Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Stones Imitated Beatles, Did the Reverse Happen?
Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 20, 2010 02:35

I always thought "Cloud" was a rip of the McCoys' "Hang On, Sloopy" (which Andrew released in the U.K. on Immediate) and that "Ticket To Ride" was influenced by the Byrds' "Mr. Tambourine Man" (ironic since Roger McGuinn got a 12-string in the first place after seeing George's Rickenbacker in A Hard Day's Night).

My point? There was so much creativity happening all over the U.S. and U.K. in such a short time period that I think everyone was influenced by everyone to one degree or the other.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 20, 2010 02:39

So "hip" to bash the Beatles, isn't it? They only revolutionized pop music, songwriting, popular culture and fashion, and inspired about a million people to start bands and write their own songs. yes, the Beatles sure were talentless bubble-gum losers, weren't they?

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: July 20, 2010 02:49

I think they can take it.

Perhaps it's the cost of being so overrated for so many years, the backlash was inevitable.

Posted by: mrgrowl791 ()
Date: July 20, 2010 03:08

71Tele
So "hip" to bash the Beatles, isn't it? They only revolutionized pop music, songwriting, popular culture and fashion, and inspired about a million people to start bands and write their own songs. yes, the Beatles sure were talentless bubble-gum losers, weren't they?

Bobby turned The Beatles on.

Posted by: brandanman2 ()
Date: July 20, 2010 03:43

Well, some song can have more than one influence. "Louie Louie" influenced "Hang on Sloopy", but both influenced "Get off of my cloud", but "Get off of my cloud" still has some "Twist and shout" influence in there. Similarly, "Ticket to ride" could have two influences, "Mr. Tambourine Man" *and" "the Last Time", just listen to the riffs, you will spot the similarities.

Everyone most certainly had individuality, but there most definitely have been influences over time. The same applies to movies and books. Everything has to come from somewhere.

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: July 20, 2010 03:53

Oh who really cares? The beatles split up in '70, and the stones are still around. nobody told the beatles to split up. bet they regret it!>grinning smiley<

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: July 20, 2010 04:07

never "got" that band

Date: July 20, 2010 05:06

mickscarey
never "got" that band

Funny, they always said nice things about you.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: July 20, 2010 05:16

it's okay, mickscarey. sometimes music can be a little too highbrow for you. nothing to be ashamed about.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 20, 2010 05:26

Filip020169
I always saw "Tell me (you're coming back to me)" as a 'Fab 4 spoof'; a genuine parody of the Beatles, done by the Stones... the grotesque sounding vocal harmonies, the 'sirupy' chorus, the lame beat, etc. ...

Not to be offensive, but that's ridiculous. I don't think the Stones were mocking or parodying the hands that originally fed them.
On the contrary, the Stones were hoping to write material as well as the Beatles, but obviously an unsuccessful attempt imo.

Date: July 20, 2010 06:13

Tseverin
I think they can take it.

Perhaps it's the cost of being so overrated for so many years, the backlash was inevitable.

If there was a backlash it's because they were so good and people were/are envious, not because they were overrated.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: July 20, 2010 06:21

George Harrison once admited that the "Day Tripper" riff was the Beatles' attempt to come up with a riff that was similar to "The Last Time

Daytripper was Lennon's riff. He was playing around with Albert King's "Born Under A Bad Sign" and he wrote the riff.
It isn't just me or everyone else who hears the similarities, Lennon said so himself.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 20, 2010 07:47

windmelody
Come together is inspired by the Stones.

Nah, Come Together is flat out lifted from Chuck Berry's You Can't Catch Me.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 20, 2010 07:59

Doxa

(All in all, I think the role of The Beatles as the trend leaders - after their breakthrough - is hugely over-estimated. More is to say that they were very quick to respond to any new intersting idea and a potential trend and adapt it and make their own, very succesfull versions out of it. This IS a mark of their great genious. The Stones, were in this sense quite similar to them.)

- Doxa

I have often maintained that belief Doxa. The Beatles popularized previously underground sounds, but I don't think were as progressive as The Kinks, The Who or The Yardbirds in their approach to music.

Sleepy City
Close: It was after reading a review for 'I Can See For Miles', but when Macca actually heard the song he thought it was nothing like what he read in the review, so he attempted to make the song he imagined it to be.

-Sleepy City

Thank God Pete Townshend was a better writer than that. Helter Skelter is one of the most annoying Beatle Songs, and I Can See For Miles is "miles" better than that noise.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 20, 2010 08:57

Imitated? Three or four english band did make more than two good albums in the sixties and both Beatles and Stones is amongst them, but they all imitated Frank Valli & The Four Seasons...grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1993
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home