Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 11 of 15
Re: Your age/photo
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 30, 2012 19:45

Naturalust
I'm only doing this to get my picture anywhere near that one of SwayStones..the guitar is a 1999 model, 13 years old, lotsa miles, just like it's owner.
peace

Please tell me more about that guitar ...See, I am not a "pro" ...I'd like to know !
Teach me I want to learn smiling smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 30, 2012 20:07

Anything for you Sway.

It's a 25th Anneversary 1999 Taylor 510-AB. The AB stands for Abalone. The beautiful shell that is inlaid around the top and in the rosetta around the sound hole.

It's been repaired by Al at Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz more than a few times and actually seamed together the long way once. It's been on lots of airplanes and beaches but is still my #1 guitar. One time someone came up to say something, tripped and spilled an entire martini into the sound hole. I think it might have actually helped the tone, at least it sounds better to itself.

It has a Fishman Ellipse Blend pickup system which includes a microphone inside the guitar and a transducer pickup under the bridge. The original 24:1 tuners have been replaced by 18:1 Gotoh type because the Gotoh ones allow you to do a quicker tuning mid-song. Strings have been changed an average of once/week since
I got it in 2000. That alot of string changes.

Got at gig at 11AM today, at the local Church new strings waitin' to be played, I have to do 4 songs and I'm not much one for hymns. I guess God doesn't care. lol Have a great day Sway. peace

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 30, 2012 21:48

Me with my Fender Jaguar. I'm 46.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-30 22:21 by stonesnow.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: September 30, 2012 22:44

am not happy to reveal my ignorance, but how do i put a picture in my post ?

Date: September 30, 2012 22:52

am not happy to reveal my ignorance, but how do i put a picture in my post ?

BV left a set of instructions on page 3 of this thread.

Also, if you have a Facebook account, you can upload a photo from your hard drive, then right click on the photo, select "copy image URL" and paste it in your post. Be sure to add image tags around the photo URL [in brackets]: IMG.../IMG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-01 00:03 by stonesnow.

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: September 30, 2012 22:57

Those of you that are facebook users can find my photo on my Stones facebook group Nasty Habits I actually have a gallery (let's ave a look atcha!) on there for fans who follow my page. So feel free to upload pics of yourself at Stones shows.

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: September 30, 2012 23:03

This is me.

After a night on the lash.

Date: September 30, 2012 23:08

stonesnow

Nice. How old is the guitar? peace

Date: September 30, 2012 23:34

Naturalust
stonesnow

I bought it new in 2009. I've also got a newer (2010) version of a 1966 reissue, with the Mother of Pearl block inlay frets--looking at that fretboard is like looking at the dashboard of a classic automobile, there's a certain comfort zone in the view that my thoughts get lost in. Fenders, especially Jaguars, are great for composing melodic music and songs, such a lean resonant tone coming off the strings [or rather through the pickups] that really serves chromatic contrast and subtleties. Lately though I'm breaking out the (2004) black Gibson SG Standard, because some old friends want to jam and we have the possibility of forming a full 5-piece, with me on rhythm guitar. The bass player, who is also the musical director because he is the most technically skilled, hates Fenders, so I have to play the Gibson, but there's no better solid guitar for the sort of rock-n-roll we will be playing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-30 23:43 by stonesnow.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 30, 2012 23:43

musical director because he is the most technically skilled, hates Fenders, so I have to play the Gibson

There is no valid reason to hate Fenders, besides snobbery, and snobbery is not a valid reason.

Date: September 30, 2012 23:50

Max'sKansasCity
musical director because he is the most technically skilled, hates Fenders, so I have to play the Gibson

There is no valid reason to hate Fenders, besides snobbery, and snobbery is not a valid reason.

Totally agree. The funny part is that he plays a Fender bass, but just doesn't like Fender guitars. But part of the thing about being in a band and making it work is that you've got to give a little, make concessions, avoid conflict. Besides, the music we'll be playing is better served by the meatier, fatter sound of the Gibson. But for songwriting, I do prefer the lean melodic qualities of a Fender.

Date: September 30, 2012 23:52

Gibsons can sound clean, melodic and sparkly.

Just turn down that gain knob.

Date: September 30, 2012 23:57

GravityBoy
Gibsons can sound clean, melodic and sparkly.

Just turn down that gain knob.

