Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT Which amp to buy
Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: February 22, 2009 01:11

Hi Guitar experts,

I'm looking to buy a new guitar amp (combo). I wanna spend about 300 Euro. What would be a good buy to have my fender tele 72 custom sound right and Keith-ish?

Here comes the bus

Re: OT Which amp to buy
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 22, 2009 01:28

Don't know the price in Europe, but I would go for a (Fender) deluxe reverb.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: February 22, 2009 01:44

I have a Fender deluxe and I love it. It fits the bill in even the largest clubs I play.

But in the smaller places (like my house!), you can't beat the Fender Pro Jr, which is basically a modern version of the '53 Neil Young & Crazy Horse Deluxe. 15 watts of love! When I'm jamming with my son and he's on drums, I still don't have to turn that Jr. past 4. I've used the Jr. at outdoor festivals, run it into the monitors, and felt like I had all the amp I need. Those things are marvelous. And portable!

Tommy

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 22, 2009 12:24

Fender Champ.

Posted by: Fingers ()
Date: February 22, 2009 14:05

Vox AD series...I've got an AD50...the Fender Twin option is awesomely close...especially if you put a Bad Monkey overdrive in front.

I've A/B'd it alongside the real deal...it is so close!!!!!!!!

....and of course you then get all the other Vox, Marshall, Dumble and Mesa Boogie options as well for FREE....and it has a built in attenueter for home use.

Most versatile and bl00dy good.

Happy to be here....Happy to be anywhere.....

[www.myspace.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: February 22, 2009 15:13

If I was in the market for a new amp. I'd buy this. I've tried one; It's awesome.

Blackstar HT5, Combo, Head and Stack.

I have the Blackstar HT Dual pedal and it's probably the best pedal I've ever owned.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 22, 2009 16:15

Yep, a small Fender tube amp would do it. You may want to save a bit more, though. Do not get a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, their sound is terrible, and you'll end up selling it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 22, 2009 19:43

Google this one,you'll be amazed, they sound great in anyway!!

Hartke GT60P Gitaarstack Piggyback (Hybride)

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: February 22, 2009 22:24

Fingers
Vox AD series...I've got an AD50...the Fender Twin option is awesomely close...especially if you put a Bad Monkey overdrive in front.

I've A/B'd it alongside the real deal...it is so close!!!!!!!!

....and of course you then get all the other Vox, Marshall, Dumble and Mesa Boogie options as well for FREE....and it has a built in attenueter for home use.

Most versatile and bl00dy good.

I find amp modeling very limited. It does sound close to the typical sound of the original amp. But it clearly doesn't behave like a tube amp, when you start to play with the volume or even just the way you attack or touch the guitar.

It also sucks the life out of the guitar, which is annoying as most of us here use guitars with very strong personalities. A Marshall setting will make my Telecaster sound like a Les Paul, for instance.

But I agree that it is very versatile and useful when recording demos.

For your budget I'd really go with a small Fender amp.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: February 22, 2009 22:27

save some more money and go for a fender blues deluxe or hotrod
or save even more money and buy a hiwatt (50) top and a 4X12 speaker!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 22, 2009 22:31

Amazing. The guy has 300 euro, and wants to sound like Keith. What is recommended here? Vox, Marshall, Dumble, even a full HiWatt stack....

Mathijs

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: February 22, 2009 22:33

Mathijs
Amazing. The guy has 300 euro, and wants to sound like Keith. What is recommended here? Vox, Marshall, Dumble, even a full HiWatt stack....

Mathijs

well the fender hotrod is not so far away from 300 euros. secondhand you shurely get one for 500 euros.
and i just said he should save more money...thats just how i do it. i rather wait and buy something that really makes me happy then spending it on cheap stuff...

Date: February 22, 2009 22:57

guitarbastard
Mathijs

Mathijs

well the fender hotrod is not so far away from 300 euros. secondhand you shurely get one for 500 euros.
and i just said he should save more money...thats just how i do it. i rather wait and buy something that really makes me happy then spending it on cheap stuff...

Well a know a musicstore in Brunssum ( South-Holland) that offers an Ampeg VT 22 (Tube) for 550€. With a tele you can get real close to Keith sound in the 7-tees.
If it's still there next week I'm gonna get it.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 22, 2009 23:27

since you only want to spend 300€, the Fender Super Champ XD is in that ballpark.
I've read some good reviews about it but haven't tried it myself.

[www.thomann.de]

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: February 23, 2009 01:16

open-g
since you only want to spend 300€, the Fender Super Champ XD is in that ballpark.
I've read some good reviews about it but haven't tried it myself.

[www.thomann.de]

I tried one of these a few weeks ago at Sam Ash. Not a bad amp at all for the money, I don't know if it's gigable though.

Certainly a nice bedroom or recording amp.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-23 01:17 by jabhead.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 23, 2009 18:02

"Amazing. The guy has 300 euro, and wants to sound like Keith."

Well why not? The WHOLE guitar industry lives on "be like your hero" trends thru endorsement, special editions etc etc.

How many people have bought a Leica cameras cos they knew R.Frank or HCB used this camera? Tons! Did they take a good pic with it? Probably not... Did they leave the camera shop with a strong sense of bliss? Certainly...

