Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones first drug experiences
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 31, 2009 03:45

Rockman
'round the back of the school bog suckin' on Coke & Aspros ..........

I remember reading an article where Brian Wilson talked about visiting the stones in 65 at the RCA studios in Hollywood and said that Mick Jagger told him he took five aspirins and was drinking a coke. He said it gave him a buzz and he was slurring his words. Wilson said "they were making some great music though"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-31 03:48 by ryanpow.

Posted by: oldbarbarian78 ()
Date: March 31, 2009 04:57

@#$%&
The great Gene Krupa was busted for pot in 1943. I wonder if that was the first bust of a famous musician...

Actually, I read that Louis Armstrong was busted for weed in 1931.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 31, 2009 05:02

Robert Mitchum late 40's......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: oldbarbarian78 ()
Date: March 31, 2009 05:14

Weed is so benign and commonplace now, I can't understand why it was so villified back in the day. Particularly when such a large % of the pop. smoked cigs.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 31, 2009 05:35

Honestman
Mathijs

22 grams? A day? A month? 22 grams of pure heroin is enough to kill a dozen healthy men....

According to Andrew Oldham they all started with weed in '65, coke, uppers and downers in '66, and acid in '67. Heroin started in '69 for Keith.

Mathijs

I can't remember in which book or magazine, i've read that Keith was abble to take
2,2 g by day !
I think that it's in the infamous Tony PARKER's Book "Up and Down with the RS" that it's written.

HMN

Well that would be Tony Sanchez. Tony Parker is a basketball player for the San Antonio Spurs....and I'm Pretty sure he has never done any drugs with Keith Richards.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 31, 2009 12:23

Check out "La Vie en Rose" - a film based on the life of Edith Piaf.
Very good, Oscar award I recall for the lead role.
She died in 1963 (aged about 45) and hard drugs feature throughout.
Makes Keith's life look more like Sunday School stuff.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 31, 2009 12:27

sweetcharmedlife
Honestman
Mathijs

22 grams? A day? A month? 22 grams of pure heroin is enough to kill a dozen healthy men....

According to Andrew Oldham they all started with weed in '65, coke, uppers and downers in '66, and acid in '67. Heroin started in '69 for Keith.

Mathijs

I can't remember in which book or magazine, i've read that Keith was abble to take
2,2 g by day !
I think that it's in the infamous Tony PARKER's Book "Up and Down with the RS" that it's written.

HMN

Well that would be Tony Sanchez. Tony Parker is a basketball player for the San Antonio Spurs....and I'm Pretty sure he has never done any drugs with Keith Richards.eye rolling smiley

And Tony Parker is married with Eva....winking smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 31, 2009 18:27

with sssoul
Dick Taylor's talked some about he and Keith experimenting with drugs at Sidcup -
over-the-counter pep pills and period pills and so on.

period pills? confused smiley

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 31, 2009 21:15

Koen
with sssoul
Dick Taylor's talked some about he and Keith experimenting with drugs at Sidcup -
over-the-counter pep pills and period pills and so on.

period pills? confused smiley

You know, for those days when they were feeling not so fresh

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 31, 2009 21:59

In the book about Mick titled Heart of Stone its says.. "In 1965 Jagger would start off with the occasional joint but by the spring he was a heavy dope smoker. He would later gravitate to harder stuff, although he never became an addict. At first he tried to hide his indulgence from Shrimpton..."

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 1, 2009 16:28

Do you remember the first time somebody handed you a joint?

Vaguely. I think I was turned on the first time by some black guys in a band. The Vibrations, maybe? I can't remember now. But they'd arrive every day for the gig - and sometimes there was two or three shows a day - and they were always so put together and smooth. And we were, like, nineteen years old and barely draggin' our asses around. So we asked them: "How the hell do you do it, man?" And the answer was: "You take one of these, and you smoke a little bit of this." And you got the recipe, you know? And backstage it was all secret - in those days, you didn't bruit it about. It was backstage shit. And you kind of felt privileged about being in on a secret.

(Keith, interviewed by Rolling Stone in May 2007)

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 1, 2009 17:38

Their mums might have given them a baby aspirin or something.
Also, I assume that their mums took 'em to the doctor when they were little...

Date: April 1, 2009 18:50

I think Keith and some of the others were turned on as much by what they saw as a bit of a secret society as anything.
He probably didn't know (and why should he -at 19?)that in the world of show biz. dope and heavier stuff had been around for most of the 20th.century.Add in the well heeled and upper classes and no doubt a few politicians as well.
I wonder if The Stones ever dreamt how mainstream it would all become, within a few years.
As Marianne would say in 1967 somewhat disparingly "God you even get motor mechanics holidaying in Majorca, now".
How very awful.

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: April 1, 2009 19:53

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed

Ol'Red Eyes is back. Mick certainly looks like he's partook of some "reggae-refreshment".