Thanks GB, I'll give that a try. I've always been a "full-gain" type with the Gibson.

Date: October 1, 2012 00:01

stonesnow
Max'sKansasCity

Totally agree. The funny part is that he plays a Fender bass, but just doesn't like Fender guitars. But part of the thing about being in a band and making it work is that you've got to give a little, make concessions, avoid conflict. Besides, the music we'll be playing is better served by the meatier, fatter sound of the Gibson. But for songwriting, I do prefer the lean melodic qualities of a Fender.
I actually said... but deleted... "good luck in the long term in a band with someone like this, becasue if he says you cant play a Fender now, who knows what is next"... but I deleted that, as I dont know your situation, and it aint my place to say it... but... I agree 1000% with what you said about how hard it is for band to stay together... too many/so many things come into play. Everyone has to try to get along.... so when I visualized someone telling everyone "You all cant play Fenders, but oh, I will be playing a Fender bass"... I just thought "Yikes!".

Good for you for trying to accommodate him... but when push comes to shove, and it finally gets ugly, be sure to smash him with your Fender, just for good measure, and to give him a good reason (story)to hate Fenders winking smiley

Date: October 1, 2012 00:02

Gain down, volume up (and treble probably).

Les Paul didn't play like Jimmy Page.

Date: October 1, 2012 00:04

stonesnow
Naturalust
stonesnow

I bought it new in 2009. I've also got a newer (2010) version of a 1966 reissue, with the Mother of Pearl block inlay frets--looking at that fretboard is like looking at the dashboard of a classic automobile, there's a certain comfort zone in the view that my thoughts get lost in. Fenders, especially Jaguars, are great for composing melodic music and songs, such a lean resonant tone coming off the strings [or rather through the pickups] that really serves chromatic contrast and subtleties. Lately though I'm breaking out the (2004) black Gibson SG Standard, because some old friends want to jam and we have the possibility of forming a full 5-piece, with me on rhythm guitar. The bass player, who is also the musical director because he is the most technically skilled, hates Fenders, so I have to play the Gibson, but there's no better solid guitar for the sort of rock-n-roll we will be playing.

Playing the Fender through a Gibson Amp and the Gibson through a Fender Amp seems to have magical effect.

Yes I like the Jaguars. Got a black original 1962 with dot inlay on the neck AND all around the perimiter of the front of the guitar. It's one of a kind. I did put a Gibson tune-o-matic bridge on it to make it more playable (Ouch). I set the action high and use it for slide work, those skinny necks are good for that. peace

Date: October 1, 2012 00:13

Max'sKansasCity
stonesnow
Max'sKansasCity

I actually said... but deleted... "good luck in the long term in a band with someone like this, becasue if he says you cant play a Fender now, who knows what is next"... but I deleted that, as I dont know your situation, and it aint my place to say it... but... I agree 1000% with what you said about how hard it is for band to stay together... too many/so many things come into play. Everyone has to try to get along.... so when I visualized someone telling everyone "You all cant play Fenders, but oh, I will be playing a Fender bass"... I just thought "Yikes!".

Good for you for trying to accommodate him... but when push comes to shove, and it finally gets ugly, be sure to smash him with your Fender, just for good measure, and to give him a good reason (story)to hate Fenders winking smiley

Thanks, Max. I believe his acoustic guitar is also a Fender. He just doesn't think Fender makes a good electric guitar. Another pet peeve of his is capos, which I often use for songwriting. But in this arrangement, I just come up with the basic guitar riff and the bass player structures it into a song shape and the lead singer writes lyrics over it. That basic formula will work. But as things move along, I will eventually bring in the Fender at some point, because I like the variety of sounds that come from different guitars. The main difficulty is just keeping this bass player interested in jamming period. We were putting something together last year, then he became incommunicado. Now he's wanting to jam again, so we'll see. So for my part it's Have Gibson, will travel.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 1, 2012 00:17

Since we're resurrecting this ancient thread, here's me with my Glidecam a few years ago...

Date: October 1, 2012 00:17

GravityBoy
Gain down, volume up (and treble probably).

Les Paul didn't play like Jimmy Page.

Thanks GB! I'll try this maybe later today when I sit down to practice.

Date: October 1, 2012 00:20

flacnvinyl
Since we're resurrecting this ancient thread, here's me with my Glidecam a few years ago...

