Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Who Will Be The Next Stone To Release A Solo Album?
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: February 10, 2009 18:50

This is how desperate I am for any Stones-related activity at the moment: I would actually welcome a solo album by any or all of the boys.

Despite the fact the Jagger's usually suck, and Charlie's aren't to my taste (not much into jazz; sorry, Charlie). Of course Keith is too lazy/drunk/arthiritic/rich to ever do another one, so I guess that leaves Ronnie, if he can get his head out of the bottle/his girlfriend's lap long enough to do one.

What do you all think ... will we ever see another solo album by any of these guys? If so, who and when, and will it be any good?

Re: Who Will Be The Next Stone To Release A Solo Album?
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 10, 2009 18:52

Ronnie - later this year is my guess but hasn't he been working on 18 solo album since 1990 something as it is? - and it will be so-so.

I don't think Keith can be bothered. And maybe he doesn't need to. It seems he doesn't want to.

Mick does them because he can, not because anyone cares to buy them.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 10, 2009 18:56

Bill "I'll take my revenge on you, bastards" Wyman winking smiley

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 10, 2009 18:59

ain't it funny that billy has been the most consistently active, both in the studio and on the road, of all the stones and ex-stones since his departure. gotta love the man...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 10, 2009 19:00

Si Si, that's remarkable...

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: February 10, 2009 19:02

From what was posted on here during the last year, I recall Ronnie being involved in a project based on cover songs and Mick having been in a studio with producer Dave Stewart. But Keith has also reportedly been in a studio for a few days together with Blondie Chaplin, so that may have been for a Blondie album.
I don't know anything about Charlie or Wyman or Taylor.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: February 10, 2009 19:10

...The next album will be a Rolling Stones Album, I'm sure!!

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: February 10, 2009 19:13

Blondie!

Date: February 10, 2009 19:29

Zack
Blondie!

With special guests Debbie Harry and John Stamos.

Posted by: perosand ()
Date: February 10, 2009 19:53

While you're waiting you can go to my website
on myspace and listen (buy) to some songs from my cd
'The Pavilion'
[profile.myspace.com]

My new cd 'Hidden Treasures' comes later this year!

Perry Blocker Sand

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 10, 2009 19:54

Keith hopefully. some country tunes with some great guests...Dylan would be cool.
Lucinda Williams too.

Date: February 10, 2009 19:56

duke richardson
Keith hopefully. some country tunes with some great guests...Dylan would be cool.
Lucinda Williams too.

wonderful idea. could probably pull this off with minimum effort and fuss. that it won't happen demonstrates exactly how much effort and fuss he's willing to put out these days.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: February 10, 2009 20:02

Keith:
Has recorded some songs with other artists, but I'd regard his input as minimal. Some strumming here, some background vocals there. It seems he has no intend of really being creative again, also his few contributions to A Bigger Bang show that. As much as I hate to say it, I think the chances are minimal.

Ronnie:
As usual he talks a lot and does little. We came to a point, where you cannot trust anything he says regarding musical plans... I think he'd want to do it, but he is just not able to organize it.

Mick:
Best chances for a solo album, I think. Is always active, writing and recording. The question here is just if it will be yet another attempt to be cool or if he will produce something substantial.

Charlie:
Can't really see him doing another Jazz album. He seems happy with horse fairs and whatever else he likes doing. Probably he would want another tour? But I can only guess...

Date: February 10, 2009 20:03

after all he's the one who said he'd be "playing rock in a wheelchair"

he's probably got some new songs, just needs to focus on recording them.

Date: February 10, 2009 20:07

duke richardson
after all he's the one who said he'd be "playing rock in a wheelchair"

he's probably got some new songs, just needs to focus on recording them.

Or was that "playing steel wheels in a rocking chair?" I can never remember.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 10, 2009 20:40

Mick Taylor cool smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: February 10, 2009 21:07

It'll never happen, but I'd like to hear Mick with some pure pop songs again rather than funk / rock. I was listening to his version of 'Out Of Time' today (from Metamorphosis) & thinking how cool it would've been if he'd cut an entire solo album like this during 1966-1967. Other than that, how about he forms a proper band (like Keith did with The Winos) & both records & tours with them?

But back to the question, yes, I think (apart from Bill) Mick is the most likely candidate for another solo album.

Date: February 10, 2009 21:08

Ronnie's girlfriend?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 10, 2009 21:55

To be fair, Bill hasn't done a solo album since STUFF in 1992. Serving as bass player/band leader for an oldies band doesn't really constitute making a solo album or performing solo tours. If Bill toured playing 80% Bill Wyman compositions with a few covers, then I'd acknowledge his accomplishments.

Mick Taylor has managed to record exactly two solo albums since leaving the Stones over 34 years ago. Despite the faithful claiming his songwriting is far superior to the Glimmers, he just isn't interested in writing and recording. He would rather play the blues in whatever venue he is most comfortable. The man has his integrety intact, but let's not confuse him with an active solo artist.

