Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goin' Home (stones) = The End (doors) ?? or parallels anyway?
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 16, 2009 06:38

i suppose this is pretty evident and not at all a novel observation, but would u say that Goin Home has a lot in common with The End by The Doors? What month and year did each come out/was released?

Very long, stretched out song, vocals that are not singing, but perhaps moaning and guttural expreessions such as ma, ma, ma -- i think Morrison does the same thing in The End. Maybe it was just the style and product of the times and there are other songs that can also be held up in comparison by other bands.

Can't u just see it -- going after Col Kurtz in the Kurtz compound to put an "End" to Kurtz or to send him "Home"?? Now I've just introduced the Apocalypse Now film into this, but can anyone see any of this, or are these just the ravings of a mad Kurtz/Joseph Conrad/Plexiglass inside one's own 'horror' or Heart of Darkness or Heart of Plexness?

plexi
Visit Plexiland!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-16 06:41 by timbernardis.

Re: Goin' Home = The End?? or parallels anyway?
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 16, 2009 06:41

I think GOIN HOME defineltley has a phychadellic flare to it. the fact that its so long and repatitive gives it a trance-like quality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-16 07:16 by ryanpow.

Re: Goin' Home (stones) = The End (doors) ?? or parallels anyway?
Date: February 16, 2009 07:12

Indeed. Maybe not quite as dark or powerful as The End.

I have often thought the Doors are both haunting and haunted (esp Morrison).

And one can get "entranced" (using the phrase in the other thread about songs that entrance u) by both songs.

p

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-16 07:15 by timbernardis.

Re: Goin' Home = The End?? or parallels anyway?
Date: February 16, 2009 07:20

thanks for Putting quotes around "entrance" it made me realize my mispelling of that word...
Speaking of psychadellic, have you ever heard any early Funkadellic stuff before they became Parliment funkadellic? pretty cool stuff. Kind of Doorssey and Hendrix-ish too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-16 07:20 by ryanpow.

Date: February 16, 2009 07:23

no I haven't, what year(s)?

pl

Date: February 16, 2009 07:24

that song I posted a link to was from '71 ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-16 07:27 by ryanpow.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 16, 2009 15:20

Goin' Home is one of those tracks that I just can't get into whereas The End is just very powerful but I could not take a staedy diet of that song either.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 16, 2009 15:28

There are more parallels with Love's side long track Revelation which came out early in 67. Both are long and plodding and feature similar riffs.

The Stones later ripped Love off, lyrically, on She's A Rainbow. Love had a track on their April 66 album Da Capo called She Comes In Colours.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: February 16, 2009 16:08

I'm pretty sure John Densmore, in his autobio, talks a bit about them being great fans of Aftermath - and Goin' Home was an inspiration for a Doors track, but that was - if memory serves me - When the Music's Over.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1476
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home