I have a Strat that looks just like the one that guy across the room is playing, same Sunburst design, although it's only a Squire. Still, it's special to me though because it was my first guitar, purchased in 2005 at the tenderly ripe age of 38.

Date: October 1, 2012 00:22

There are effects pedals that do "Gibson to Fender".

Digitech does it.

But you should focus on getting variation from your clean Gibson.

Jazzers use humbuckers for a reason (except Ted Greene).

Date: October 1, 2012 00:23

stonesnow
Max'sKansasCity
stonesnow
Max'sKansasCity

Thanks, Max. I believe his acoustic guitar is also a Fender. He just doesn't think Fender makes a good electric guitar. Another pet peeve of his is capos, which I often use for songwriting. But in this arrangement, I just come up with the basic guitar riff and the bass player structures it into a song shape and the lead singer writes lyrics over it. That basic formula will work. But as things move along, I will eventually bring in the Fender at some point, because I like the variety of sounds that come from different guitars. The main difficulty is just keeping this bass player interested in jamming period. We were putting something together last year, then he became incommunicado. Now he's wanting to jam again, so we'll see. So for my part it's Have Gibson, will travel.
That seems to be the way one of my heros, Slash, does it.. and it has served him VERY well... We just saw him again last Thursday night, and he is THE MAN... mainly for the way he keeps on rolling... when one band falls apart, he just forms a new one... He doesnt waste any time/energy on bitching, dim words or law suits over band names.. he just keep on playing... He has Gibson/will travel/ GREAT MOTTO!.

Date: October 1, 2012 00:38

Naturalust
stonesnow
Naturalust
stonesnow

Playing the Fender through a Gibson Amp and the Gibson through a Fender Amp seems to have magical effect.

Yes I like the Jaguars. Got a black original 1962 with dot inlay on the neck AND all around the perimiter of the front of the guitar. It's one of a kind. I did put a Gibson tune-o-matic bridge on it to make it more playable (Ouch). I set the action high and use it for slide work, those skinny necks are good for that. peace

Yes, that's one of the things I like about Fenders, the skinny necks that I can wrap my fairly small hands around. For that same reason, my Fender Mustang bass is the only bass whose neck I can get my left hand around--I seem to have Bill Wyman syndrome in that regard.

I like the sound of a Fender going through a Vox amp and I have a Vox DA5 practice amp with its wide variety of settings through which I was able to write 100 songs in a single year (my 2010 was very productive).

As for the Gibson, that will be going through an Orange Crush (a classic British rock sound).

The Orange Micro Crush mini-amp is also a good buy for practicing by yourself in a small room.

Date: October 1, 2012 00:44

Hey Stonesnow!!!

I have a Fender Mustang bass (white Fender Japan). Love it. The neck is fantastic. I have flat wounds on it.

I also had a Vox DA5 until recently (brown grill cover)... it's a brilliant practice amp and great for home recording.

I had a DA20 was well.. sold them both but I'm going to buy another DA20, I miss it.

Date: October 1, 2012 00:50

My bass is identical to this.

Date: October 1, 2012 01:04

I did this through the DA5.

It got used in a New Zealand radio blues program as background music for an interview!

My one (sad) claim to fame.

Date: October 1, 2012 01:08

GravityBoy
Hey Stonesnow!!!

I have a Fender Mustang bass (white Fender Japan). Love it. The neck is fantastic. I have flat wounds on it.

I also had a Vox DA5 until recently (brown grill cover)... it's a brilliant practice amp and great for home recording.

I had a DA20 was well.. sold them both but I'm going to buy another DA20, I miss it.

Mine is an orange/rose (no. 281), very similar to this:

Date: October 1, 2012 01:23

Nice basses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-01 01:35 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: October 1, 2012 01:26

Nice.

Is that full scale or short scale?

I like the mustang because I have small hands.

Date: October 1, 2012 01:28

GravityBoy
I did this through the DA5.

It got used in a New Zealand radio blues program as background music for an interview!

My one (sad) claim to fame.

Nice one, GB. I like to use the tremolo setting myself. When I would take the DA5 out to open-mike nights I would always get positive comments about the tremolo effect. I have a song or two that I'm tempted to post in this thread that I recorded on my DA5, but I don't have a YouTube account. Any pointers?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-02 02:31 by stonesnow.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 11 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2048
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home