Ronnie records solo albums regularly. Its hit and miss whether they sit on a shelf and get cannibalized for his next attempt. The muse isn't there anymore (unless he's found a new one). SLIDE ON THIS (despite being a collaboration with Bernard) showed he was still in fine form as a songwriter and a player. Since then I suspect he has largely drunk away his talents. I would love to be proved wrong, but the world doesn't need another collection of drunken amateur demos like NOT FOR BEGINNERS. Yes, its harsh but its my opinion.

Mick clearly enjoys working as a solo artist more, but the money is with the Stones. Of course, if touring isn't in the offing, a studio album that sells two million copies worldwide with the band might not be worth the effort without the touring income compared with a solo album that sells half a million copies worldwide that can be done without any hassles.

Much is made of Keith's deterioration over the years. I don't think he's capable of another MAIN OFFENDER, but he could certainly turn out something comparable to "Still a Fool" and "You Win Again." Turn him loose with Blondie and George Recile. Let Rob Fraboni produce and Ben Elliott engineer and you've got a winner that won't be perceived as a commercial failure compared to Mick's sales. MAIN OFFENDER vs. WANDERING SPIRIT has more to do with Keith's declining interest in solo work than arthritis, years of abuse, head injuries, etc. I have no insider information. Just my thought.

Charlie doesn't need an excuse to make another jazz album when he's content to fill the same role for Tim Ries' projects. He'll pull together friends to play an engagement at Ronnie Scott's if he feels the need, but I would be surprised if he bothers to record another album. Like Bill, his role as drummer/band leader is fairly light. He's just a guy lucky enough to do what he wants.

Date: February 10, 2009 22:01

Rocky Dijon
To be fair, Bill hasn't done a solo album since STUFF in 1992. Serving as bass player/band leader for an oldies band doesn't really constitute making a solo album or performing solo tours. If Bill toured playing 80% Bill Wyman compositions with a few covers, then I'd acknowledge his accomplishments.

Charlie doesn't need an excuse to make another jazz album when he's content to fill the same role for Tim Ries' projects. He'll pull together friends to play an engagement at Ronnie Scott's if he feels the need, but I would be surprised if he bothers to record another album. Like Bill, his role as drummer/band leader is fairly light. He's just a guy lucky enough to do what he wants.

all the stones are lucky enough to do what they want. they've earned that. i don't see how this can affect the reality that bill (moreso than charlie) has maintained an active, prolific even, schedule of recording and touring since he departed. what diff does it make whether he writes songs?

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: February 10, 2009 22:05

Please, no more awful solo albums. A new Rolling Stones album is all that I want.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: February 10, 2009 22:13

Joss!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 10, 2009 22:17

"Ronnie - later this year is my guess but hasn't he been working on 18 solo album since 1990 something as it is? - and it will be so-so."

Hey, a review of a record that aint even been made yet!! A miracle.....

Most if not nearly all of Ronnies solo albums are pretty good....

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 10, 2009 22:26

Rocky Dijon

I would love to be proved wrong, but the world doesn't need another collection of drunken amateur demos like NOT FOR BEGINNERS. Yes, its harsh but its my opinion.

I find NFB one of Ronnies finest. He wasn't singing to good, but he was playing real well! That album has got a lot of soul and nerve.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: February 10, 2009 22:26

clear eyed assessments by Rocky Dijon. I agree with the George Recile/Rob Fraboni collaboration, regarding Keith. hope he actually does it.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: February 10, 2009 22:49

skipstone

Mick does them because he can, not because anyone cares to buy them.

speak for yourself!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 10, 2009 23:15

"collection of drunken amateur demos like NOT FOR BEGINNERS. Yes, its harsh but its my opinion."

And your wrong. It's was a strong effort.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 10, 2009 23:18

Chuck...?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 10, 2009 23:19

Sleepy City
It'll never happen, but I'd like to hear Mick with some pure pop songs again rather than funk / rock.

interesting idea, to have mick revisit the sound of pop 1966-67 (don't know why you'd call it "pure"), but does this kind of music exist anymore? Seems to me the pop music of today is funk/hip hop, smoothed out for the mainstream. Besides, this is probably the Stones era mick has the least interest in revisiting, to judge by their set lists. Though he does still pick 60s soul tunes to cover, and "Out of Time" is really based on a 60s soul bass line... and there was a revival of something like the sound with Amy Winehouse and Sharon Jones recently (and could one say people like Adele?)... but I still have a hard time imagining mick connecting with these people. At least while Lenny Kravitz and Wyclef Jean are still recording.

Date: February 10, 2009 23:28

George Recile isn't on either of Keith's albums nor anything commercial that I am aware of. He played drums on a friend of mine's album and I saw him with Dylan at Jazz Fest in 2002 or whenever that was. I heard him talk about recording with Keith and whatever but I've never been able to find anything. So...explain that please.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1540
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home