Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT, Stones and Mark Knopfler
Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: March 5, 2009 15:48

I wonder if thare are frienship or opinions between them, songs, etc, when he was in Dire Straits or by himself, any press opinion?

Million thanks
Carlos
Tenerife

Re: OT, Stones and Mark Knopfler
Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 5, 2009 16:06

The only thing I know of appears on a mid '80s radio interview with Keith where he picked 10 songs he likes/ is influenced by. (Some kind person posted it on here a while back - can't find the link, sorry). One of his choices was Money for Nothing and I think he spoke briefly about how good he thought Mark Knopfler was. Wonder if he'd still think that today?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 5, 2009 18:02

Keith has worked with Knopfler's solo band, The '96ers several times in the last decade or so. I would suspect Keith thinks he's a fine player, although Knopfler abandoned trying to reach the rock market years ago and took himself out of the competition (something Keith probably would like to do himself from time to time). Clapton has long been a vocal supporter of Knopfler's playing ability and Keith and Clapton are mutual admirers so its certainly not impossible to think the appreciation extends to Knopfler.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 5, 2009 18:02

He could have replaced Taylor,or at least Ron Wood.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: March 5, 2009 18:04

How can this possibly be OT?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 5, 2009 18:08

Whilst I can take or leave Dire Straits, Knopfler is a talented musician and his guitar on Sultans Of Swing still amazes.

Date: March 5, 2009 18:17

Oh, I wouldn't claim Keith was a fan of his songwriting, I suspect it would be playing if anything. They share a number of the same influences. Keith rarely discusses the abilities of other guitarists. You won't find much mention of Dave Davies of the Kinks, for instance and he's another one that falls into the category of similar influences to the Stones.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: March 5, 2009 20:57

in my opinion knopfler is ahead of all of them : keith , wood m taylor clapton,
what do you think ?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 5, 2009 21:09

Knopfler to me has more in common with Randy Newman: droll, very literary, musically inventive.

Date: March 5, 2009 21:21

If by that you mean lyrically, I'd agree. Musically, he's focused on folk, country, and blues since hanging up his rock star ambitions more than fifteen years ago. He still plays some blistering solos live, but his playing is minimalist in the studio. His most commercial songs in recent years were for his long-gestating collaborative effort with Emmylou Harris. The albums he's made on his own are largely low-key affairs with sharply observed character studies set against a backdrop of traditional music forms.

Date: March 5, 2009 21:27

I'm hoping for another Knopler - Harris collaboration. I love the CD-DVD they put out. A great band on that.

Posted by: kath51 ()
Date: March 5, 2009 21:41

he's maybe the finest guitar player alive today. of course, i have no idea what keith actually THINKS, but i can't imagine any musician not appreciating the genius of mark.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 5, 2009 21:48

If he was good enough to play with Chet Atkins, he's good enough for me.

"Down To The Waterline" is a personal favorite.

Date: March 5, 2009 22:03

same here Elmo. you play, right? do you guys play 'Waterline'? its great to play, if you have someone who can play Knopfler style or close to it!

Date: March 5, 2009 22:20

Hey Duke, the band for the Emmylou collaboration and tour is The '96ers. They've been Knopfler's back-up band since he disbanded Dire Straits and they've seen a more stable line-up since their formation (in 1994 oddly enough, but nothing saw the light of day until 1996 - hence the name) than Dire Straits did in their 15 years of existence.

Date: March 5, 2009 22:26

Amsterdamned
He could have replaced Taylor,or at least Ron Wood.
i never thought of this before but you might be on to something no matter how sacreligious it sounds .good taste !!!

Date: March 5, 2009 22:32

thanks Rocky! their work is familiar, Richard Bennett is on lots of my favorite albums, and Stuart Duncan with the Nashville Bluegrass Band..also Glenn Worf is the bassist, right? I can't think of the drummer's name at the moment but he is a great pocket player.

Posted by: nybluesman ()
Date: March 5, 2009 23:09

You can take Knopfler or leave him..that as all music is a personal choice....however, I do not see how you cannot appreciate what an absolute unbelievable musician he is. I am a huge fan yes...and having seen Mark live since the early Straits days...I am always astounded at his playing and his tone. And he always has a top notch band. His latest solo tour...was one of my favorites.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: March 5, 2009 23:14

Isn't it strange that Knopfler created tension between himself and Mick Taylor
at the Infindels sessions with Bob Dylan in the 80's. Knopfler didn't want Taylor included, he wanted the ZZ Top Guitarist - Bob put him in his place by
telling Knopfler: Taylor is one of the best anf he's my choice!!!

