Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: OT-Springsteen on the Super Bowl
Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: February 2, 2009 05:22

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-02 18:31 by stone-relics.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: February 2, 2009 05:23

Well to their credit, the Stones came out with 6 musicians a singer and background singers...The Boss had a whole circus out there... The Stones played Start me up a song they dont play very well live - ever- , always rough on the edges and Satisfaction - well is Satisfaction with Keith making me cringe with that horrendous solo, that song should be played faster like 81 - great version. The Boss played some kind of rehearsed medley and played some good crowd sing along pleasers...didnt get the singers.

The score? The Boss wins after Keith's fumble on the Satisfaction solo - it was too awfull.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-02 05:26 by Loudei.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: February 2, 2009 05:27

Bruce showed the world what rock and roll should be: energy, humour, showmanship and the joy of being alive. All packed into 12 minutes!>grinning smiley<

Date: February 2, 2009 05:29

SHIT I forgot that new song....what;s name? Rough what?

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: February 2, 2009 05:32

<<, rather than the buxom-blonde twenty-somethings>>

Hey Edith; did you miss the blonde in the red dress?

I thought it was pretty good 12 min. The sound was god-awful though, especially on the drums.

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: February 2, 2009 05:33

Springsteen delivers promised party at Super Bowl:

By MITCH STACY, Associated Press Writer Mitch Stacy, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 36 mins ago
Bruce Springsteen performs at halftime during the NFL Super Bowl XLIII football AP – Bruce Springsteen performs at halftime during the NFL Super Bowl XLIII football game between the Arizona …

TAMPA, Fla. – Bruce Springsteen looked into the camera Sunday night and told the people watching at home to "put the chicken fingers down and turn the television all the way up!"

Then he proceeded to give the Super Bowl crowd and the millions watching on TV three high-energy Boss standards, with the title song from his new album wedged in among them for good measure.

The 59-year-old Springsteen and his E Street Band opened with "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out," then without pause ripped through "Born To Run" and "Working on a Dream," before winding up the set with "Glory Days."

Springsteen, dressed all in black, came out Sunday night with the considerable challenge of packing the bombastic energy of one of his rollicking, three-hour concerts into an abbreviated Super Bowl halftime set.

That turned out to be no problem. He had fireworks, an expansive stage, about 1,000 people on the field and help from a Raymond James Stadium crowd equipped with small flashlights.

A five-piece horn section helped saxophonist Clarence Clemons blast out "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out," and a gospel choir came on stage to back Springsteen, his wife and bandmate, Patti Scialfa, and guitarist Steven Van Zandt during "Working on a Dream," the title song from his 24th album.

Springsteen is riding a new wave of exposure and popularity, playing for President Barack Obama in Washington before the inauguration, releasing his 24th album this week and winning a Golden Globe award for his song from the Mickey Rourke movie "The Wrestler."

In 1988, Chubby Checker was the first popular musician to perform at halftime, and Michael Jackson raised the bar in 1993. His sister Janet provided the show's most infamous moment with 2004's "wardrobe malfunction."

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: February 2, 2009 05:34

give it to ac/dc next year

they'll settle any and all arguments
-----

Date: February 2, 2009 05:40

GOOD CALL!

hbwriter
give it to ac/dc next year

they'll settle any and all arguments
-----

Date: February 2, 2009 05:47

What a great 12 minutes, he joked about the time limit, very fuuny
He played a good song mix, He "Bossed it up",, ,it all seemed real,
Rock and roll is all about sincerity,,,and whne you can fake that,,,you got it made.

I am a middle of the road Bruce fan, but tonight he was great.
1000x times better than some recent half times ( Janet Jackson, prince)
maybe 1.0934% better than the Stones halftime show,,,,,and I say that begrudgingly.
But Mick and the boyz had their part in tonights show, they helped pave the road.

No blows the Stones away,,,But Bruce was pretty good ..imho.,

oh,,,
and there a game tooo..and it was GREAT!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-02 05:51 by Gregg_in_KansasCity.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: February 2, 2009 05:52

it was so vegas; i was embarrassed for bruce and his reputation, even though i find both personally repulsive. The performance lacked integrity, authenticity as well as both rock and roll. It was sad.

