Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Golden Earring
Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: March 19, 2009 05:57

What ever happened to Golden Earring? I don't hear them at all on the radio.

Re: OT: Golden Earring
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 19, 2009 08:38

I saw them in the mid 70's, I thought they were great live.
Found this, don't know if it happened.

March 2009 Golden Earring will do two gigs in the UK for the first time in thirty years, with one concert on 14 March 2009 at The Shepherd's Bush Empire in London and one show at Ipswich Regent Theatre on March 13, 2009.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 19, 2009 09:38

They still play every now and then.
Greatest Dutch band ever I think..being around since about'64.Not bad at all!!

Posted by: kees ()
Date: March 19, 2009 09:54

Now and than? They are still touring for most of the year.....

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: March 19, 2009 13:07

I love them. Great Dutch band. And, yes, they are still touring a lot.

I remember, some years before my neighbour from the apartment above, every night at 02:30 when he came home, like a clockwork, pumped up the volume of his stereo as far as could go, and shook the house with a drumming Radar Love. Well, because it was this song he chose, I could'nt be angry with him.

And then, I saw them once, at the infamous 2nd Scheeßel Open Air. In early September 1977 damage to the worth of millions occurred at the “First Rider Open Air” at Scheeßel (to the south of Hamburg/ Germany), which was originally planned to last three days and billboarded to feature world famous bands like Steppenwolf, Ray Manzarek and many more. When the organizer couldn’t or didn't want to pay the bands, most of them bands didn’t even show up there. The organizer then buzzed off with the cash and by the night the (unpaid) Hells Angels security guards and angry music fans went wild and began to riot, burning down the stage, plundering the food and beverage stands and containers and infested also the village of Scheeßel. The festival had begun at fair whether with Long tall Ernie and the Shakers, Van der Graaf Generator (Hi Holland!) and Colosseum II, and ended with Golden Earring. Myself I was basically having a good time and hadn’t noticed too much about all the trouble aside from that most of the announced bands were apparently not going to play. When Golden Earring started somebody told me “come on, the hells angels are gone, the stage is open”, and I went up on the stage with a group of people and we stood round the band in a semi-cicrle, feeling rather cool and enjoying the gig from that unusual angel. After Radar Love (!) the band left, leaving all their equipment, and I left the stage as well. Being back down in the crowd again I saw the stage going up in flames. Later I was told that people had taken guitars and all kind of equipment with them, aand that when the handful of local police tried to have a look at the place, they were treated with a shower of beer cans that they retreated and never returned. Those were the days. Anybody else happened to be there?

Posted by: Mr.Ed ()
Date: March 19, 2009 13:36

I saw them once during one of their Naked Truth (Unplugged) tours in Groningen.

Look here for there Naked Truth performance of Twilight Zone:

The story goes that the Stones had listened to The Naked Truth (Unplugged) CD of The Golden Earing before the Paradiso shows of 95 for some inspiration how to play songs in an acoustic setting.

Gr, Mr.Ed

Posted by: Mr.Ed ()
Date: March 19, 2009 13:42

When Bill left the Stones I won a VHS tape of the Naked Truth with a contest at Radio 3 by the VARA. The Earring was a guest at that show and you could fax a question to the band. My question was if Mick already phoned Rinus Gerritsen (bassplayer) if he would replace Bill at the Stones. Unfortunatly I never heard his answer but I won this VHS tape, which I can't play anymore because my VHS player broke down...... Have to look for the DVD now then......

Mr. Ed

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: March 19, 2009 13:47

"TO THE HILT" is an EXCELLENT album, totally rocks !!!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 19, 2009 13:56

Golden Earring and Shocking Blue are the only 2 Dutch bands i'm
familiar with, and they're both good.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 19, 2009 17:22

Here's an old clip to show what these boys were capable of, some 30 odd years ago.
They're still good live nowadays. Played at Pinkpop last year.
If they were not Dutch, but English, I guess they would have made
it big, and I mean real BIG!

Posted by: palmkeith ()
Date: March 19, 2009 21:50

Saw them at the Shepherds bush empire last saturday. The gig was nice. Golden earring style. One thing is for sure the boys can play. Maybe they build up their hit Radar love a bit too much, but the song is still great..THey got quite a good reaction from the crowd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-19 21:51 by palmkeith.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 19, 2009 23:01

ARE YOU RECEIVING ME????

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: March 20, 2009 00:14

IN THE TWILIGHT ZONE?

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: March 20, 2009 11:54

My first rock concert ever, in Arnhem, somewhere around 1980 at age 13. We were FOS and got cigs from one of the roadies and I'll never forget the way he crushed the ones he accidentally dropped to the ground with his feet.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: March 20, 2009 14:48

Golden Earring supporting Flip the Switch!

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: March 20, 2009 17:37

Adrian-L
Golden Earring and Shocking Blue are the only 2 Dutch bands i'm
familiar with, and they're both good.

and not to forget the late Herman Brood

saw him once in the end 70s

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 20, 2009 23:28

gimme_shelter

Golden Earring supporting Flip the Switch!

hahaha! Fantastic! I didn't even know there were posters of that gig.

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 21, 2009 13:25

Btw, needless to say, we blew them away.

Mathijs

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 21, 2009 18:32

I remember that the Earing ones blew a way The Who, somewhere in the early seventies

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home