also do agree with this part of your post ,Honestman.
In the 80's ,we had in France some greats rock'n'roll bands .I saw some of them live.They sounded great.

BUT I always thought the French were less able than Britons & Americans to create rock'n' roll. The explanation frequently offered by French musicians and rock ' n'roll 's fans is that there is indeed a cultural limitation in France which is called :the phonetic structure of the French language .

First of all, and with all the modesty my poor english allows it ,I think the lyrics always in English involve double meanings .
It could be very constructive to hear on this thread what non english speakers have to say.winking smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1278
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home