Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Has there ever been a good live version of Sad Sad Sad?
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: March 3, 2009 06:35

Honestly, I would really like to know. I've been trying to find a good live version and I can't find anything I really dig. The studio version ROCKS. Every live version has the lame keyboards driving the song right from the beginning. What the hell? Why is there not a single track that starts of guitars ablaze??

Re: Has there ever been a good live version of Sad Sad Sad?
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 3, 2009 06:40

Wow.

I'll have to listen to the Flashpoint version again. I don't recall hearing any keyboards driving this song. Every time I've heard it it's all guitars.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 3, 2009 06:42

The best guitar driven live version that I've heard is the Toronto Club gig 8-16-02 sb.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 3, 2009 06:45

GREAT version.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: March 3, 2009 06:46

I will admit I dug the Toronto 02 Club gig version. That one was very fast had some good guitarplay by both of them.

Every version of Sad Sad Sad from 89, including the Live at the Max and Flashpoint versions, seem to be keyboard heavy to me, especially on the opening notes.

Note: As I type this I am downloading every bootleg I can find from the 89/90 tour just to find ONE great version of this song.

Date: March 3, 2009 06:49

Oh. Now it just made sense.

I dunno. Is it really that bad?

Date: March 3, 2009 06:51

Its not THAT bad. This is just such a killer song, I can't believe there isn't some fantastic definitive version from the Steel Wheels Tour.

The Club Gig version with all the great chugging guitars and dueling... I mean, I remember blasting that back in 2002 at my recording studio at incredible volumes thinking it was great... So is that the tops?

Date: March 3, 2009 06:53

Hey you got me. I have no idea. I've only heard the LP version, the live LP version, the IMAX version and the one bootleg I have (Seventh Of July). That's it.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: March 3, 2009 10:27

toronto club gig version is fantastic! wow.....

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: March 3, 2009 10:54

It was also played at one Voodoo Lounge gig (in Toronto).
But I haven't heard that version.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 3, 2009 11:25

never liked this one live either.. to me it sounds like it has synth horns... am I hearing this right?

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: March 3, 2009 12:10

Never heard a better live version than the Toronto Club gig!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 3, 2009 19:40

They played awesome on the Palais Royale show, 'cept for a few misses (Torn & Frayed for one). The Stones anno 2002 were incredible.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: March 3, 2009 19:51

Has there ever been a bad version?

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: March 3, 2009 19:56

would like to hear this voodoo lounge version. anybody got it?eye rolling smiley

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 3, 2009 22:50

Has there ever been a good studio version of SAD SAD SAD? winking smiley
Poor lyrics ruin a good tune IMO.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: March 3, 2009 23:10

No, 2002 was not great...at all...not incredible! 73, 78, 81 was great. 2002 was family-entertainment and bad playing, as usual! Sad...was good in the studio.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 3, 2009 23:11

classic example of a stones by-the-numbers tune that starts nowhere and ends up in the same place...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 4, 2009 02:37

Mick plays the intro on the studio version and was apparently nervous about doing so live so Chuck plays the intro on keyboards instead. Same thing happened with "Throwaway" (Mick's intro in the studio was replaced by Phil Ashley's keyboards live). At the 2002 club gig, Keith plays the intro.

Date: March 4, 2009 02:50

How could there be?

Date: March 4, 2009 04:30

Mick was nervous?

I find that very difficult to believe. I think it's just Chuck unchecked.

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: March 4, 2009 05:03

tower theatre 2002; the best and the last time ever played

Date: March 4, 2009 05:09

I've always liked this tune. Beyond that it reminds me of their harder tuneage - it IS hard tuneage. 'Vintage' Rolling Stones. I always thought of it as the Stones being themselves - cranking guitars, howling vocals, steady pounding beat. Great stuff. Musically it's Brown Sugar flip flopped with the key and the progression etc... but then you could apply that to quite a few of their songs. I recall some reviews calling it a barnstormer of a song. I agree and I always put it on whatever recent years comps I make. Probably the best track on the album, one of their Top 5 tracks of the 1980s and it really really really makes Rock And A Hard Place sound just as awful as it is - really really really bad. Hard to believe it's the same band on the same album doing that.

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: March 4, 2009 15:54

Rocky Dijon
At the 2002 club gig, Keith plays the intro.[/quote

The main guitar you hear playing the intro is Mick. He does a good job on this version. Keith plays some rythym mostly on the g-cord but also plenty of noodling. If you took away Micks guitar this version would sound very different.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 4, 2009 16:10

I still remember how excited I was when I put the brand-new STEEL WHEELS on... "Sad Sad Sad" was a fresh statement of The Stones rolling again. There is absolutely nothing new or insteresting in the song, but being as basic as it is, IS the statement.

I never liked the live versions they did in STEEL WHEELS/URBAN JOUNGLE tour. It usually came unnoticed after the strong opener "Start Me Up". Jagger, and the whole band sounded so forced, and till to the day I haven't heard any version I would call inspired. Perhaps it is too by-numbers-kind of song, and the band just sounds like they supposed to play it because it the opening song from the album they suppose to tour behind. It sets the fate of their upcoming albums to come.

I think calling that 2002 version any good shows how low the expectations have fallen. The band does not need to do much to gather hurrays from fans...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-04 16:15 by Doxa.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: March 4, 2009 16:25

It doesn't work as well live because Chuck is doubling Mick's guitar intro and Mick's guitar needs to be turned way up.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: March 4, 2009 16:54

Wembley 1990 has a guitar intro hasn't it? Good version too!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 4, 2009 17:48

I just wish Keith's guitar were a little more audible on that Toronto '02 performance. It is clearly a rocking rendition, however - very strong rhythm-work from Wood and Jagger.

I've always adored this track. It was my single introduction to the 'modern-era' Rolling Stones. Prior to hearing it, I knew nothing post-early 70's. I was thrilled by the roaring and snarling of Keith's riffs and it still excites today, imo.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 4, 2009 19:58

To me there's never ever been a good version of this song at all!

For me one of the Stones' weaker rockers. Particularly the lyrics ruin it.

From the live versions the 2002 renditions are somewhat better because of more guitars and rawness.

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 4, 2009 20:13

scottkeef
The best guitar driven live version that I've heard is the Toronto Club gig 8-16-02 sb.

Yep.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1696
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home