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: April 1, 2009 20:05

oldbarbarian78
@#$%&
The great Gene Krupa was busted for pot in 1943. I wonder if that was the first bust of a famous musician...

The date of '31 cannot be correct as Marijuana was legal in the U.S. until 1937. Armstrong was a celebrity who was very well known to partake in "Muggles" during the 20's and 30's though

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 1, 2009 20:08

lettingitbleed
oldbarbarian78
@#$%&

The date of '31 cannot be correct as Marijuana was legal in the U.S. until 1937. Armstrong was a celebrity who was very well known to partake in "Muggles" during the 20's and 30's though

Legal in every single state???

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: April 1, 2009 20:17

Baboon Bro
lettingitbleed
oldbarbarian78
@#$%&

Legal in every single state???

Yes, Baboon! It really was perfectly legal in all parts of the U.S. until that time. Just as LSD was legal until 1965..or was it 1966? And Ecstacy was legal until sometime in the late 80's..

There is a GREAT, very informative film about the criminalization of the herb and it's history in the US. It is called "Grass". It is available on DVD..came out a couple of years ago and nariated by Woody Harilson...I "highly" recommend it!

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: April 1, 2009 20:59

I think the 2.2 grams a day figure refers to cocaine rather than heroin.

The 22 grams of heroin was a large amount even for someone as addicted as Keith, which is why the Mounties at first tried to slap a trafficking charge on him. About a month's supply I would guess.

Of course, when you're a rich junkie you support the habits of the not-so-rich junkies around you, and Anita of course had a huge habit too, so it goes quick. I believe Keith scored the stash after he arrived in Canada. You can picture him saying "A whole ounce? OK, why not?"

For his part, Louis Armstrong apparently smoked weed every day of his adult life. Buddy Rich too.

Date: April 1, 2009 22:35

I wonder then if weed changed his vocal style -you always KNEW it was Louis, as soon as he started "singing".

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: April 3, 2009 05:43

Zack
For his part, Louis Armstrong apparently smoked weed every day of his adult life.

Crazy man, crazy. I believe it, jazz and marijuana sort of go hand in hand, but there's nothing about any weed smoking in his Wikipedia entry: [en.wikipedia.org]

I think you should modify it. Then school children everywhere could cite it in book reports refuting the arguement that "only losers use drugs."

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: April 4, 2009 19:40

jlowe
Mick's flirtations with drugs are intersting. Like the others (well, most of them) he seems to have tried most substances except Class A type.
Why do you think Jagger made an exception for Class A. Last time I looked cocaine qualifies as a Class A drug and Jagger was a heavy user for many years.

jlowe
However, by the time he met Bianca and became a tax exile he put all that behind him. With the exception of grass and coke from time to time (the latter in his NY period).

Oh yeah, it's widely known that the band moving to the south of France coincided with Jagger quitting drugs... You're joking, right ?

Jagger has openly admitted the whole band (including himself) plus everyone in their vicinity was pretty much out of their heads while recording Exile (Bianca would often stay at home, she didn't like to come along to Nellcote much as she didn't get on very well with Anita). Read this excerpt from the 1993 interview with Jann Wenner, published in Rolling Stone.
Jagger Remembers

WENNER:What was the atmosphere recording “Exile”?
JAGGER:Well, “Exile on Main Street” was done in different pieces. There’s this part which is recorded at Olympic [Studios], maybe a third. Another part is recorded in my house in the country in England. And half of it’s recorded in Keith’s basement in the South of France, and it’s all mixed in L.A.

WENNER:What was the band like at that time?
JAGGER: Stoned is the word that might describe it. [Laughs] It’s the first album Mick Taylor’s on, really. So it’s different than previous albums, which had Brian on them – or Brian not on them, as the case may be. It was a difficult period, because we had all these lawsuits going with [business manager] Allen Klein. We had to leave England because of tax problems. We had no money and went to live in the South of France – the first album we made where we weren’t based in England, thus the title.

WENNER:Was the band at its drug zenith at that time?
JAGGER:Yeah.

WENNER:What was the mood? What was the vibe around?
JAGGER:Just winging it. Staying up all night.

WENNER:Keith was a full-scale junkie at that point?
JAGGER:Totally.

WENNER:And everybody else?
JAGGER: Stoned on something; one thing or another. So I don’t think it was particularly pleasant I didn’t have a very good time. It was this communal thing where you don’t know whether you’re recording or living or having dinner; you don’t know when you’re gonna play, when you’re gonna sing – very difficult. Too many hangers-on.
I went with the flow, and the album got made. These things have a certain energy, and there’s a certain flow to it, and it got impossible. Everyone was so out of it. And the engineers, the producers – all the people that were supposed to be organized – were more disorganized than anybody.

WENNER:So it was a classic of that era, when that was a common approach to things.
JAGGER:Absolutely. But the previous ones were easier to make.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-04 20:01 by Lightnin'.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1314
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home