Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Was the 11/4/02 Wiltern show Mick's greatest vocal performance of the last 20 yrs??
Posted by: starstar74 ()
Date: February 3, 2009 01:21

When I mean great vocals, I don't mean perfect pitch, I mean vintage Mick Jagger GROWL! Beast of Burden That's how Strong My Love,CYHMK,Rock ME baby STray cat, all with that ferocious Mick growl which was missing all of the Voodoo lounge tour, but reappeared during most of the B2b shows during OOC, and then pretty much disappeared during the BANG tour. Opninions??

Re: Was the 11/4/02 Wiltern show Mick's greatest vocal performance of the last 20 yrs??
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 3, 2009 01:25

well, i was there - and was often close enough to mick that he bumped into my cellphone a couple times. i'd say mick was definitely "on" as a performer....nothing unusual about that. he had that one "out of body" moment during stray cat...but as far as just plain "singing?" hmmmm...nothing particular out of the ordinary...

Re: Was the 11/4/02 Wiltern show Mick's greatest vocal performance of the last 20 yrs??
Date: February 3, 2009 01:27

What do you mean by 'out of body' T&A?

Date: February 3, 2009 01:29

Palace Revolution 2000

mick even talked about it in a newspaper interview later....he was on the catwalk (maybe 5 feet from me at this point) and during the line "why don't you bring her upstairs" - he kinda...well - FREAKED OUT! the audience recordings that circulate tell part of the story - but you had to be there to truly "experience" it. many of us just stared at one another with raised eyebrows afterward...

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: February 3, 2009 08:41

T&A
Palace Revolution 2000

mick even talked about it in a newspaper interview later....he was on the catwalk (maybe 5 feet from me at this point) and during the line "why don't you bring her upstairs" - he kinda...well - FREAKED OUT! the audience recordings that circulate tell part of the story - but you had to be there to truly "experience" it. many of us just stared at one another with raised eyebrows afterward...

oh yes, i think i remember. i was right there too - in front of keith, front row. a peak experience show (as was aragon, where i was standing about where you were for the wiltern - i remember you - i think you were up on stage for solomon burke?). i need to listen to the CD again.

Date: February 3, 2009 17:38

little queenie
T&A
Palace Revolution 2000

oh yes, i think i remember. i was right there too - in front of keith, front row. a peak experience show (as was aragon, where i was standing about where you were for the wiltern - i remember you - i think you were up on stage for solomon burke?). i need to listen to the CD again.

yup...with my buddy - we were both wearing those button-down dragonfly stones tongues shirts.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: February 3, 2009 19:17

no. mick's best vocal performance was at roseland for 'that's how strong my love is'. i could not believe what i was witnessing.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: February 3, 2009 19:54

I agree with you sundevil,i think,Roseland was the BEST show of this century.
Along with Cirkus krone-2003.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: February 3, 2009 20:14

sundevil
no. mick's best vocal performance was at roseland for 'that's how strong my love is'. i could not believe what i was witnessing.

I was present for that and it was absolutely astonishing. Electricity running through the crowd as he dug harder and harder into the song.

Apart from the energy of the performance, that night had two things going for it. One was the thrilling mini-set of R&B and Soul covers that touched Motown ("Go-Go" & "Ain't Too Proud"); Stax/Volt ("That's How Strong"); and Atlantic ("Everybody Needs...")

Second was the run of "Rambler," "Rock Me Baby," "Stray Cat," and "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'." It was so heavy and sleazy and bluesy-they got into a groove that really leaned to that 1969 rudeness.

Would love to hear a good recording of the whole night. Afterwards, tons of people from the show walked out into the warm, clear evening and around the corner to Virgin Records in Times Square to pick up that day's new release-"40 Licks." Everbody was blown away...

PS: At least in my "preview" mode, I'm seeing these asinine "winking smileys." They're awful-I didn't put them in my message and I don't know how to get rid of them. Please advise...

Date: February 3, 2009 20:19

there is a good recording---

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 3, 2009 20:49

I think only L'Wren would know that for sure.

And I guess that's the long and short of it! >grinning smiley<

Date: February 3, 2009 23:08

The band needs to get back to doing club gigs again. They really shine at those gigs, and keeps them on their toes. Licks was such a great and unique tour!

