Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Extended Stay
Date: March 15, 2009 13:58

I was thinking that maybe this event that Prince, Michael Jackson have done or are doing is a pretty good idea. Might be the 'new way': do the Las Vegas Contract deal elsewhere in the world. In a hipper city. Do it in London, NYC, Paris, LA.
Everyone wins: the band makes a lot of dough, yet they don't have to travel. Fans get a chance to come and see the band work up different sets each night; maybe themes. It's the ideal setup to do album nights.
The possibilities for instant video feeds are endless.
I am seeing more and more acts do this.

Re: Extended Stay
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 15, 2009 14:10

Palace Revolution 2000
I was thinking that maybe this event that Prince, Michael Jackson have done or are doing is a pretty good idea. Might be the 'new way': do the Las Vegas Contract deal elsewhere in the world. In a hipper city. Do it in London, NYC, Paris, LA.
Everyone wins: the band makes a lot of dough, yet they don't have to travel. Fans get a chance to come and see the band work up different sets each night; maybe themes. It's the ideal setup to do album nights.
The possibilities for instant video feeds are endless.
I am seeing more and more acts do this.

I can perhaps see what might be in it for an artist that hates to travel, a residency is definitely easier than a tour. Having said that, perhaps some artists actually like touring, seeing different places etc. The Stones seem to derive some level of enjoyment out of it, at least people like Keith and Charlie do ... they actually appear to get out and do the tourist bit whenever/however possible.

I don't think there's too many artists that can actually command long term residencies. I know this a Stones board and awash with diehard fans, but realistically, if the Stones were to announce a residency at the O2 for example (seating capacity 20,000 or whatever it is), how many nights do you think they could credibly do keeping the place reasonably well sold ? Not half as many as we'd like to think is my opinion !

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 15, 2009 14:11

....Groupies won't have ta buy road-maps anymore

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 15, 2009 14:13

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.....but I don't feel any smarter for it.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: March 15, 2009 14:51

Stones kinda did it in Tokyo in 1990. Ten shows in Korakuen Dome in a row.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 15, 2009 22:03

Yes L.A. would be great, after 2 shows there would be no more ticket sales except for those obsessed with seeing the artist multiple times. In the 70's and 80's The big artists might be able to sell out close to a month. But I don't think there are enough 45-65 year olds to keep that support. I think London and New York, and perhaps Las Vegas are the only places where this could succeed...maybe......
unless they play the Wiltern Theater every night

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-15 22:04 by BluzDude.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: March 15, 2009 23:30

The Allman Brothers do a residency in NYC every year at the Beacon Theater and simply clean up. Its like Christmas for them. It's no where the size of the O2 but they can pull it off with ease.

Not much difference between a musical act and a Broadway plays running for years on end when you think of it. Look no further than Spam-A-Lot, it's in London right now (or at least it was) and has been there for quite some time. Fan base, access to transportation and disposable income are the ingredients needed for a residency.

CBII

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 892
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home