Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Street Fighting Man - Cologne 1973 (with better video quality )
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 6, 2009 14:36

As it is hard to find some footage of the 73 tour this might be interesting
cause the video quality of this one is better than the one I posted
some time ago.

If you want to compare :

[www.iorr.org]

Re: Street Fighting Man - Cologne 1973 (with better video quality )
Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: March 6, 2009 19:19

and Keith would never be that good again

Posted by: jigsawp ()
Date: March 6, 2009 23:54

Think it's from Frankfurt 73

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 7, 2009 00:34

Cool! Thanks. Note that MT looks bored as he noodles away. Seriously, at this point it seems that the engine (as it was) is just about played out.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-07 00:46 by bassplayer617.

Posted by: linnerz ()
Date: March 7, 2009 01:08

Is it Cologne or Frankfurt?

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: March 7, 2009 01:21

Bass...player...is Taylor not good?...I give up! Stones 2009 is the best...stupid me!

Posted by: Haristone ()
Date: March 7, 2009 01:23

jigsawp
Think it's from Frankfurt 73

Right, TV recording from Frankfurt.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 7, 2009 01:39

Bjorn
Bass...player...is Taylor not good?...I give up! Stones 2009 is the best...stupid me!

Yes, Bjorn, give up. This clip is ancient history. Taylor good, but Taylor obviously bored. Subject of Taylor: boring overkill.

Let me save someone else the trouble: ah, Jeez, not THIS sh*t again! tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 7, 2009 02:00

Yes, it's Frankfurt.
But the 73 footage from Munich of the same song has been more fun! (Keith!)

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: March 7, 2009 02:09

Bassplayer,

The 'engine' is running at full tilt - as it never wood again.
If anything Jagger is 'played-out' on this performance.

If you didn't have the benefit of seeing Taylor you wouldn't say he was 'bored' - from the way he sounds. And i'm not really sure that you can assume he's bored by the way he looks. For all you know Wyman is bored, perhaps even Watts and Jagger. Infact Jagger's doing all the water and confetti stuff by rote.

Perhaps Jagger is Chairman of the Bored - while Keith resolutely refuses to join his committee.

If only RW would stand still and play so 'bored' more often

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: March 7, 2009 03:17

I rather think that the 'bored' Mr Taylor is actually standing studiously with his head bowed because he is concentrating on his playing. It's his style. Bill's style is to look detached while concentrating on his playing - but he never gets accused of being 'bored'

Enough of all that. Let's just enjoy Keith at his liveliest best - and note that the tour at this stage had taken its toll on Jagger's voice and perhaps stamina(?) - towards the end of the tour at this stage? - or he had a cold or a sore throat? - or an extremely lively party the previous night!?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 7, 2009 10:52

The problem with the live 72/73 Stones is very evident in that clip. It's too over the top and it's not building anything.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: jigsawp ()
Date: March 7, 2009 12:38

Well,some prefer the Stones from 89 onwards and some like the older stuff.For me it's very sad we don't have a show from the 73 European Tour on Video/DVD.Never heard of a Pro-Shot from those shows.Anybody ever seen one of those rare private recordings from London,Manchester or Aarhus?And why don't the three pro-shot songs from Munich appear?At least they were broadcast on German TV!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 7, 2009 12:59

I like the first 3 minutes winking smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 7, 2009 13:30

Checked up Nico´s site and there was at first sight not a hint
concerning private or pro shot live footage.

Cologne is mentioned with some private super 8 material not including
a single complete song.

Frankfurt is noticed without any remark of available footage.

But at Oct. 23th SFM from Frankfurt´s 2nd show Sept.30th was shown
complete on BBC´s old grey whistle test...really strange.

Pure speculating,but if one song exists complete,
what about the rest ?

And thanks to all of you for the Frankfurt help !

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 7, 2009 15:19

I think that was a news clip and they were only allowed the one song

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: March 7, 2009 15:45

listen to about 3:00minutes..
taylor really took the band to another sound..very different from the stones we know now. im not saying is better, very unique anyway..

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 7, 2009 17:06

JumpingKentFlash
The problem with the live 72/73 Stones is very evident in that clip. It's too over the top and it's not building anything.

Pardon me?

Over the top?? confused smiley The building was complete and in perfect state!

Enjoy your "new guitar hero",he did a good job helping to destroy it !!

Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: March 7, 2009 18:22

Four Stone Walls
I rather think that the 'bored' Mr Taylor is actually standing studiously with his head bowed because he is concentrating on his playing. It's his style.

Completely agree - that was how MT looked like on stage - both in the beginning and in the end.

It was Mick and Keith that put up the circus on stage. Now Ronnie is in the circus as well.

The question is then - do we want MT playing on guitar or RW fooling on stage?

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: March 7, 2009 19:12

The question is then - do we want MT playing on guitar or RW fooling on stage?[/quote]

ronnie plays guitar on stage, and he did/does it very well

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 7, 2009 19:21

Again, it's Frankfurt '73, 2nd. The Frankfurt Tapes or Guten Abend Frankfurt is a wonderful boot of two great shows with Taylor strong in the mix. This version of SFM is crazy because it is meant to be. It is a psychedelic (so to speak) closer. If you can hear the horns they are absolutely daffy toward the end. For me with Keith flailing away the point of musical interest after all these years is what Taylor decides to play, like it or not, it is expert guitar playing. They had been playing this song as a closer since '69. They (and Taylor) are pushing the envelope here on what would be the end of the second golden era.