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: February 3, 2009 23:30

Wiltern and Roseland are great.I've always thought that Licks was one of Jaggers best tours because he really pushed himself to reach notes he hadn't tried to get to for years,like in Angie for instance and all the examples mentioned here.Pound for pound ie considering his age at the time,I would put it above Europe 73 where he had it but didnt really try to use it,'76 and Voodoo where he rarely moved from a lower register.

It's as if he knew he only had so long to get the best out his vocal range and aside from a couple of early Bang shows(Moncton is a good one imo),he would have been right

Date: February 4, 2009 00:29

still ill
Wiltern and Roseland are great.I've always thought that Licks was one of Jaggers best tours because he really pushed himself to reach notes he hadn't tried to get to for years,like in Angie for instance and all the examples mentioned here.Pound for pound ie considering his age at the time,I would put it above Europe 73 where he had it but didnt really try to use it,'76 and Voodoo where he rarely moved from a lower register.

It's as if he knew he only had so long to get the best out his vocal range and aside from a couple of early Bang shows(Moncton is a good one imo),he would have been right
Agreed, his singing had little power during the Bang tour, especially after a couple months into it.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 4, 2009 00:36

That moment was very special. However, musically speaking, Anaheim two days before was probably an overall better show.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: February 4, 2009 11:28

Rev. Robert W.
sundevil

PS: At least in my "preview" mode, I'm seeing these asinine "winking smileys." They're awful-I didn't put them in my message and I don't know how to get rid of them. Please advise...

it's the quote next to the end of the parenthesis - it's reading it like a smile.

Posted by: socialdistortion ()
Date: February 6, 2009 18:13

I was there - was GREAT

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 7, 2009 08:20

Damn it to hell that there is no VIDEO of the Wiltern except for the excerpts on 4 flicks.

Is there more than one audio circulating and what are the differences if so?

I wasnt gonna pay 800 at the time for a ticket so I listened as best I could from the top of a parking structure right behind the Wiltern.

But I did go to Anaheim which was good except for the part where they showed the friggin WOrld Series victory of the ANgels over the Giants when Mick sang "I was a pitcher down in a slump." I was booing in a sea of cheers.

And what was so godlike about Circus Krone -- I have been told by someone who was there that it was the best stones show she has ever seen and that the hot, sweaty atmosphere contributed in no uncertain way to that.

That it was possibly the best of all the small Licks tour shows.

p

Date: February 7, 2009 19:06

Cirkus krone was good, but wiltern was better. Wiltern show should have been used as the club show on FF.

Date: February 7, 2009 19:10

i'll toss in a vote for orpheum - better than circus or wiltern, imo.....

Date: February 8, 2009 01:40

starstar74
Cirkus krone was good, but wiltern was better. Wiltern show should have been used as the club show on FF.

who here went to both the Wiltern and the Circus Krone??

and I wonder if we have people who went to several, perhaps the vast majority, of theater shows on the Licks tour, both North America and Europe and wherever else who might be in a position to comment.

p

Date: February 8, 2009 01:48

can only comment on orpheum and wiltern....i had a little better vantage at the wiltern, but from a pure performance standpoint, i'd go with the former, which also had a slightly better setlist. there was also the "wow" factor, as it was the first theater gig of the tour and much of what we saw wasn't very forecastable...

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 8, 2009 04:45

starstar74
When I mean great vocals, I don't mean perfect pitch, I mean vintage Mick Jagger GROWL! Beast of Burden That's how Strong My Love,CYHMK,Rock ME baby STray cat, all with that ferocious Mick growl which was missing all of the Voodoo lounge tour, but reappeared during most of the B2b shows during OOC, and then pretty much disappeared during the BANG tour. Opninions??

starstar74... I swear to GOD you're inside my Stones head.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: douwew ()
Date: February 8, 2009 12:08

Best vocal was in That's how strong my love is in Vredenburg Utrecht 2003!
Almost cracked my spine; so intense!

Douwew

Date: February 8, 2009 18:45

i was at the Cirkus krone show.

Date: February 9, 2009 08:20

and?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2243
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home