Promoman will buy his amp, go home, plug in, turn it to 11, and feel like the happiest motherf#@cker in his block, and so what? thumbs up

Don't kill Promoman's dream! winking smiley I'm with you man!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-23 18:05 by dcba.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 23, 2009 18:24

I've got a Hot Rod. I love it. But I'm not aping Keith Richards either. It's way more reliable then my Fender Super and weighs about 300 pounds less.

I've also got a Fender Champ. If you wanna sound like Keith or get sounds like Keith get a Fender Champ.

The Twin flat out sucks and is way too loud. I can't stand them.

Date: February 23, 2009 19:25

I just recently bought a new amp that I think has a really nice, chunky sound. Orange's Tiny Terror.

Low power (can select between 7 and 15 watts)
3 knobs - volume, tone, gain
Plenty loud enough for practice, studio, small clubs

just a really neat little amp. I got the head, but you can also get it as a small combo amp.

Not sure this will help you address your quest for Keith's tone, but it's got a nice rock sound.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 23, 2009 19:39

Promoman:

Years ago I bought a small old 60's Ampeg Jet for more or less 350 dollars (including shipment). Its a beauty. I see that the reputation of the Jet series is growing along with its quotations, while the rest of the old Ampeg combo catalog is still very underrated. If you have enough patience I am sure that with your budget you can find one of those beautiful amps!

C

Date: February 23, 2009 22:32

dcba
"Amazing. The guy has 300 euro, and wants to sound like Keith."

Well why not? The WHOLE guitar industry lives on "be like your hero" trends thru endorsement, special editions etc etc.

How many people have bought a Leica cameras cos they knew R.Frank or HCB used this camera? Tons! Did they take a good pic with it? Probably not... Did they leave the camera shop with a strong sense of bliss? Certainly...

Promoman will buy his amp, go home, plug in, turn it to 11, and feel like the happiest motherf#@cker in his block, and so what? thumbs up

Don't kill Promoman's dream! winking smiley I'm with you man!

You misunderstood me. The guy has 300 euro, and people advise him to buy a 2500 euro HiWat stack. He wants to sound like Keith, and people advise to buy a Vox or a Dumble.

If you want to sound like Keith (post-'68) you're talking Fender or Ampeg. 300 euro gets you an old Jet or Champ, or a new Pro Junior of the (excellent may i say) Champ XD. If you want something giggable you need 200 euro more.

Mathijs

Date: February 23, 2009 22:33

Amsterdamned
guitarbastard
Mathijs

Mathijs

Well a know a musicstore in Brunssum ( South-Holland) that offers an Ampeg VT 22 (Tube) for 550€. With a tele you can get real close to Keith sound in the 7-tees.

Fantastic amp (if it got the sensetivity switch), but it's not going to do much good if you're a bedroom player.

Mathijs

Date: February 24, 2009 12:08

Mathijs
Amsterdamned
guitarbastard
Mathijs

Mathijs

Fantastic amp (if it got the sensetivity switch), but it's not going to do much good if you're a bedroom player.

Mathijs

Great amp indeed (hey we agree! thumbs up) and I think 550€ is a low price,it's a 100% ok.
Yes,it's got the sensitivity switsch,and lucky enough I'am no bedroomplayer.
But I know what you mean,I can turn it really loud on occasions:don't try
this at home of course! cool smiley

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: February 24, 2009 20:40

My wife bought me the new Fender Blues Junior-Texas Red....with the Celestion speaker.

I love it. I play a US Tele through it. I get a pretty good crunch with the overdrive on. Good reverb too.

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: February 24, 2009 23:00

Thanks all you guys. Much appreciated. I am indeed a bedroom artist. I do hope a new amp will make me the happiest kid on the block. I will check my local store (Feedback Rotterdam) soon and try a few of the suggestions.

I don't mind spending a little more but I'm not good enough for live performances, nor will be for a long time. I hope a new sound will bring extra joy to my bedroom performances and practicing.

Once again thanks for the suggestions Like this one

Here comes the bus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-24 23:11 by Promoman.

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: February 24, 2009 23:22

Save a little more money and get yourself a MESA Boogie mark III simule class. You'll never need another amp ever.

Date: February 24, 2009 23:28

Niklas
Save a little more money and get yourself a MESA Boogie mark III simule class. You'll never need another amp ever.

thumbs up

Date: February 28, 2009 14:45

Niklas

Good amp, but it's not going to give you a very Keith-ish sound, you need a Boogie Mk I or IIB with 6L6 power tubes.

Mathijs

Date: February 28, 2009 15:52

Don't forget the most important thing Promoman: If you want a Keit-ish sound,you have too play Keit-ish,no matter what amp you have.

In the end it's feeling that moves people.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: February 28, 2009 16:07

In my opinion Swart is the best thing around, though $$$$.

www.swartamps.com

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 28, 2009 16:47

A couple of days ago I was at a GuitarCenter in Rockville, md. Also looking for a new amp to buy,I wanted a tube amp that I could carry easily. The sale person directed me to a small room and pointed at what looked like a "mini" marshall stack. He said "Try this". It was a Rebel 20 Egnater. Never heard of it before, I grabbed a Gibson ES335,and started to play some Stones songs. Then a guy stepped in the booth and stood there while I was playing & said"That was good man,that's your amp, get it". So I am saving $$$ and because it really felt great playing that thing,I'm gonna buy it:$800
Any of you know that amp?
[www.egnateramps.com]
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2371
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home