OLDKR

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: February 2, 2009 05:57

Bruce needs to mix in a salad every now and then. The sound (and by sound I mean the horn section) was good - he still looks like a manager of a Jiffy Lube to me. I'll take Keith and Ronnie any day. Just my opinion.

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: February 2, 2009 06:03

I thought the Boss was on fire.

Date: February 2, 2009 06:05

he still looks like a manager of a Jiffy Lube to me
--

that's funny--didn't he play a mechanic in one of those 80s videos? I'm on Fire, was it?

they shoulda had him drag courtney cox out of the crowd to dance, seriously!

Date: February 2, 2009 06:13

Springsteen haters come out of the woodwork.. god knows what he's done to earn such enmity...seems like a nice guy.. plays ROCK AND ROLL (If you don't see the connection to chuck berry with springsteen you're just not paying attention)..stands up for the little guy here and there...keeps ticket prices low... you got to wonder what else he could do...

Posted by: noexpectations ()
Date: February 2, 2009 06:15

He looked like he was in pain. The Stones were dreadful. The Boss looked like he was going to have a depends moment. But for 5 million clams.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 2, 2009 06:36

bruce was very good i enjoyed it but he blew nothing out of the water much less the stones, and btw bruce should lay off the twinkies before bed time

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 2, 2009 06:42

Angus MacBagpipe
Bruce showed the world what rock and roll should be: energy, humour, showmanship and the joy of being alive. All packed into 12 minutes!>grinning smiley<

humor? i didn't see anything funny.

re: stoned in dc's use of the term "Springsteen haters".....

are you always such an extremist? negatively critiquing a performance
is not HATE.

while he sang...he was fine. when he tried humor...it was lame.
sincere? it was 12 minutes....rehearsed & contrived...a live commercial.
hardly any sincerity involved IMO.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 2, 2009 06:45

Some of you couldn't wait to bash Bruce, but who will be clamoring for tickets for the tour? Same old griping, same old sold-out shows. Get a clue and get over yourselves.

Date: February 2, 2009 06:58

stoned in washington dc
Springsteen haters come out of the woodwork.........

not just bashing Bruce, pretty much bashing anything/everything
it is amusing here.

Whne I read these comments
I visualize a chicken coop and a bunch of hens gossiping
and "OH HOW EMEBBARRASING" ,,,"OH THIS !!" "OH THAT!!' cluck buc buc buc...
hand on hip,,,wagging a finger....heads bobbing back and forth......BUC BUC BUC

I agree get over yourIMOs....,,
but it will never happen...buc buc buc buc buc clucked the hens,,,
like a bunch of grumpy old women judging/bashing/insulting anyone...... anyone whom is not there........ LOL..

Posted by: moosman ()
Date: February 2, 2009 07:15

Well, I just watched them both, and I'm amazed how great The Stones were. Bruce played a safe set, that had some warmth, but no real fire. The Stones, in retrospect, sounded like a rock and roll band. And, in Keith's solo I hear the sound, noise, and fury that brought me to the music so many years ago. At the time I thought their performance was nothing. But put up against a "pro" like Bruce, I see why somebody once said, "I'd rather see the Stones on a bad night, than Bruce on a good one." If I want a professional I'll hire a lawyer.

Date: February 2, 2009 07:15

when did springsteen diehards become such a humorless bunch of old ladies?

Date: February 2, 2009 07:21

hbwriter

smiling smiley i agree.

Date: February 2, 2009 07:25

hbwriter

boy you got that wrong.. i'm no springsteen diehard (AT ALL!) but i don't watch the half time show and the minute the act ends post on IORR that he sucked and is the worse thing ever..and that he's got the worse band..and its not rock and rolll .. and he looked like he's wearing depends!

Date: February 2, 2009 07:37

stoned in washington dc
hbwriter

boy you got that wrong.. i'm no springsteen diehard (AT ALL!) but i don't watch the half time show and the minute the act ends post on IORR that he sucked and is the worse thing ever..and that he's got the worse band..and its not rock and rolll .. and he looked like he's wearing depends!

wow ...you sure do exaggerate a lot. and at no point did hbwriter ever say he
was talking about you. get your dictionary out and look up NARCISSIST...not everything is about you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-02 07:40 by sweet neo con.