Funny how about this time Knopfler turned to Les Paul's instead of his original
Fenders... Wonder if Taylor's Vibrato showed him something??

MLC

Date: March 5, 2009 23:40

Duke, The '96ers original drummer was Chad Cromwell. More recently late-period Dire Straits percussionist Danny Cummings has taken over the drum riser.

MLC, I've heard Knopfler comment several times about wanting Billy Gibbons instead of Mick Taylor. I would note that Knopfler has apparently not tried particularly hard to work with Billy Gibbons since that time. I don't know what his issue with Taylor. I would guess it was nervousness being around someone with Taylor's ability, but that certainly didn't prevent him from beginning a longstanding tradition of playing live with Clapton during the LOVE OVER GOLD tour just before the INFIDELS sessions. I've also heard an INFIDELS bootleg where Dylan, Knopfler, and Josh Abbey discuss what a tremendous player Taylor is and how he should never have left the Stones, is self-destructive, etc. I suppose we'll never know the truth.

As to Knopfler's playing with other musicians, its no secret he's a perfectionist and has been described as very difficult to work with by several former Dire Straits members. I thought he did his best work with his brother, David (a talented singer/songwriter, musician and poet in his own right and a helluvva nice guy, I'd add). I enjoyed Hal Lindes' playing, but his personality and Knopfler appear not to have clicked. Jack Sonni was a good player, but the Little Steven image seems a mistake in retrospect. Phil Palmer is an excellent guitarist (its in his genes, being Dave Davies' nephew), but again seems to have had personality conflicts with Knopfler. He seems to have mellowed a bit with age since ending Dire Straits and I agree his pairing with Richard Bennett shows them both in a good light. Their studio work is what I would expect, but I'm always shocked at how well Bennett handles Dire Straits riffs live. Not what I would have expected from Bennett at all.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 6, 2009 01:31

Techniaclly Knopfler is ahead but its not all about technically played guitar when it comes to any of the Stines work.

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: March 6, 2009 01:48

slew
Techniaclly Knopfler is ahead but its not all about technically played guitar when it comes to any of the Stines work.

But the man's got taste and style too.

I've always considered he's a bit underrated among the rock purists, wich amazes me since he's always been rooted in blues, country, folk and classic 70's rock.

And not only as a guitar player.

As songwriter and lyricist, in my opinion he's or has been there with the greatest ones.

"Tunnel of Love" and "Telegraph Road" could have been written by Springsteen or Dylan any time.

I'm glad some people in this forum also appreciate his work.

That being said, Knopfler replacing Taylor or Woody? Dont think he fits there very much, but a collaboration sure would be interesting...

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 6, 2009 02:15

I personally think Mark Knopfler is a genius, and (along with Buddy Guy) the most talented guitarist my ears have ever had the pleasure to listen to.

He also seems extremely humble. No rockstar bullshit.

Drew

Posted by: Slim Harpo ()
Date: March 6, 2009 02:27

He is one of the best guitarists around. Maybe some of his work is undermined by his languid singing style, so for example Tunnel of Love - which I agree is an excellent song - may have stood up better with a more charismatic singer at the mic.

Anyway, Knopfler's work with Chet Atkins is clear proof that as a player he is among the very best. Also try and get a listen to the Notting Hillbillies if you haven't already. You'll know that Keith would like that stuff.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 6, 2009 04:29

milio77
slew

"Tunnel of Love" and "Telegraph Road" could have been written by Springsteen or Dylan any time.

Guess who plays piano on Tunnel if Love? (BTW, Making Movies is one of my favorite all time records)

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 6, 2009 06:48

Money for Nothing and Honky Tonk Women are like cousins.
absolutely understandable, Keith liked that one.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 6, 2009 06:52

I still want to know what type of pick Knopfler uses (lol).

Date: March 6, 2009 09:20

milio77

That being said, Knopfler replacing Taylor or Woody? Dont think he fits there very much, but a collaboration sure would be interesting...

The collaboration Wood -Rolling Stones is not the most inspiring one (talking about music!),
so there was nothing to loose since the Rolling Stones are about music in the first place.

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: March 6, 2009 19:21

BluzDude
milio77
slew

Guess who plays piano on Tunnel if Love? (BTW, Making Movies is one of my favorite all time records)

Of course, no other than Professor Roy Bittan. Great piano parts in that song. One of my favourite albums too.

Date: March 6, 2009 20:12

Agreed and no disrespect to Guy Fletcher, who has been Knopfler's choice of collaborator for the past 25 years, but for my money, Alan Clark was the best keyboard player Knopfler ever found starting with the MAKING MOVIES ON LOCATION tour.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home