Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T David Byrne,Bridgewater Hall,Manchester,Monday 30th March 2009
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: March 31, 2009 08:00

Hello,

David Byrne/Talking Heads isn't one of the bands or artists that I know too much about outside of my greatest hits grab-bag of a CD,so I went along to sometimes slightly too-reserved,but still lovely Bridgewater Hall with an open mind,or to put it another way,no expectations.

The only slight concern that I had was that the music might be awkward and experimental in nature,as if someone had forgotten to pack the tunes,and that the delivery or performance might suffer from being too clinical.

What do I know?

Not too much,based on DB and band's top,top efforts!What an engaging and likeable character Byrne is-really relaxed and keen to make the audience enjoy his music,which was made up of his two albums wih Eno and of course a bunch of Talking Heads numbers.

Last night's show was the only time that I've ever seen the whole of that audience up on it's good foot,dancing,singing,clapping and generally in happy abandon.DB,you're a genius of sorts!When it came time to quit,this audience wouldn't let the band away that easily and the ovations were bloody loud,and deserved.

An honourable mention goes to his fairly young band and backing singers-cum-dancers:their energy was infectious:they really worked hard at making their choreographed moves a delight to see-wow!

Safe to say that I was blown away by this two-hour show,and have no hesitation in recommnending DB as a live act.If you get the chance,ah you know the drill!

And yes,the band were wearing tutus for the final encore.
Ah come on,it's David Byrne,y'know?

Cheers,

Si.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-31 14:48 by SimonN.

Re: David Byrne,Bridgewater Hall,Manchester,Monday 30th March 2009
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 31, 2009 08:30

Thanks for sharing. You sound like someone who needs to see STOP MAKING SENSE! That movie should leave no doubt what a tremendous performer Byrne is.

Re: O/T David Byrne,Bridgewater Hall,Manchester,Monday 30th March 2009
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 31, 2009 10:12

great stuff Matey - thanks as always for some terrific photos.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 31, 2009 12:22

Simon, please look at the other D.Byrne topic on this site.

I went sunday night and had a fantastic time, obviously due to say i dare say it 'war horses' being played but we have been waiting a long time to hear some of these songs played.

I am tempted to go to oxford or nottingham to catch him again, but holidays might stop me. But as you say worth definatly going if you can.

Posted by: llargueras ()
Date: March 31, 2009 13:41

Thank for pics!!
Do you have the setlist? In September when he begun the tour, he played more than 50% Talking Heads songs

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: March 31, 2009 13:55

I just bought my tickets for the show in Zurich in two weeks. I have always liked the Talking Heads, and after reading all the positive commends here I decided to go and see him. Looking forward.

sjouke

Posted by: folon ()
Date: March 31, 2009 14:17

Hi sjouke,

I have seen David in Frankfurt two weeks ago and it was GREAT! You won't regret it!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 31, 2009 14:31

Sjouke
I just bought my tickets for the show in Zurich in two weeks. I have always liked the Talking Heads, and after reading all the positive commends here I decided to go and see him. Looking forward.

sjouke

sjouke,

I am still on a high from sundays concert, absolutely brilliant.>grinning smiley<

Posted by: KeithDaMan ()
Date: March 31, 2009 15:17

A few weeks ago DB was in Belgium and I went with the same 'no expectations' as SimonN but was overwhelmed with the performance. Great songs, nice dance moves, great music and a very friendly David Byrne.

Started listening to his new cd and, apart from some Stones in between :-), didn't stop listening as of yet.

If you can go, higly recommended!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1395
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home