Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT re ANDY WARHOL ART ONE OF YOU OWNS
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 6, 2009 06:53

A couple of years ago we were discussing Warhol portraits of Jagger.
One of you, a New Yorker, mentioned a Warhol he owned and loved and even kindly invited me to come see next time I am in NY

I've misplaced your name but if you see this I believe I may have come across another Warhol you'd like to know about. That may be a bargain.

Re: OT re ANDY WARHOL ART ONE OF YOU OWNS
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 6, 2009 07:02

I have one of each (in jpeg format only...)

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 6, 2009 15:19

Some of these are really great!! Gotta love Warhol's work!

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: April 6, 2009 18:36

stonesrule
A couple of years ago we were discussing Warhol portraits of Jagger.
One of you, a New Yorker, mentioned a Warhol he owned and loved and even kindly invited me to come see next time I am in NY

I've misplaced your name but if you see this I believe I may have come across another Warhol you'd like to know about. That may be a bargain.

I'M HERE...#140 is what i have...3rd from the left with the green/pink.....which one did you see for sale?

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 6, 2009 19:57

Could someone please tell me the going price for this piece? I could jump off a cliff right now because in 1986 I could have purchased several of these from a NYC Greenwich Village art dealer for $2400!!!!! I did not because at that time, that was considered a lot of cash ....talk about hind sight!! I would have taken out a LOAN and bought 6 had I known!

Date: April 6, 2009 23:45

Ringstns, I was hoping I could pull off a real coup for you. But, as I've just investigated, it is not to be.

HERE'S THE STORY....I was half watching NBC local news here in LA last night and suddenly I immediately spotted a Warhol "Jagger" in the background of an interview with a local pawnbroker who was showing off very expensive jewelry.
I tracked him down a few minutes ago, and the Warhol "Jagger" has been sold several days ago, probably right after they filmed him.

I pinned him down. He sold it for $25,000. It is most similar to the third one, top row in Schillid's "collection" but it is possible that the one I saw on TV was slightly different. The coloration is the same but ...
This pawn broker character has a Warhol Jane Fonda for $20,000.

Mickschix, do not torture yourself. I could have had some of these images when Andy did them but I seldom ask or presume. (I must get over that especially when it comes to art).

Sorry to get your hopes up. I tend to feel 25 grand is an okay price. What do you think Ringstns?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 6, 2009 23:52

I will give you a great deal on the Jpegs.

Date: April 7, 2009 00:50

I know, Stonesrule, I try to put it behind me but I will tell you that if I ever do come into a bit of money, I WILL buy one, or two!! The $25,000 seems to be the current going rate. I've priced several of late, all around that price.

Date: April 7, 2009 00:58

Re the 25 grand, that's what I figured. Also thought that 15,000 cash in hand would have taken it away from the pawn broker.

Enjoyed looking at those jpegs!

But the one I want is not in there...and I still have hope I'll have one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-07 00:59 by stonesrule.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: April 7, 2009 01:10

I ALMOST bought one in the Village for around $6,000 - thought it was a lot - too much I thought .... that was BEFORE Andy Died. Anybody have a time machine????

Date: April 7, 2009 01:12

I bought some very cool knock-offs on Ebay of several of the Warhol's and I had them professionally framed and they look awesome on my walls. The three that I have are obviously miniature versions, 2 face forward poses and one with Mick looking ahead, slightly from the side. It's the best I can do for now.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 7, 2009 01:16

This is a coincidence. Last week I was talking to a friend of mine who was telling me he had the chance to buy a set of Rolling Stones Warhols before Warhol died. He couldn't decide if he should spend the money and decided not to. He's more of a Beatles fan.

He's just found out how much they would be worth and is kicking himself now of course. I don't remember the exact amount he mentioned, but i remember thinking it was a lot more than $25K.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: April 7, 2009 01:25

Absolutely CindyC, if you are talking a full set especially of matched numbers $250k should be a quick sale. There must be so few full sets available especially that have been well kept and aren't damaged.

Personally I have the poor mans version, the Mick Jagger 88 Japanese Concert poster,,,, As a music / concert fan I actually like the gig info. The poster is actually a copy of one of the prints and has a Warhol and Jagger signature included in the print (as well as the giant red Jagger signature).

The artwork was also used for the tour passes etc... (very cool).

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 7, 2009 01:28

Matt - who cares if it's not an original - it still looks pretty damn cool.

Date: April 7, 2009 01:33

I really only collect original stuff as that is the stuff that for me has the emotion. However this is an original gig poster that just happens to use the Warhol art. So it is original in its own category :-). It is on really nice textured paper too!

Date: April 7, 2009 03:56

Great poster!

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: April 7, 2009 04:45

For all of you art fans, if you like Andy Warhol you might also like works by Leonard Baskin, especially his Native American series. I wish I could post some here but am too technologically backward to figure out how to do it.

It's powerful stuff - worth Googling "Leonard Baskin Native American"

Rooster in particular will love this guy...

