Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Questions for Bill German
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 13, 2009 15:24

....the book is a nice quick easy read. I enjoyed it. Do I look at the Stones differently? No. Do I have sympathy for German...to a degree....was he in a little over his head....yeah......but overall what he accomplished is pretty amazing.....and for those of us growing up in NYC in the late 70's and 80's it was a great walk down memory lane......thanks Bill.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 13, 2009 15:41

hbwriter...per your request, i sent you an email to get interview info. no response (yet).

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 16, 2009 18:14

Re: Questions for Bill German new
Posted by: Wanton Witch of the Côte ()
Date: March 11, 2009 06:12

On an aside, Chris, I've seen your writings in the Automobile Club magazines.
What are the chances of you getting a write-up on the Stones there? Perhaps you could pitch them a story on outdoor music fests...from the classic music one in Ojai to Coachella. If that doesn't work, then songs that mention vehicles.

----

WW--an interesting premise smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 16, 2009 18:22

i just finished reading the book and enjoyed it a lot .a must read for STONES fans .well worth the twenty five bucks .bill german tells it like it is (aaron neville). does not blow smoke up there fannies . a fans fan . GREAT BOOK

Date: March 17, 2009 04:28

FYI, I interviewed Bill today for about an hour--thoroughly enjoyed our time-he's smart, funny and an exceptional storyteller--and I read the book once more and enjoyed it even more--no excuse for a Stones fan not to run out and buy this.I was impressed with his sense of humor and simply what an interesting scenario he created for himself--and he did this all by himself.

Anyway, I'll post the interview within the week--

Date: March 17, 2009 05:09

hbwriter
--and he did this all by himself.

That is kind of the bottom line for me when it comes to BillG.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 17, 2009 15:42

Look forward to the interview, hb. Thanks.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 17, 2009 16:31

does the book shed any appreciable light on the band's music? if it's just about his adventures with the lads, then i have a good excuse to not read it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-17 16:32 by T&A.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: March 17, 2009 16:34

[www.barnesandnoble.com]

This review is hilarious...

JR

Date: March 17, 2009 18:37

i loved the cartoon

Date: March 17, 2009 19:23

T&A, in answer to your question - no, Bill German doesn't really go into the music. Its his story or rather the story of his fanzine and where it took him. He hung around outside the studio when the band was mixing EMOTIONAL RESCUE and had the likes of Ian Stewart provide him with track listings. He had the pleasure of Mick playing him an advance copy of UNDERCOVER at Mick's house, but he wasn't present at the sessions. He sat in on a couple of jam sessions with Keith and Woody with Bobby Womack and Don Covay during the DIRTY WORK sessions, but was not allowed access during the main album sessions. He listened to an advance copy of MAIN OFFENDER when Keith brought it to the studio where Ronnie was rehearsing for his 1992 solo tour. That's about it. Probably the biggest misconception about the book (which has given more than one critic an excuse to make snide remarks comparing German disfavorably to Stanley Booth) is the belief that German wrote a book about the Stones. This isn't a history of the band so much as a history of a Stones fanzine and the interaction he had with the band and their entourage from roughly 1981 through 1995. That said, I didn't really see anything noteworthy about music in Ronnie's recent autobiography either.

Date: March 17, 2009 19:43

T&A
does the book shed any appreciable light on the band's music? if it's just about his adventures with the lads, then i have a good excuse to not read it.[/quote) in the book keith and ronnie are talking about about changes to the setlist where they wanted to play songs off the new albums but were shotdown by you know who and his infatuation with the warhorses(89-present).also very insightful about how you know who and how it became all about milking the cash(the fans)cow and forget about GROWING music wise and making great music .which mick taylor says was starting to dry up the well of inspiration .you know who and his devil (cohl) cohort ONLY care about how much CASH they can squeeze from us which is okay but how about the PRODUCT?

