Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones changed my life!
Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: February 4, 2009 23:19

Sitting here with my mate, groovin to the Stones and we were talkin about key points in our lives.

Just told him about how, when I was around 14 I heard a Stones song on the TV, Jumpin Jack Flash I think, and was so taken by it that I was telling everyone from family to friends.

Anyhoo, I was telling my grandparents about this song when my Gran mentioned that my Dad, who had died when I was about 8, used to have a few of their records, and might still be in a cupboard upstairs. Up I went and went through a treasure trove old classic stones LP, Beggars Banquet, Aftermath, Let It Bleed, Exile, Sticky Fingers etc.

From that point on my life changed. Right now I'm a 35 year old rocker, long hair, tattoos, leather jacket etc. The Stones opened up a wonderful world of rock n roll,

For the Stones themselves, I've seen 'em right across the world, had so many adventures. Drove across Europe in my Camper van, met some wonderful people (Stonevikings - great guys!) and the Stones have provided the soundtrack to a lot of it.

It's a great life, with a great soundtrack!!

Long life rock 'n' roll & Keep on rockin!!

Re: Rolling Stones changed my life!
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 4, 2009 23:21

this is good balance to all the many lives the stones have destroyed. keep those stories coming!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: February 4, 2009 23:23

what ya talkin' about, T&A?
I don't think many people drugged themselves to death 'cause of them... And in the past they rather kept regular recordings coming out so no need to get angry :-)

Posted by: Slim Harpo ()
Date: February 4, 2009 23:48

Well there was a time when it suited the Stones myth maybe that those who couldn't keep up fell by the wayside ... Jimmy Miller, Gram, Brian of course...

Tho maybe T & A is being ironic?

Date: February 4, 2009 23:50

Slim Harpo
Well there was a time when it suited the Stones myth maybe that those who couldn't keep up fell by the wayside ... Jimmy Miller, Gram, Brian of course...

Tho maybe T & A is being ironic?

i was, but now that you mention it....hmmm...they do have a little makin' up to do...

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 4, 2009 23:54

Thanks for this post Monkeytonkman. You are 35, I am 53, same digits LOL. Once you are in the Stones, they will never let you go.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 5, 2009 00:10

I'll say Rock and Roll changed me and The Rolling Stones were part of it. Music was, is and will remain a fascinating force. A day without that goddamn rock and roll music is just not worth it.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 5, 2009 01:32

Nice post Monkeytonkman, I can say I had a similiar experience, but a few years earlier. On a river canoe trip near the Hudson Bay in the north of Canada, we picked up this new song Satisfaction on the radio....and in that instant my life changed. It wasn't because I just discovered Rock"n"roll but it was what the Rolling Stones came along and did to Rock"n"roll....and me. That they went on and amassed the greatest catalog ever makes them indeed the soundtrack of our lives, and I am happy for that.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: February 5, 2009 01:40

For me it was listening to Ya Yas and then seeing a midnight showing of Gimme Shelter the very next weekend. I was hooked for life. Four short years later I saw the infamous 78 tour - I was a lifer for sure. Long live the Stones, no one bitches about them more than me, but I love that band. Let's hope for another tour soon.

Date: February 5, 2009 01:44

Shawn20
no one bitches about them more than me.

get in the back of the line, dude....

Date: February 5, 2009 20:41

Totally psyched about the news of a new tour. Bring it on, lots more adventures and great rockin to be done.

Bring it on, and bollocks to all the naysayers! If they play, then I'm up for it

Keep on rockin!!!

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 6, 2009 03:45

Monkeytonkman
Totally psyched about the news of a new tour. Bring it on, lots more adventures and great rockin to be done.

Bring it on, and bollocks to all the naysayers! If they play, then I'm up for it

Keep on rockin!!!

Here Here

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: February 6, 2009 04:19

Shawn20
For me it was listening to Ya Yas and then seeing a midnight showing of Gimme Shelter the very next weekend. I was hooked for life. Four short years later I saw the infamous 78 tour - I was a lifer for sure. Long live the Stones, no one bitches about them more than me, but I love that band. Let's hope for another tour soon.

Same for me, only a few years earlier and in a little different sequence.
Heard Brown Sugar on the radio, saw Gimme Shelter on television, then Ya Ya's, then saw two shows on the '75 Tour.

But it was really hearing Brown Sugar and seeing Gimme Shelter around the same time that did it.
Full blown hooked to this day.

Posted by: Oveinvain ()
Date: February 6, 2009 20:02

Hey, Monkeytonkman!

Nice story about your big discovery in life!
I wish you a nice trip in Asia end wherever you go in the nearest future.
I also hope to see you again at the next Stones concert!

Live well my friend and keep on rockin as you always do!!!

Ove

Date: February 6, 2009 20:03

the stones greatest contribution to my life has been a reduced bank account.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: February 6, 2009 20:26

Thanks Gaz aka Monkeytonkman, hope to see you on the next tour again! We´ll provide the party, you know it!!!

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-06 20:30 by mickijaggeroo.

Posted by: Sonny ()
Date: February 6, 2009 20:38

Hi Monkeytonkman aka GAZ, Cheers my friend!
[www.stonesvikings.com]

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 6, 2009 22:50

Guess they did just that..........everybody have a rocking weekend drive carefully....cheers!

Posted by: Oveinvain ()
Date: February 6, 2009 23:44

It's a pity that Sweden Rock festival and Bruce Springsteen in Stockholm happens on the same weekend this summer.
I know you will be at Sweden Rock and I will be at the Springsteen gig.

[www.stonesvikings.com]

Date: February 8, 2009 17:33

Hey, Stones Vikings!!! great to hear from you.

Ove my friend. I will be a Sweden rock festival, sorry you won't be there but you will have a great time with old brucey!!! look forward to meeting you again. My flight to asia is in 2 weeks time, am spending about three months there, but am coing back for the European festivals.

Sonny, mickjaggeroo!!!! so good to hear from you guys. I would like to thank all of the stonesvikings for making me feel so welcome on the last tour. The tour was fantastic, but you guys really were the icing on the cake!!!

Look forward to the next tour. will be great to see all you guys again!!

Keep on rocking brothers and sister!!!!

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: February 8, 2009 19:44

Yep, we definitely need a tour, Gaz! Too slow on the partyfront right now...

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1441
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home