Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Monkey man - Keith's guitaring
Posted by: squando ()
Date: March 5, 2009 05:43

ps - anybody know what guitars he used?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 7, 2009 18:31

Jim Gordon was sentenced in 1983 for killing his Mother with a hammer. Funny how if you're proven wrong you still try to worm your way out of it. No reply this time! yeah really pays the bills, maybe a new pillow maybe once a month

Date: March 9, 2009 14:10

Anyone?

About the guitars used I mean - not anymore about "Layla" please?????

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 9, 2009 17:06

That Keith played on Monkey Man?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 9, 2009 23:01

squando
Anyone?

About the guitars used I mean - not anymore about "Layla" please?????

For the main guitar part, Keith probably played his 3 pickup les paul custom as that se ems to have been his favourite guitar at the time.

Date: March 10, 2009 12:51

Yes Skipstone I should have been clearer.

Thanks HM. Such a great sound.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 10, 2009 18:31

More Hot Rocks
Jim Gordon was sentenced in 1983 for killing his Mother with a hammer. Funny how if you're proven wrong you still try to worm your way out of it. No reply this time! yeah really pays the bills, maybe a new pillow maybe once a month

Everybody knows what happened to Gordon but you. Jim Gordon was transferred to Atascadero State Hospital for treatment. As Gordon is not eligible for insurance, he has to pay the bills himself. Luckily, the royalties of Layla and some support by Clapton and many friends this is taken care off.

Mathijs

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-10 23:28 by bv.

Date: March 10, 2009 22:28

Now now now Mr Mathisj. Just becasue you're wrong you don't have to use profanity. Jim gordon has never left California. he is still in Vacaville. you can go to any web site. Even the states site of incarcerated inmates and it will list his name. There is even a a site where can sign a petion for his release when he come up on parole again. Federal prohibits any incarcerated felone from receiving and kind of royalties or income, pensions, right to vote etc. Do you think Charlie manson is getting royalties? Nope. Open a law book and find out. i would tell you where to look but you'll probabaly argue that too.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 10, 2009 23:28

Please do not get personal regarding this discussion. Thanks!

Bjornulf

Date: March 11, 2009 00:41

from a Washington Post article in '94:

[www.iem.ac.ru]

Then Clapton stated in his '05 Rollin' Stone interview (concerning the New York Cream concerts) that he thinks about Gordon frequently, and that he feels relieved now Gordon is treated for his sickness and that he is well off financially. I am no expert on anything Gordon/Clapton but I have no reason to doubt these statements.

Mathijs
ps whenever you bother to reply just try to get my name right.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 11, 2009 00:52

Man, how did a thread about Keith's guitar playing on Monkey Man get turned into one about Jim Gordon and his Layla contribution? This could be a great thread if it stayed on topic. As for me, Monkey Man represents one of Keith's finest moments on record. The tone and phrasing he gets on this song is phenomenal and is a text book example of what clean, hard driving rock and roll guitar should sound like. If any aspiring guitarists haven't tried playing it, then give it a go!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-11 02:37 by ChrisM.

Date: March 11, 2009 01:52

I will until you learn how to spell profanities. Here's proof to the minute. many many links and facts and records on his state.

[www.jamiethompson.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-11 01:55 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: March 11, 2009 10:27

More Hot Rocks
I will until you learn how to spell profanities. Here's proof to the minute. many many links and facts and records on his state.

[www.jamiethompson.net]

As far as I can tell from your link there's nothing that proofs the Washington '94 article or Clapton's statements wrong. Gordon to date is in the Atascadero State Hospital, which is an institute for the mentally ill who pose a threat to society.

[www.dmh.ca.gov]

Gordon is being medicated and doing well. The petition is to get him paroled from this vicinity, which I understand, is very unlikely as Gordon reportedly still is schizophrenic and depressed.

Mathijs

Date: March 11, 2009 10:46

For God's sake start emailing one another. This is about the song MM.

I don't care about the point either of you are on about - re someone that's in jail or hospital..

Mathijs you have a wealth of knowledge re guitars etc. Instead of entering into a side issue of a side point I now wish I'd never mentioned (Layla) - could you shed any light on what Keith was using guit and amp wise?

"This could be a great thread if it stayed on topic"

Well put ChrisM.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 11, 2009 11:02

I think I remember reading that while making Let it Bleed that the sound/production of MM was criticized by someone for being too slick and pop.

Am I day dreaming?

C

Date: March 11, 2009 15:31

squando
For God's sake start emailing one another. This is about the song MM.

I don't care about the point either of you are on about - re someone that's in jail or hospital..

Mathijs you have a wealth of knowledge re guitars etc. Instead of entering into a side issue of a side point I now wish I'd never mentioned (Layla) - could you shed any light on what Keith was using guit and amp wise?

"This could be a great thread if it stayed on topic"

Well put ChrisM.

Yeah, sorry about that. But this guy's got something on me, for whatever reason.

Anwyay, about the guitar and amp on MM it's difficult. He most probably used the 3 pickup Custom. He hardly played anything else during this period, and the sound is there. As for the amp that's much harder. It sounds very much like recordings where he used the Vox Supreme amps, and also a bit like his guitar on Honky Tonk Women, which I personally think he used a supreme as well. To my ears it does not sound like Vox AC30, but it could also be a crancked, fuzzy WEM. But my main guess is the Supreme.

Maybe His Majesty can try to see if he can get this sound with his Supreme?

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 11, 2009 16:09

I can get kinda close with my custom and supreme, but then again I can also get close using my AC50 too. grinning smiley

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: March 11, 2009 22:29

"I think I remember reading that while making Let it Bleed that the sound/production of MM was criticized by someone for being too slick and pop. Am I dreaming?"

Not at all. I found the story (in "the Rolling Stones and the Making of Let It Bleed" (Vinyl Frontier) by Sean Egan) very amusing. Apparently the technician held grudges about it for ages. Recommended reading.
RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-11 22:31 by RobberBride.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1497
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home