Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Claudine & Some Girls
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 14, 2009 13:33

They could have released another album at the time of ER, with Claudine, Fiji Jim, We had It All, Hang Fire, Everything is Turning to Gold, Gangster's Moll, Let's Go Steady Again, Black Limousine, Do You Think I Care, I Need You, The Way She Held Me Tight and some more. Then after that Tattoo You and the '81 tour. I think they really missed out on that never released album. But just call Chris Kimsey and they can still release it!

Mathijs

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 14, 2009 17:28

I like Indian Girl. Everyone is down on that song i love it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 14, 2009 18:58

Might have been easier to take seriously without that ludicrously 'affected' vocal.

Posted by: Jos ()
Date: March 14, 2009 20:33

Zack
Jos
Kick out Miss You and (i) you have a far better record, and (ii) tons of space to add Claudine and leave Lies

Mick Jagger kick out a #1 single? I think not.

Haha, that may be true, but I absolutely hate the song angry smiley

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: March 14, 2009 21:05

Although I do like the song, I also think CouisinC is on to something that a song seems to get undeserved brownie points for being unreleased.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 14, 2009 21:05

Gazza
CousinC
It's just a nice little outtake. No more- no less!
Fans tend to hype stuff like this.

It wouldn't have made ER any better!

Cant say I agree. It's no masterpiece, but it swings like a bastard.

Wouldnt have made ER better? Each to their own, but I cant see what's so superior about turds like Indian Girl.

Agree. Indian Girl was the first time I thought, boy, how can the Stones fail so miserably. Replace Indian Girl with Think Im Going Mad, replace Where The Boys Go with Claudine, replace All About You with We Had It All and Emotional Rescue becomes a very listenable album.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 15, 2009 01:35

Gazza
Might have been easier to take seriously without that ludicrously 'affected' vocal.

he hadn't perfected his ludicrously pretentious affectation style yet...i actually like his vox on that one...

Date: March 15, 2009 01:36

alimente
Gazza
CousinC
It's just a nice little outtake. No more- no less!
Fans tend to hype stuff like this.

It wouldn't have made ER any better!

Cant say I agree. It's no masterpiece, but it swings like a bastard.

Wouldnt have made ER better? Each to their own, but I cant see what's so superior about turds like Indian Girl.

Agree. Indian Girl was the first time I thought, boy, how can the Stones fail so miserably. Replace Indian Girl with Think Im Going Mad, replace Where The Boys Go with Claudine, replace All About You with We Had It All and Emotional Rescue becomes a very listenable album.

replace Boys?????? WHAT????? of all the horrible suggestions you make in this one little post, this is the one that hurts the most....

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 15, 2009 02:06

Mathijs
They could have released another album at the time of ER, with Claudine, Fiji Jim, We had It All, Hang Fire, Everything is Turning to Gold, Gangster's Moll, Let's Go Steady Again, Black Limousine, Do You Think I Care, I Need You, The Way She Held Me Tight and some more. Then after that Tattoo You and the '81 tour. I think they really missed out on that never released album. But just call Chris Kimsey and they can still release it!

Mathijs

what it really seems like is that they could have done another double album.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 15, 2009 12:21

All About You is fantastic!

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: March 15, 2009 20:45

ryanpow
Mathijs

Mathijs

what it really seems like is that they could have done another double album.

precisely, ryanpow, a silver-age Exile to follow it's silver age SG.

And I totally endorse alimente's replacement of Boys Go with Claudine.

I've said this before - if a song wants 'full marks' for affected vocals - content and style - it's WTBG

I actually find Indian Girl one of the best songs, musically, on the album. I think Jagger's vocals 'work' here cos it was his reaction to a situation of which he had first hand experience. Whereas a 36-37 year-old Jagger pretending to be 'one of the beer-drinking boys' (and not a millionaire socialite) is crass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-15 20:55 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 15, 2009 23:20

There wasnt enough strong material to justify a double album. They had enough trouble stretching it to a single LP, for goodness sake.

If Jagger's going to be taken to task for authenticity regarding what is just a fun knees-up for Where The Boys Go, then by definition that makes Sympathy For The Devil a complete absurdity as well as any blues-derived song the Stones ever recorded. I dont see too many fans complaining about the hypocrisy of 4 white English musicians with a collective worth of $1 billion performing music written or adapated from impoverished black Americans.

If anything, Down In The Hole, the song that follows Where The Boys Go, is more a case of the Stones 'pretending' to be something they're not, but who cares?

Date: March 16, 2009 00:08

yeah, that's the way i see it, too, gazza. it's not so much of his affected vocal style - he has many of those personas - it's the question of which ones sound ridiculous (different to every ear, no dpubt). i love all the stylings on the ER album...he didn't start that over-enunciated, overly-sincere persona until the mid-80's....perfected it with GITD and SOL....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-16 00:22 by T&A.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 16, 2009 00:19

Any song that could replace Lies on Some Girls would be great.

Lies..... even Carlies drum s-u-c-ks on this muzak

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 16, 2009 00:43

Four Stone Walls

And I totally endorse alimente's replacement of Boys Go with Claudine.

quote]

I do not endorse this idea.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: March 16, 2009 01:05

Gazza
There wasnt enough strong material to justify a double album. They had enough trouble stretching it to a single LP, for goodness sake.

If Jagger's going to be taken to task for authenticity regarding what is just a fun knees-up for Where The Boys Go, then by definition that makes Sympathy For The Devil a complete absurdity as well as any blues-derived song the Stones ever recorded. I dont see too many fans complaining about the hypocrisy of 4 white English musicians with a collective worth of $1 billion performing music written or adapated from impoverished black Americans.

If anything, Down In The Hole, the song that follows Where The Boys Go, is more a case of the Stones 'pretending' to be something they're not, but who cares?

"by definition"?? Whose definition?

On Sympathy he's not pretending to be (poor), working class 'lad' at a time when it was fashionable to do so - ie he's not following a social trend (unconvincingly imo). 'Fun knees up' - that's a Faces 'attitude', not Stones one imo.
And wtbg has a weak riff and not very good guitars either.
Agree that Claudine is not musically that strong - but it's Jagger being convincing on lyrical theme/style - closer to Respectable ofcourse

Down In The Hole - it's convincing musically - and you can have 'the Blues' (a sense of loss/personal desperation) and be rich/socially comfortable

i think with the newer songs off Tattoo they had enough songs for a good double.

i.e, Neighbours, Hang Fire, Waiting and Heaven, Limousine ok and SMU

Then add eg Think I'm going mad, Turning to Gold a couple of live '78ers.

Not hard to produce a more than half-decent double.

Exile was criticised for not being 'long enough' for a double.

But think Rattle and Hum. (or not - if you don't like its format)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-16 01:29 by Four Stone Walls.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1600
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home