Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

tribute bands
Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: March 13, 2009 01:41

anybody know anything about this lot, they are playing the Ruby Lounge Manchester on 28 march
[www.21stcenturystones.co.uk]

Re: tribute bands
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: March 13, 2009 03:33

No, but my sister hired Rocks Off to play her wedding this summer!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 13, 2009 10:51

adotulipson
anybody know anything about this lot, they are playing the Ruby Lounge Manchester on 28 march

Looks like Jagger has got titties?

Posted by: Mr.Ed ()
Date: March 13, 2009 11:32

I think the BS version in their promo sucks!!!!!!!!!
And trying to look like The Stones is also really stupid.
A good tribute band is one that plays with the same musical feeling and groove as The Stones did in their top years.
I have only seen on tribute band that came close to that feeling, Flip The Switch from The Netherlands
Hey Flippies, when will there be a reunion gig or tour?

WATCH them playing not Fade Away at the famous Kurhaus in The Hague in 2004 during the 40th anniversary of the first Stones performance in the Netherlands in 1964.

Greetings Mr.Ed

Posted by: GNAT ()
Date: March 13, 2009 14:12

The "ronnie" is playing a Squire.....lame assx100000000000001/2.

Also, why is Hyde Park era "Jagger" with 1981 era "Keith"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-13 14:14 by GNAT.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 13, 2009 14:24

I don't see how one is any worse than the other... though the look of one is more 'over the top'. We 'dressed' up in 1994-1995 when we were called Torn & Frayed. Wouldnt catch me dead doing it now... but hey. Don't knock one act to build up another one. That's poor taste. They're both 'tribute bands', they're both on the same playing field.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 13, 2009 21:37

Mr.Ed

WATCH them playing not Fade Away at the famous Kurhaus in The Hague in 2004 during the 40th anniversary of the first Stones performance in the Netherlands in 1964.

Is that Mathijs playing the harmonica!?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 13, 2009 22:11

LOL

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 13, 2009 22:12

Back in '93 my "real" band at the time played some shows as Steel Wheels, the premise being only 80's Stones songs (actually did Emotional Rescue and that got the biggest response usually). We did try to dress and look the part and, to my dismay, our friend Dave, who was Jagger, showed up for one gig feeling immensely proud 'cos he had nailed Mick's wardrobe. I didn't have the heart to tell him it was the '78 tour wardrobe he nailed ( rolled up plastic pants, flat cap, etc. ).

Best compliment we got though was "man, you guys did not get the look but you definitely got the sound".

Posted by: palmkeith ()
Date: March 13, 2009 22:54

I still think the Stolling Rones come closest. The singer has the most Jagger-like voice of all cover bands and they have real energy in the way they are playing, even though they play too fast at some times.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: March 14, 2009 00:58

I currently play in a Stones tribute. We don't try to look like them simply because that would look ridicilous! We don't try to copy their playing either, just the feel and groove of the songs. We have fun playing great music! That's all there is to it!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 14, 2009 01:04

Milwaukee's SHATTERED plays 4/10 at Shank Hall in Milwaukee...with a WHO tribute band.
(They don't try to look like them either)
[www.shankhall.com]

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-14 01:05 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 14, 2009 01:26

I like these idiots:

Date: March 14, 2009 21:09

I don't know any of the above but 3 different acts have come to my area in the past 12 months.
Hollywood Stones were the best (I've seen them twice) and the singer probably looks better than Mick. They used to be called Sticky Fingers but an east coast US band had that name already, so. Jumping Jack Flash is also quite good. The guy does the Brian look during the 1st half and changes into Ronnie's look for the 2nd. The Mick character acts a bit over the top though. http://www.jjflash.biz/
The 3rd one I saw one yr ago and they are called Satisfaction, I believe. I was busy talking to people and didn't pay close attn. But they were pretty good and young-ish.
Btw, I heard there is a gal who does a very good Tina Turner.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: March 14, 2009 21:27

Is there more video from Flip The Switch at the Kurhaus Mr.Ed? Would love to see more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-14 21:27 by barbabang.

Date: March 15, 2009 00:24

His Majesty
Is that Mathijs playing the harmonica!?

Yep, he is.

Mr.Ed

Date: March 15, 2009 00:25

barbabang
Is there more video from Flip The Switch at the Kurhaus Mr.Ed? Would love to see more.

Probably, but not on Youtube (as far as I did some good searching).

Mr.Ed

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: March 15, 2009 01:07

As mentioned in other threads I've got a tribute-band, and it's coming along fine, I think! This post is from our very first gig, and we've never played Satisfaction together before, but here it is again:

By the way: Beeing the Rolling Stones is not our goal!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: March 29, 2009 01:53

adotulipson
I have just come home , from this gig and very enjoyable and entertaining it was too.
Not musically that close or even visualy close but the crowd were pretty enthusiastic and as for sheer entertainment, they hit the nail right on.
I went with a guy from work, as I can't go anywhere unacompanied since I damaged my legs years ago, so for the same reason I don't drink alchohol either, he enjoyed it very much and so did I.
You can't go to a Stones tribute band gig unless you have a sense of humour, and I don't think you can play in one without one either.
There was just enogh music and tounge in cheek parody to make it work

Posted by: NWSooner ()
Date: March 29, 2009 03:35

I think there is video somewhere of Flip the Switch doing Crazy Mamma and doing it very well....I'll try to find it.

I've seen these guys once and it just so happens that I am seeing them again tomorrow night in Peor1a Arizona @ Skye Club. I think they are pretty good as long as one understands a very important point "IT'S A TRIBUTE BAND" ! ! !

[www.rollingstoneshow.com]

Nope I was wrong the band doing crazy mamma was called Stoned From Hungary, here is the link if your interested....

Rock On....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-29 04:05 by NWSooner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1559
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home