One of my daydreams is to hear an arrangement of this song with Taylor at a slower tempo that retains that eerie melody line that Keith played in '69. But in '73 the band chose this as the closer and it was played as such.

I think this performance of the song is thrilling. I am delighted to be able to see it.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 8, 2009 00:59

With Wood or Taylor - IT'S STILL THE GREATEST R&R BAND IN THE WORLD!!!!!

Date: March 8, 2009 01:22

Still vintage after all these years. Just perfect. Thanks, guys for making this molten music. Nobody's done it since. Even the Black Farts.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 8, 2009 02:04

shortfatfanny

As it is hard to find some footage of the 73 tour this might be interesting
cause the video quality of this one is better than the one I posted
some time ago.

If you want to compare :

[www.iorr.org]

what ever happened to these guys?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 8, 2009 02:13

Amsterdamned
JumpingKentFlash

Pardon me?

Pffff. Street Fighting Man was never better than on the Licks Tour to me.
The problem with the Stones from back that tour (And you can consult Ladies & Gentlemen too, to see it) is that they start way up in the stratosphere and don't know how to take it much higher than that, and all the great soloing in the world isn't gonna change that one iota. So everything is kind of on the same plateau. It's not building up like we see it on today's concerts, and like we saw in 1969.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 8, 2009 06:55

JumpingKentFlash
The problem with the Stones from back that tour (And you can consult Ladies & Gentlemen too, to see it) is that they start way up in the stratosphere and don't know how to take it much higher than that, and all the great soloing in the world isn't gonna change that one iota. So everything is kind of on the same plateau. It's not building up like we see it on today's concerts, and like we saw in 1969.

..building up like we see in today's concerts...? With their click tracks?

I think you're in the minority Kent. Most people think the modern era Stones shows are a little boring with their click tracks and every performance of every song sounding like the one before and the one after, when compared to the '69- '82 period. You're certainly entitled to your own opinion, and if you like the modern day Stones better, then good for you. But I don't think many people will share your feelings.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: March 8, 2009 07:08

This is not a Pipe

Taylor bored and. . .. noodling

Noodling?!?!?!

In the words of John McEnroe: You have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was The Stones as a Stick of Dynamite!!!!!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 8, 2009 07:48

JumpingKentFlash
Amsterdamned
JumpingKentFlash

Pardon me?

Kent, once again you try to get your message through that modern Stones are better than classic Stones.

First: This Frankfurt 1973 version of SFM is an encore. Encore version were always different from shorter version played as openers or during the show. During Licks, SFM was played as an opener. Totally different situation than encore. Just compare "modern" encore versions of Brown Sugar, Satisfaction or JJ Flash to "modern" regular set versions. Your comparison stinks.

Second: I have said it before and I say it again: The modern Stones sound suffers because there is not any guitar player on stage who is able to play a fluid guitar solo anymore. Dont get me wrong - I dont need 10 minute guitar solos, but a decent solo that is not falling apart and ending nowhere here and there would certainly grace the Stones modern live appearances. Of course I believe that modern solos a la Sympathy For The Devil or endless repetions of the same Chuck Berry lick are as diletantic as it can get.

Third: Your point that 1972-73 Stones were "building up" live is so far off the mark that I can only assume you dont listen without prejustice. If you really listen closely its the modern Stones who more often than not play without any real dynamics and structure by storming into a song and getting lost in many cases - not building up anything, sometimes even demonstrating "the art of falling apart" after promising song starts.

To öearn more about dynamics and "building up" during a song start with Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo from Brussels 1973 - it starts tender, almost fragile and builds up to a roaring climax. And there are many more examples from those 72-73 tours. Just listen without prejustice, man!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-08 07:52 by alimente.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 8, 2009 08:09

I think 72-73 SFM is better but in fairness, on the licks toure stadium shows it was played towards the end of the show. the twikinham version on four flicks is a pretty powerful version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-08 08:10 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 8, 2009 10:13

This is hilarous version. It could be true that the band is a bit tired, and Taylor bored - but shit - their standard was so marvellous at the time that this performance still shines brightly. The way Bill, Charlie and Keith start the song ans shoot it all the way through - no prisoners taken! Mick, yeah, has ran out of breath, but goes like a marathon runner in his last few kilometers. Just with the will.

And Taylor - yeah, he goes "over the top", even psychodelic, and is perhaps uninspired, but oh man: what a way to express one's frustration! He puts the feeling into notes, and does as he pleases... That is so unique! These songs were not lead by any Chuck Leavell, or there weren't arrangements created to follow blindly... Taylor makes riskies, and I'm sure drives Keith mad, but once in a life time, babe... That's rock and roll, not safe and sure family entertainment, children...

Jeez, I love this band.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-08 10:17 by Doxa.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2781
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home