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 7, 2009 06:51

Matt, that is a fantastic Japanese concert poster! I like that shot the best of the lot, I think.

Date: April 7, 2009 16:29

Well, Cindy, I would imagine there are thousands of Stones/ Jagger fans who could kick themselves into tomorrow for not buying these prints 25 years ago! I was never a Warhol fan but I did like these prints, except the ones where Mick's face has a streak of black running through it. Some of the side poses are not too impressive but I'd take one if offered!! The ones face-forward are worth a bit more, at least to me....but I doubt I'll ever have to worry about which I like best because unless I hit the Irish Sweepstakes, I'll not be buying any.

Date: April 7, 2009 17:36

stonesrule
Ringstns, I was hoping I could pull off a real coup for you. But, as I've just investigated, it is not to be.

HERE'S THE STORY....I was half watching NBC local news here in LA last night and suddenly I immediately spotted a Warhol "Jagger" in the background of an interview with a local pawnbroker who was showing off very expensive jewelry.
I tracked him down a few minutes ago, and the Warhol "Jagger" has been sold several days ago, probably right after they filmed him.

I pinned him down. He sold it for $25,000. It is most similar to the third one, top row in Schillid's "collection" but it is possible that the one I saw on TV was slightly different. The coloration is the same but ...
This pawn broker character has a Warhol Jane Fonda for $20,000.

Mickschix, do not torture yourself. I could have had some of these images when Andy did them but I seldom ask or presume. (I must get over that especially when it comes to art).

Sorry to get your hopes up. I tend to feel 25 grand is an okay price. What do you think Ringstns?

hey stonesrule....the average price for one of these in MINT condition (or as close to that as possible) runs about 70K....that's the one i have....top row #3....that 70K is todays price...these were going for 20-25K about 7 years ago....a good place to price these are martin lawrence galleries...they are located all over the usa.....they usually have a decent supply as well...most definitely my prized posession..never gets boring viewing this piece of art...there are a total of 10 mick jaggers by warhol....10 originals of which there are 250 prints of each...of which there are about 5 or 6 of each in mint condition...25K is a steal if the condition is great

Date: April 7, 2009 19:35

Illuminating Ringstns...for many reasons.
If I had the dough and the piece had a solid provenance and was in pristine condition 70K does not seem unfair.

While it's wonderful when art increases in value to me art that you love becomes part of your own identity. You wake up in the morning, glimpse this or that piece and you still love it and you know where you are...at home. (Maybe I need a shrink?)

In the 70's Andy used to write personal notes to celebrities he did not know and got right to the point. Send a check for $40,000 and we'll hook up and you'll have one of my works of art. I was a little taken aback when a friend showed me such a note but in retrospect it doesn't seem too tacky.

I look forward to having a long talk with you about Andy's work hopefully over a glass of champagne.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: April 7, 2009 20:48

Signed by the man himself!!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 8, 2009 01:52

>there are a total of 10 mick jaggers by warhol

There are 10 in that series but he also did a commissioned portrait (at least two variations) and of course a variety of things for LYL.

You can see one of the commissioned portraits here:

[www.artquotes.net]

Edited to add: you can see that the portrait is not done in the same style as the prior series shown above, which were done for print purposes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-08 01:55 by Glam Descendant.

Date: April 8, 2009 02:07

Here is some of the promo stuff for LYL (I have also posted this in the rarities thread). Can someone post a picture of the table cloth / poster and the display? I have never photographed them and they are somewhere in a mountain of tubes and flat packs :-(

Here you can see the promo bag, photos, wind up teeth and sticker set:

Alas the autographs on these promo photos are not period but were collected by me over the last 8 years...still a great set.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 8, 2009 06:38

Awesome Matt, thanks for sharing! You can really tell in that photo it's a child (Jade's) hand Mick is biting.

Date: April 8, 2009 20:46

stonesrule
Illuminating Ringstns...for many reasons.
If I had the dough and the piece had a solid provenance and was in pristine condition 70K does not seem unfair.

While it's wonderful when art increases in value to me art that you love becomes part of your own identity. You wake up in the morning, glimpse this or that piece and you still love it and you know where you are...at home. (Maybe I need a shrink?)

In the 70's Andy used to write personal notes to celebrities he did not know and got right to the point. Send a check for $40,000 and we'll hook up and you'll have one of my works of art. I was a little taken aback when a friend showed me such a note but in retrospect it doesn't seem too tacky.

I look forward to having a long talk with you about Andy's work hopefully over a glass of champagne.

Sounds great stonesrule....did not know that about the check for 40k thing...very interesting...let me know, and i'll get out the bubbly

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: April 9, 2009 01:44

I saw one of the original Andy Warhol prints in a gallery in San Fransico about four years ago. They asked about 20k. Was that a good price? should I have bought it?

Date: April 9, 2009 03:53

You should have bought one for each of us then!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1331
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home