Date: February 2, 2009 07:39

buc buc buc ...cluck...cluck

so funny.

Some people were raised
"if you dont have something kind to say, why say anything at all"

other people were raised in a chicken coop.

Date: February 2, 2009 07:45

thanks, neo--i was thinking the same thing in regards to what d.c. wrote - that is, after i was able to decipher his post.

just remember, it isn't okay to say the boss was "okay" at halftime - or even "good"

anything less than "HE RAWKED, HE WAS GOD LIKE, THE SAVIOUR, OMNIPOTENT, OUR LEADER, THE FUTURE!" and you'll be dismissed as an out of touch naysayer.

hmmm...remind you of any other current hero worship?

man, this stuff is getting old.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 2, 2009 08:07

hbwriter

At around the same time you and Sweet Neo Con became haters. How many different ways can you say agenda. Get over it boys your guy lost the election. Don't try to tell me that isn't what pisses you guys off so much. I thought it was an excellent performance.For perspective purposes,I watched the game and halftime show with a bunch of friends. Most of whom usually just tolerate my Springsteen obsession. But are not Bruce fans. They would have no problem telling me if they didn't like it. They were skeptical going in. But afterwards,I got a whole bunch of,now I know why you like him so much. They were impressed by his energy and charisma. Amazing what an open mind can do for you.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: February 2, 2009 08:24

I happen to respect Bruce Springsteen and I loved most of his early work (Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, and Nebraska are masterpieces of Rock and Roll Drama) and some of his mid-period work (parts of Born in the USA and Tunnel of Love). I saw him live in the 1970's several times and was always treated to an inspired performance.

What I saw tonight was bloated, over-wrought parody.

In my opinion Bruce Springsteen's Super Bowl set was a near-embarrassment. His glaring misconception - that maximum effort and hyperbolic over-enthusiasm stands for meaning and energy - was in full glare. With wife in tow and the St. Mary's Church Holy Roller Band blaring behind him, a plump Boss pumped up the volume and did a burlesque version of his Man Of The People shtick...he nearly attacked the camera several times and seemed about to immolate in gassed-up joy.

What I really noticed - when I got past the hoopla - was that his voice is shot for material that demands real singing (as opposed to cheerleading or singing in lower registers for his more 'serious' material). Born To Run was horrible, and his idea of emotive phrasing is gritting his teeth and forcing the notes out as if he were attempting to pass stool that had stuck in his intestines for a week. The gestures were broad, the music was a cacophony, and the over-populated E Street Band plodding...and I don't dig medleys...

For a lowest-common denominator intermission show, for Bruce fanatics, and for most of the people who look at this stuff and think that sound and fury signifies talent and passion it was passable and even fun. For people who appreciate Springsteen's music and have invested in his oeuvre it was caricature...the "referee" at the end putting the icing on the manure pie.

"...blew the Stones off the stage..."? Bullsh*t. The Stones were rough and fast and sexy...a two-seater roadster rumbling down the highway...the E-Streeters were a pick-up truck careening down the street busting gaskets and spitting oil...

Date: February 2, 2009 08:30

scl--where did i say (or even imply i) hate the guy?

see, you're busy proving my point--i said i thought he was good tonight--did you even see that?

But i'm a "hater" - in your own words right there you describe your "Springsteen obsession." I say I thought it was decent, but you "hear" hate - as i've posted before, it's that kind of idolatry that, for me, gets very obnoxious and turns a lot of regular fans away. Your obsession makes you blind and any kind of lukewarm response or (God forbid) negative critique about your hero sends you into a froth.

And "my boy" lost the election? How the hell do you know who i voted for? What, do you Springsteen-ologists have some special power?

Now I remember when I got lukewarm on Springsteen--in college when I was trapped listening to his sycophant diehards drone on (dateless and lonely) about Rosalita and Wendy.

Funny how some things never change.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 2, 2009 08:46

hbwriter
I thought the acoustic guitars were too low in the mix smiling smiley

(you need TWO of them??)

Out of that entire performance,that's what you are going to criticize? That's like watching a Stones show and saying Blondie and Bernard were'nt very good. How many people go to see them?

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1427
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home