Date: March 17, 2009 20:29

Rocky Dijon
T&A, in answer to your question - no, Bill German doesn't really go into the music. Its his story or rather the story of his fanzine and where it took him. He hung around outside the studio when the band was mixing EMOTIONAL RESCUE and had the likes of Ian Stewart provide him with track listings. He had the pleasure of Mick playing him an advance copy of UNDERCOVER at Mick's house, but he wasn't present at the sessions. He sat in on a couple of jam sessions with Keith and Woody with Bobby Womack and Don Covay during the DIRTY WORK sessions, but was not allowed access during the main album sessions. He listened to an advance copy of MAIN OFFENDER when Keith brought it to the studio where Ronnie was rehearsing for his 1992 solo tour. That's about it. Probably the biggest misconception about the book (which has given more than one critic an excuse to make snide remarks comparing German disfavorably to Stanley Booth) is the belief that German wrote a book about the Stones. This isn't a history of the band so much as a history of a Stones fanzine and the interaction he had with the band and their entourage from roughly 1981 through 1995. That said, I didn't really see anything noteworthy about music in Ronnie's recent autobiography either.

right. i passed on that book, too...

Date: March 17, 2009 20:47

for a book to "shed any appreciable light on the band's music" I'd say it'd have to be written by someone making the music. This is not a book about music analysis or theory or critical appreciation--read the freaking title--it's this guy's story, which is, in my opinion, more unique than anyone else's who has hung with the band. No, we don't get Stanley Booth writing about Stanley Booth--you get Bill German writing about his life experiences within the bubble, honestly, passionately and with a sense of humor.

but if you do find any book that "sheds any appreciable light on the band's music" do let us know, huh?

Date: March 17, 2009 21:00

hbwriter
for a book to "shed any appreciable light on the band's music" I'd say it'd have to be written by someone making the music.

since when? i assume you're kidding. most of the best books i've read on music and musicians were not written by musicians...

Date: March 17, 2009 21:14

TA--I respectfully disagree--and this is strictly a matter of opinion--to truly shed light on music, I rely less on writers/critics and more on the artists--case in point Dylan's Chronicles, Petty's autobiography, Janis Ian's auto, Clapton's--there are others--and this is sort of away from the point--the title of Bill's book - "Under Their Thumb - How a Nice Boy from Brooklyn Got Mixed Up with The Rolling Stones (and Lived to Tell About It)" seems pretty clear that it's not setting out to shed light on the music so to dismiss it for not doing that seems harsh.

if you would--list the three books that you feel best shed light on the Stone's music

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-17 21:17 by hbwriter.

Date: March 17, 2009 21:19

hbwriter
TA--I respectfully disagree--and this is strictly a matter of opinion--to truly shed light on music, I rely less on writers/critics and more on the artists--case in point Dylan's Chronicles, Petty's autobiography, Janis Ian's auto, Clapton's--there are others--and this is sort of away from the point--the title of Bill's book - "Under Their Thumb - How a Nice Boy from Brooklyn Got Mixed Up with The Rolling Stones (and Lived to Tell About It)" seems pretty clear that it's not setting out to shed light on the music so to dismiss it for not doing that seems harsh.

harsh? i was merely asking a question for clarification. i'm not interested in any more books about the stones unless that add to my knowledge on the music-side of things. something wrong with that?

the best "music" books on the stones and many others i've read, be it on miles, ellington, dylan, coltrane...the list goes on and on were almost unvaryingly written by music scholars, who generally have a better way of analyzing than those who made the music. and, they are generally much better writers, cos that's what they do for a living. so, we just agree to disagree here....

Date: March 17, 2009 21:25

harsh? i was merely asking a question for clarification. i'm not interested in any more books about the stones unless that add to my knowledge on the music-side of things. something wrong with that?
---
--absolutely not--if I read it wrong, my bad--i've just never seen a more linear book title in my life than Bill's smiling smiley Also, Bill doesn't represent himself as a "music scholar" so again, the question/expectation threw me off

--
the best "music" books on the stones ...were almost unvaryingly written by music scholars, who generally have a better way of analyzing than those who made the music. and, they are generally much better writers, cos that's what they do for a living. so, we just agree to disagree here....

--that's cool, I hear you, but I'm curious, what three Stones books do you feel get that job done?

Date: March 17, 2009 21:30

i'm not sure there are that many, actually - dalton's book is the only one i've read that i think could be one written from the perspective of a scholar...and that one was written a long time ago. time for someone to step to the plate....any takers out there?

Date: March 17, 2009 21:37

After thinking about all of the Stones books I've owned, I would have to conclude the answer is no.

Date: March 17, 2009 21:38

Rocky Dijon
After thinking about all of the Stones books I've owned, I would have to conclude the answer is no.

what's the question to which no is the answer, rocky?

Date: March 17, 2009 21:39

--Dalton's is just basically a Rolling Stones clip job, right? Reprints of reviews, interviews, etc. (if it's the two I'm thinking of)

So if that's the take of a "scholar" well, maybe you should check out Bill's book smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-17 21:42 by hbwriter.

Date: March 17, 2009 21:42

Well, yes but THE FIRST TWENTY YEARS also has the one guaranteed feature of all David Dalton books - frank discussions of the subject's bisexuality. I jest (sort of). David Dalton is a very good writer and I've owned quite a few of his books over the years.

Date: March 17, 2009 21:45

no...he's a well-respected rock scholar...

Date: March 17, 2009 21:47

I like Dalton--I'm just not sure he's "written" a definitive, scholarly Stones book--he's edited a couple, but that's totally different

Date: March 17, 2009 21:59

the book that i read wasn't just an edit job. but, i agree nobody has written a definitive, career-spanning book on the stones' music. so, i'm left to just listen and learn the "fun" way....

my general point that is getting lost here: music scholars have a way of whetting the appetite for a reader/listener. books i've read on ellington, miles, coltrane...just to name a handful of examples...have prompted me to explore some of their works that i would not have otherwise...and, at least in the case of miles and ellington - when i read their bios, i didn't get that excited to listen after reading.

doesn't always work that way - the book, "Shakey" (on Neil) caused me to stop listening to Neil for a few months. horribly written, imo....

Date: March 21, 2009 20:24

any Floridians? My chat with Bill German will air on WTMY (1280 am) in Sarasota--sunday night at 8pm

then available for download starting monday--i'll post a link

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 23, 2009 19:47

hbwriter

if you would--list the three books that you feel best shed light on the Stone's music

I think you struggle to find any books that shed much light on the Stones music, their creative process etc.
The Roy Carr Illustrated Record Books and The Rough Guide RS Book are o.k. up to a point, but they are hardly music critiques in the way some books on The Fab4 and Dylan are.
I think that The Stones have (unfortunately) been overtaken by their celebrity status - I guess you could exclude Charlie. Their various life styles, busts, marriages/affairs/addcitions are all the stuff of tabloid journalism and I would assume that most publishers would expect any writer to emphasis this in any work they are giving an advance to.
Keith's book may shed some light- but he is not prone to go into analytical mode in interviews. In fact Im not sure he thinks R and R warrants it.

Date: March 23, 2009 19:53

jlowe
hbwriter

I think you struggle to find any books that shed much light on the Stones music, their creative process etc.
The Roy Carr Illustrated Record Books and The Rough Guide RS Book are o.k. up to a point, but they are hardly music critiques in the way some books on The Fab4 and Dylan are.
I think that The Stones have (unfortunately) been overtaken by their celebrity status - I guess you could exclude Charlie. Their various life styles, busts, marriages/affairs/addcitions are all the stuff of tabloid journalism and I would assume that most publishers would expect any writer to emphasis this in any work they are giving an advance to.
Keith's book may shed some light- but he is not prone to go into analytical mode in interviews. In fact Im not sure he thinks R and R warrants it.

good points. looks like the field is wide open for all you wannabe music critics/analysts to do the definitive book on the lads' music. you may even get an interview with hbwriter!

Date: March 23, 2009 19:54

personally, my favorite is the Exile book by bill janowitz - i've never listened to the record the same way after reading that little gem

fyi--our chat

[webtalkradio.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-23 19:55 by hbwriter.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1507
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home